• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Soldier first??

Soldier first??

• CS 95

Votes: 20 43.5%
  • Blues

Votes: 26 56.5%

• Total voters

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
cockneyrock said:
I'm not sure how to take this thread. Having scanned some of the posts on here, it would appear that some people joined the RAF because they liked the colour of the uniform!!!:pDT_Xtremez_08:

Personaly I joined because it was the service I wanted to be in and not because I liked the cut and colour of the uniform:eek:

I have worn both blue and CS95 during my career, have to say that the CS95 is easier to look after (and free for all). Forced to make a choice, I would say CS95 and concur with most of the other posts on here supporting ditching the blue working dress.

If people are that worried about their identity that they feel the only way they can maintain it is by wearing a particular uniform, it leads be to begin to think that maybe some of the sh!t that the Army spout about the RAF being civies in uniform might be ture!!:pDT_Xtremez_41:

So the only reason you like CS95 is because it’s easier to look after?

Explain what links the will to keep an identity and being civvies in uniform? The Scottish regiments wanted to keep their identity; does the same logic apply to them?

It seems to me that you are far too quick to criticize those who don’t agree with your point of view.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Norman the Storeman said:
...and I'm a fan of Stax in CS95. He looks so hot in it (in a non-gay metrosexual way of course)! :pDT_Xtremez_15:

See Me after class! (in a very straight clip round the ear sort of way laddie!)

Metimmee,

I don't think cockney rock is arguing, just pointing out something that is said a lot by our Army compatriots. Maybe you don't remember the days when the RAC mechanics used to wear a blue uniform identical to ours, it was embarrasing! As to wearing CS 95 all the time,I vote yes,I see the poll is against me, but my reason is that we go OOA more and more (albeit mainly in deserts) and we are being forced down the road of more jointery, whether you like it or not it is happening, it won't be reversed. I am proud to be in the RAF, even under the senior management regime we have now, 29 years with 9 to go proves that, I think. Lets get practical, we now get issued with more uniform than a soldier, we have to wear green OOA and on Exercises, therefore, bin the blues, apart from No 1's, and save money. Like it or not it makes sense, it's not the party line, the airships don't want to get rid of blues either,they want us tokeepour "Core Identity" well,as far as I am concerned my ranksructure and Beret colour and Badge is my identity.

The rate at which we have to change our new medium weight trousers is shocking. Every 6 months or so before they wear through! At least in CS95 you dont get that problem. Also if you do nightshifts, when you get up from your 'downtime' CS95s dont look too shabby, were as blues look as though you have kicked them around the room all night!

C

cockneyrock

metimmee said:
So the only reason you like CS95 is because it’s easier to look after?

Explain what links the will to keep an identity and being civvies in uniform? The Scottish regiments wanted to keep their identity; does the same logic apply to them?

It seems to me that you are far too quick to criticize those who don’t agree with your point of view.

A bit touchy aren't we!!!

What has the scottish Regts got to do with the RAF wearing 'Blues' or CS95 got to do with the price of fish?

I think you'll find all of the Scottish Regts wear CS95 and, government interference aside, I don't see that they have trouble maintaining their identity. As with all of the Arrmy Regts and Corps, they maintain their identity in the same way that I maintain mine when in CS95, with the simple addition of a beret on my head. Add to this the plethera of badges all over our CS95 uniforms identifying us as RAF, I think even the visually impaired would be hard pressed to mistake a RAF serviceman with one from the Army.

A

auchtermuchty

Dont really understand what the problem is

Greens are more comfortable

Greens are easier to get away with looking scruffy in

Greens are less likely to get trashed when falling over on the way home from non-breezer p!ss ups.

Greens get my vote

M

MyShineyAr$e

macthegooner said:
The rate at which we have to change our new medium weight trousers is shocking. Every 6 months or so before they wear through! At least in CS95 you dont get that problem. Also if you do nightshifts, when you get up from your 'downtime' CS95s dont look too shabby, were as blues look as though you have kicked them around the room all night!

Ah Yes, the fabric between my thighs is wearing out constantly I have gone through several pairs already. I have asked stores about it and they said its normal wear and tear to expect from a pair of slacks. So why don't my own trousers wear out at the crotch?

Personally I think blues can look smart and they give us a little identity, however CS95 can look equally smart when prepped properly. Blues look sh1t as the day wears on whereas CS95 manages not to look as sh1t after a day of wear.

Also spend a bit of time on boots to give them a shine and add a RAF blue beret and you have an Airman/Officer that can stand out from the crowd of Army and Navy guys.

Pride in appearance will lead to us retaining our individualism.

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
cockneyrock said:
A bit touchy aren't we!!!

What has the scottish Regts got to do with the RAF wearing 'Blues' or CS95 got to do with the price of fish?

I think you'll find all of the Scottish Regts wear CS95 and, government interference aside, I don't see that they have trouble maintaining their identity. As with all of the Arrmy Regts and Corps, they maintain their identity in the same way that I maintain mine when in CS95, with the simple addition of a beret on my head. Add to this the plethera of badges all over our CS95 uniforms identifying us as RAF, I think even the visually impaired would be hard pressed to mistake a RAF serviceman with one from the Army.

Yeah, ok, that was a bit prickly, my apologies - mental note to post after lunch next time ;)

My reference to Scottish Reg's was an attempt to illustrate that identity is important. The merged regiments have lost the battle honours on their head-dress in the new Scottish Reg't.

You said "If people are that worried about their identity that they feel the only way they can maintain it is by wearing a particular uniform". For me its not all about identity.

I didnt like the follow-up comment "it leads be to begin to think that maybe some of the sh!t that the Army spout about the RAF being civies in uniform might be ture!!". Talk about beating us up! Just because we, the majority, would rather retain blues! Why does the preference of retaining blues make us uniformed civilians??

In another thread there is a discussion about parachute wings being worn by TCW/TSW. The badge and CS95 doesnt change the way the Army view TCW/TSW. Changing our uniform to CS95, would similarily have no effect on our image or standing with the Army.

The only reasons that have been quoted for migrating to CS95 are that its easier to look after - will our Army brothers think we're just a bunch of lazy individuals that cant be bothered to keep smart in our current pattern of uniform? I think that a well prepared number 2 uniform looks much smarter than CS95. It is easy to look like a bag of sh!t, but if you do put some effort in, it looks smart.

My personal slant on this is only slight I have to say. CS95 is indeed more comfortable, although I would say that short-sleeved shirts are cooler than a CS95 top in the summer.

If they abolished blues, I wouldnt lose too much sleep.

R

reddeathdrinker

Blues, greens. It's all the same same.

I spend all my working day in coveralls (TG1 ;)), so whether I don't wear my blues or greens to work matters not a jot. I signed up to do a job, not wear a particular colour of uniform.

Penguins Suck

Snap yous spine
1000+ Posts
right listen in yous lot, yous are soilders first but i donts want yous lot swannning around in CS95 FFS some ones might think yous is RAF reg and i dont want no fat scruffy techie mistened for one of the corp

F

Fablon biff chit

As regards No 1 uniform. Why issue everyone a set of No1's when you wear them twice a year, if that? Why not have a pool in clothing stores and you simply take your size, apply any badges/medals( quick fixing system required, not velcro!) and away you go!

S

shoutingwind

cockneyrock said:
I'm not sure how to take this thread. Having scanned some of the posts on here, it would appear that some people joined the RAF because they liked the colour of the uniform!!!:

well yes- blue is much easier to accessorise, but green goes betterwith my eyes......... course desserts are much better as i'm blonde! :pDT_Xtremez_15: