• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Starting employment before your actual out date

zipfish

Mr
I believe that this is frowned upon, yet a lot of people do it anyway. In fact I was planning to do it myself. The problem is that the company I'm trying to work for says it had problems with a RAF bloke previously who started working for them before he should have. So they don't want to employ me until I'm free of RAF baggage.

I can understand this point of view, the problem is that my terminal/annual/resettlement leave etc add up to quite a bit of time, in fact nearly 5 months. Surely it's crazy for the RAF to insist that I just sit on my arse for this amount of time! I would just like to get on with my life.

Is there a way round this? Someone I can apply to?

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I believe that this is frowned upon, yet a lot of people do it anyway. In fact I was planning to do it myself. The problem is that the company I'm trying to work for says it had problems with a RAF bloke previously who started working for them before he should have. So they don't want to employ me until I'm free of RAF baggage.

I can understand this point of view, the problem is that my terminal/annual/resettlement leave etc add up to quite a bit of time, in fact nearly 5 months. Surely it's crazy for the RAF to insist that I just sit on my arse for this amount of time! I would just like to get on with my life.

Is there a way round this? Someone I can apply to?

Officially it's a no-no, however if the company has any worth they should be able to sort something out.....how about you "suggest" they take you on as "work experience" or work attachment (or some other worded bo11ox) but then the day after you are "officially" out of the RAF they pay you a "Welcome" payment equal to the time you have done.......everyone happy....especially you as you effectively have had 2 wages coming in for that time :)

Crack on.................:pDT_Xtremez_09:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
Tashy has got it just about right, and I know people who have done exactly that. You can in fact apply to work for a civvy company during annual and terminal leave. There are a couple of no-nos, e.g., security work and work for foreign governments, but other types of employment usually get approved.

You cannot take paid employment while on Graduated Resettlement Time, but as Tashy says, you can take an unpaid Civilian Work Attachment, then receive a 'Golden Hello' when you officially start work for them.

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Dont know if this will help there is a form available that goes via your CO that allows you to take a part time job or other employment as long as it doesnt interfere with your primary job. As a nurse i have done it on a number of occasions to keep skills current (earn extra cash). usually at weekends or on leave. Obviously if your new emplyer is willing to emploly you 'part time' and your boss signs the form it may be a way around it.
Have also known people to use Tashies system.

When they made me compulsory redundant in 95 (before I managed to remuster) I just got a job as a care assistant and was fully supported by old boss so it can be done.

zipfish

Mr
Cheers guys, but I the company in question wont play the game I'm afraid, as some half-wit has caused them problems in the past.

I might just try the normal genap for getting a second job.

E

Ex-Stacker

Having recently been through this myself, I know that you are NOT allowed to work during GRT, but that your discharges clerk will give you a date & put it in writing for when you can start paid employment.
I took my GRT first, then annual then terminal leave, which enabled me to start after my GRT, but stiil whilst on leave. The company took me on, unpaid during GRT, then paid me a golden hello, which coincidentally was the same as what I would have earnt if they'd been able to pay me.
Just make sure you take your GRT first & get your employment start date.

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
Having recently been through this myself, I know that you are NOT allowed to work during GRT, but that your discharges clerk will give you a date & put it in writing for when you can start paid employment.
I took my GRT first, then annual then terminal leave, which enabled me to start after my GRT, but stiil whilst on leave. The company took me on, unpaid during GRT, then paid me a golden hello, which coincidentally was the same as what I would have earnt if they'd been able to pay me.
Just make sure you take your GRT first & get your employment start date.

Cheers for that Ex-Stacker....very usefull info and will be armed when i see the discharge clerk very soon ;-)

I'm looking at a "last working day" sometime in Sept....officially out in Feb.

Crack on all....civvies are the way forward.......:pDT_Xtremez_09:

E

Ex-Stacker

Tashy, my missus used to be the discharge clerk at Louseymouth and she has just confirmed that she used to ensure that people knew to take GRT first, I don't know if that is how it works up there now, we left 2 years ago, but if you know some good gen, they're normally quite helpful.
I was, in effect, out in the Aug, started work in Oct, and the RAF paid me up till 2 Feb this year.
Be aware that you will get taxed at a higher rate, if you're still being paid by the RAF, and that JPA are a bunch of lying devious cnuts when it comes to paying up your lump sum.

Major Geek

Sergeant
Lump sum

Lump sum

.....JPA are a bunch of lying devious cnuts when it comes to paying up your lump sum.

Slightly Off Topic

OK, so what are your experiences of receiving the lump sum? When does it get paid (by JPA)? I may need to modify my exit date as timing will be crucial for mortgages etc and might have to "squat" in the SFA for a bit.

rhino

LAC
when I left....

when I left....

On my leave prior to being a civvy I came across this issue and got around it by starting with my new company as a subcontractor on the eqivalent of what my salary would have been.

Didnt officailly tell the mob although my Zobs and Fruit Segment new what was going on.

Got around the formality of permanent employment.

No one really cared but ppl just spouted the party line

C

Chuffybum

Tashy, my missus used to be the discharge clerk at Louseymouth and she has just confirmed that she used to ensure that people knew to take GRT first, I don't know if that is how it works up there now, we left 2 years ago, but if you know some good gen, they're normally quite helpful.
I was, in effect, out in the Aug, started work in Oct, and the RAF paid me up till 2 Feb this year.
Be aware that you will get taxed at a higher rate, if you're still being paid by the RAF, and that JPA are a bunch of lying devious cnuts when it comes to paying up your lump sum.

Now that would be an interesting new thread.

C

Chuffybum

You may be interested to know that you can use 10 days annual leave foir temporary employment under QR910.