• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

St George's Day

The Bowmeister

Darkside Jedi Master
I thought St George was meant to have been Greek.

If its a day off then it has my vote.

Mind you, I don't celebrate St Georges Day as I dont class myself as English. British, yes, but not English.

I am Cornish. I always put up my St Piran flag on St Georges Day!

Bring forth the abuse from the English then....................:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Who's St Piran?? Monsieur masher:pDT_Xtremez_35:

D

Damo

It should be a banks holiday!:pDT_Xtremez_30:

And everyone should have to eat fish n chips, drink real ale and watch dads army on the telly!:pDT_Xtremez_28:

johnny foriegner can jolly well poke off ::p:

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
Flatly NO. What makes St George so special then, oh thats right he slayed dragons, weren't they those non-existent made up creatures?

So he is the patron saint of a bunch of made up lies then, yeah something to celebrate there then isn't it................................

What about St Ferdinand III, he was the patron saint of engineers, a slight bit more appropriate?

Last edited:

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
Flatly NO. What makes St George so special then, oh thats right he slayed dragons, weren't they those non-existent made up creatures?

So he is the patron saint of a bunch of made up lies then, yeah something to celebrate there then isn't it................................

What about St Ferdinand III, he was the patron saint of engineers, a slight bit more appropriate?

St Ferdinand my ass; its gotta be St Barbara or no one else, (that would be Dec 4th by the way and would tie in nicely with your day off for christmas shopping. Yeah right).

A

auchtermuchty

Would this be a good time to point out that the best celebrated saints day (Paddy) isn't even a saint?

Its also interesting that some people seem to think Burns night is to do wth St Andrew!

Do we get a holiday for the Monarchs birthday? if not wouldnt that be a suitable day to bring back the Raj......... err celebrate britishness I meant:pDT_Xtremez_28:

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
St Ferdinand my ass; its gotta be St Barbara or no one else, (that would be Dec 4th by the way and would tie in nicely with your day off for christmas shopping. Yeah right).

Just done a bit of research on this (Mrs TBJ has hijacked the TV to watch that Graham Norton bollox). St Ferdinand was French and married a German. St Barbara was from Asia Minor. If we want a new public holiday based on a saint's day then it should at least be a British-born saint. It should also be a date roughly halfway between the August holiday and Christmas.

The one that seems to fit the bill best is St Cedd, commemorated on 26 Oct. Born in Norhumbria, brought up on Lindisfarne, evangelised Middle England, converted the people of Essex to Christianity and became bishop of the East Saxons.

C

cockneyrock

Should be St Edmund, after all, he was the original Patron Saint of England. Celebrated on 20th November. There is a campaign to have St George kicked into touch and St Edmund re-instated.

Details here:

http://www.stedmundsbury.gov.uk/sebc/visit/stedmund.cfm

and here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edmund_the_Martyr

and also the following letter from today's Telegraph

The true patron saint of England
Sir - I will not be raising the flag on St George's Day (Features, April 20) for the simple reason that St George is not the real patron saint of England. Our real one is St Edmund the Martyr, King of East Anglia, who was born about 840 and died at Hoxne, Suffolk, in November 870. His name is commemorated in the town of Bury St Edmunds. His saint's day is November 20 and his flag - and the true flag of England - is the white dragon on a red background.

St George was an alien saint imposed by the Norman invaders. St George and the dragon can be symbolised as the alien St George vanquishing the English. I call for the Government and churches to remove St George as our patron saint and restore our true patron saint - St Edmund. Let England's national day be November 20.

Cry England and St Edmund!

Charles Phillips, Stock, Essex

K

Kernow

Should it be a bank holiday?

Discuss.

Lets have a similar thing to the Belgians in Mons- which involves St George, a dragon and 4 days of solid drinking. Though must say from experience St George only plays a minor role.

M

mad_mo

Yeah why not, I know they aren't Bank Holidays but we have to suffer St Paddys day and Burns Night etc etc.

Why do you have to suffer Paddys day???.

The reason Paddy's day is so well promoted in pubs is that Guinness pump millions into promoting it and advertising. Ive not seen any other brewer in the UK promote St Georges day in such a high advertising way.

Last edited:
W

wgaf

Why do you have to suffer Paddys day???.

The reason Paddy's day is so well promoted in pubs is that Guinness pump millions into promoting it and advertising. Ive not seen any other brewer in the UK promote St Georges day in such a high advertising way.
Living down south MM all you need to do is go into a decent boozer and they'll have a special ale on from one of the brewerys. Plenty of the pubs in the New Forest do them.

M

mad_mo

Living down south MM all you need to do is go into a decent boozer and they'll have a special ale on from one of the brewerys. Plenty of the pubs in the New Forest do them.

Agreed there, that the local brewers such as Badger, Ringwood etc do these special George's day ales, but on a nationwide basis, Ive not seen a brewer match Guinness in the promotion side of things.

Off Topic There is only one poison of the New Forest :

product_oldthump_pump.gif

W

wgaf

Agreed there, that the local brewers such as Badger, Ringwood etc do these special Georgebrewer match Guinness in the promotion side of things.

Off Topic No they don't but possibly because we don't have all the insecurities of the celtic nations with all the accompanying need to shove their jingoistic nationalism down everyones throats.Off Topic

M

mad_mo

Agreed there, that the local brewers such as Badger, Ringwood etc do these special Georgebrewer match Guinness in the promotion side of things.

Off Topic No they don't

Ive been mistaken on that but there is a brewer in the Southampton Area that did produce a St Georges Ale last year, might be The Hampshire Brewery or one of the smaller ones.

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
we don't have all the insecurities of the celtic nations with all the accompanying need to shove their jingoistic nationalism down everyones throats.Off Topic

So what is this thread all about then you twit?
None of the other nations in the UK have bank holidays on thier St whatever days so what makes you lot so ferkin different then?

Perhaps you want to march down your high street shouting "anyone who is not English get out".