• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sumpies wanted

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
If you think about applying for any jobs (but especially in London) please think about where you would live before jumping ship (or plane!)
London Allowances don't really allow you to live in London and to hire a gaff can be as costly as buying nowadays.

I don't know anything about these jobs specifically - but I would just like to give some advice from personal experience about the errors made in changing jobs just for monetary reward.

The grass can sometimes look greener because of the bog underneath!

theladf

Cynic & Conspiracy Theorist
when it says 'competitive salary', what's the going rate?

I don't want to put anything on this thread regarding salary that may be inaccurate I only found out the rate once I was made an offer. Save to say that I left as a Sgt last year and my pay has increased, plus there's almost always overtime to be had (should you so wish).

Any other info wanted PM me if you wish to.

Shugster

Warrant Officer
If you think about applying for any jobs (but especially in London) please think about where you would live before jumping ship (or plane!)
London Allowances don't really allow you to live in London and to hire a gaff can be as costly as buying nowadays.

I don't know anything about these jobs specifically - but I would just like to give some advice from personal experience about the errors made in changing jobs just for monetary reward.

The grass can sometimes look greener because of the bog underneath!

I lived in the USA for a year, I had plenty of cash but no life as my boss flogged me everyday!

So I moved to Germany, I get less money but it goes further and more importantly I have time for something called a life.

Money is nice, but it's no good if you can't enjoy it.

As Rigga says, you need to weigh up everything not just how many beer vouchers you get.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I lived in the USA for a year, I had plenty of cash but no life as my boss flogged me everyday!

So I moved to Germany, I get less money but it goes further and more importantly I have time for something called a life.

Money is nice, but it's no good if you can't enjoy it.

As Rigga says, you need to weigh up everything not just how many beer vouchers you get.:pDT_Xtremez_31:

Indeed but if you are used to being away it is not so hard to have a job away from home.......I'm currently doing 5 weeks on 5 weeks off and it is just about right.....the pay is great (salaried...monthly) and the company pay expenses straight away.

I am probably being spoiled, this being my first job since leaving the RAF...........I would recommend it to EVERYONE if you want effectively twice what you have now.......

Crack on...................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Shugster

Warrant Officer
Indeed but if you are used to being away it is not so hard to have a job away from home.......I'm currently doing 5 weeks on 5 weeks off and it is just about right.....the pay is great (salaried...monthly) and the company pay expenses straight away.

I am probably being spoiled, this being my first job since leaving the RAF...........I would recommend it to EVERYONE if you want effectively twice what you have now.......

What do you do then Tashy?

And yes, I too got a big payrise by heading to civvie street.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I'm currently doing 5 weeks on 5 weeks off and it is just about right.....the pay is great (salaried...monthly) and the company pay expenses straight away.

Just out of interest, how often were you away on average on your last sqn?

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Just out of interest, how often were you away on average on your last sqn?

On average did the 2 months in qatar every year plus normal dets...was probably about 4 months per year....and probably averaged that in the years before proper sqn life.

Crack on.................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

So i will probably do more away now than in my RAF life but the pay and GUARANTEED time off will more than make up for that.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
What do you do then Tashy?

And yes, I too got a big payrise by heading to civvie street.:pDT_Xtremez_30:

At the moment i am a Seismic Observer trainee.......and earning more than i did as a Fairy Cpl.

It is 5 weeks on 5 weeks off but the time off is yours to do as you want....and as long as you stay for a year it is all TAX FREE............I'm sure you can all work out how much that means.......so far it's brilliant.

Crack on..................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

I have also had offers for inrterview for ROV trainee but I have put them on hold untill i have become a fully fledged observer then maybe i will look elsewhere if the money dictates

Last edited: