• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Squipper / Marriage Questions

If you've got degrees don't join the RAF. Set your sights higher!!
Couldn't disagree more.

You might feel under-challenged in the early years, but your academic endeavours will pay dividends later.

But remember, sometimes co-location might mean that you are merely serving on the same planet!

briggfairy

Sergeant
I can understand why people may think that....but after loooong deliberation, I/we decided life is about doing what you enjoy...I mean I'd rather have a lower paying job and enjoy it rather than a high paying job and absolutely hate it. Plus the RAF has so much to offer by way of a more stable career and opportunity to travel etc. :)

have you thought that you might end up in a lower paying job and not enjoying it? just have a look at the pvr rates thread no-one joins up thinking they will leave early.

if your other half is an atm i'd say if you want to live together you'll have to choose between oxfordshire lincolnshire, hamshire norfolk or scotland not exactly the most list of far flung places that used to be available!

if your still dead set on a job in the airforce at least try and get some of the advantages of your education by trying for aircrew or your commission you'll at least get a better standard of living

JTforever

Corporal
Couldn't disagree more.

You might feel under-challenged in the early years, but your academic endeavours will pay dividends later.

Why would you disagree? What will the dividend be?

If you are degree educated then you are wasting your time as a techie/squipper.

Just look how many good people are leaving. It's only the dead wood that is scared to leave or join the real world that are staying in for the long term. (guys in the pension trap excluded)

If you must join the RAF then go for pilot/officer.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I agree with some of the other guys. He's wasting his time going for ATM with that degree, I'd be looking for engineering officer, better pay and prospects.

About the marriage thing, the wife and I are both ATM and have been based together all our married life, sometimes different shifts and sections but always same camps. As Squippers and ATMs usually exist on the same camp you should be ok providing there are slots available. Not sure on the official co-location policy these days, used to be within 75 miles of each other but they try their best to get you on the same camp.

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'd have though the AFCO would try and steer you both towards commisions once they know you have degrees.

Also, bit of a waste having a degree in Environmental Management then going Squipper?

Same can be said of your other half and an engineering degree to go AMM.

No matter what job you choose in the RAF - you will travel!

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Nothing wrong with joining the RAF with a degree as an airman no matter what job you go for you'll get a wealth of experience even if you only do a 9 year commitment.

If you don't go for it then you'll only think what if when you get older.

Sent from my Nexus 4