• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Some promotion related questions

M

Mooster27

At my previous unit I was told to get a recommendation for promotion it would mean you are classed as being able to go into the higher rank "tomorrow" therefore only needing one assessment with recommended on it. Is this correct, and how does it work with the new SJARs?

I ask as I have got two Likelys then a High Rec so would that mean I could be picked up on this years board just based on that High Rec alone?

Also any idea when this years SAC-CPL board is this year.

Don't jip me for asking, I've never had a Rec before (not for want of trying) so had no reason to ask.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Two likelys and a Hi-Rec...mmmm. Were you over assessed on that third assessment? Honest answer please. The promotion recommendation officially is worth nothing. Its the write up that gets you promoted. Promotion competition is fierce, make no bones about that. What have you done that makes you a better promotion candidate than everyone else? What makes you stand out from the crowd? Can you honestly see yourself as a JNCO right now? really?

Mightierthan

Corporal
I have seen SACs promoted, albeit pre-SJAR, with the highest recommendation being Likely to Become Fit. So technically you could be promoted with one positive recommendation. The promotion recommendation compares you with your peers so, in your case, it means within your section, or amongst similar tradesmen your RO has dealings with, you are ranked towards the top.
However, to be promoted, you need to be ranked towards the top when you are grouped with all the other people from all the other sections around the RAF. Thus, if they too have only one positive recommendation, only 3 reports and with their reports being of a similar standard then you are looking good. However, in reality there will probably be a huge swathe of people with better reports than you; mostly because they have been in longer.
Bottom line: Don't give up hope, but don't hold your breath.

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Technically, yes, you could get picked up.

In reality? don't be so bloody stupid. You must know a lot of your colleagues who are on several rec's and high recs without promotion?

H

Hammer

In reality? don't be so bloody stupid. You must know a lot of your colleagues who are on several rec's and high recs without promotion?

Not actually true as TG9 has lost a lot of those experienced SAC's over the years to JATCC and so the SAC experience level is low. By all accounts the next SAC - Cpl board will be high, as has been said before though it all depends on the strength of your write up.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Don't forget what they want and what may be promoted are two completely different things......................

M

Mooster27

I come on here to ask for help and advice, isn't that what E-goat is for?? I would hope you don't deal with all questions like this.

Oh and by the way this post isn't relevant to me any more, you can see how long it is since I was last online but I don't know how to delete posts.
Any admins able to help? Thanks a lot.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I come on here to ask for help and advice, isn't that what E-goat is for?? I would hope you don't deal with all questions like this.

Oh and by the way this post isn't relevant to me any more, you can see how long it is since I was last online but I don't know how to delete posts.
Any admins able to help? Thanks a lot.

Did you get promoted then dude?