• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SNCO Mess Kit

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Serious question time. I've finally got my arse in gear and got myself a mess dress. Question is - whats the style for wearing it? I've got a nasty feeling that the jacket is a tadge short (tailor possibly fooked up the measurement)

Is the top of the trouser at the back meant to be visible? as well as the back of the cummerbund?

Basically - Ain't got a scooby.

If anyone got any pics I can refer to, that'd be great.

Ta

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
Serious question time. I've finally got my arse in gear and got myself a mess dress. Question is - whats the style for wearing it? I've got a nasty feeling that the jacket is a tadge short (tailor possibly fooked up the measurement)

Is the top of the trouser at the back meant to be visible? as well as the back of the cummerbund?

Ta

No, the top of the trousers should not be visible when standing still, however after moving about a bit they can be.

Do you have the high backed trousers or the normal type ones?

To be honest though, the jacket is short.

This is the only picture I could find online.

Attachments

• mess dress.JPG
    mess dress.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 0

insty66

Corporal
No, the top of the trousers should not be visible when standing still, however after moving about a bit they can be.

There is no way he's a proper SNCO! His button can be done up:pDT_Xtremez_14:

The cummerbund looks too low and jacket too short in that picture IMHO.

You'll still feel better than if you were wearing No1s though.

I

ICATQ

Hmmm, I think the cummerbund looks a bit on the wide (deep?) side, which is distorting the overall image, and it is the wrong colour, should a darker grey than that IMO. The jacket does look a bit on the short side in the body tho.

I bought the shoes thru supply, a bargain they were, and the no 5 shirts.

True Blue Jack

Warrant Officer
He is a real SNCO (and has drafted more than a few goaters). If the cummerbund looks the wrong colour it is probably due to the light in the photo. As for the height of the jacket, I have seen so many variations on mess dress tailoring that I have no idea how it is supposed to be.

K

Kernow

Ta

I thought the same of mine, that it was slightly too short. However, I took mine down to the tailor who rather than taking it and making a few quid for nowt told me it was fine. Though he did charge me a fiver for new batch buttons.

I did hear that the style was changing in the future to include an elasticated front similar to maternity trousers for the WOs

FOMz

Warrant Officer

I've got the high backed trousers. Also, the cummerbund back part - is it meant to be visable or hidden under the jacket?

I've got a nasty feeling my jacket is an inch or so too short.

Chaka

Sergeant
Fomzy are you sure your arse has not dropped and your beer belly got even bigger?:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
I've got the high backed trousers. Also, the cummerbund back part - is it meant to be visable or hidden under the jacket?

I've got a nasty feeling my jacket is an inch or so too short.

If yours is shorter than the one in the picture then yes, I would say it is too short.

Mine is longer and does not show the cummerbund like the one in the photo, you also cannot see the top of the trousers or the cummerbund at the back. (at least when I am sober and upright)

FOMz

Warrant Officer
If yours is shorter than the one in the picture then yes, I would say it is too short.

Mine is longer and does not show the cummerbund like the one in the photo, you also cannot see the top of the trousers or the cummerbund at the back. (at least when I am sober and upright)

Fook! I take it they can't be lengthened then?!!!!?

G

gemarriott

Fook! I take it they can't be lengthened then?!!!!?

If you pop along to the armoury we'll gladly remove an inch or two of your midriff. A bit like stretching a herc only in reverse hope this helps:pDT_Xtremez_14:

M

mumof4

could always add some nice dark blue lace to the bottom of the jacket?? .......:pDT_Xtremez_17:

Ok... maybe not.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

G

gemarriott

could always add some nice dark blue lace to the bottom of the jacket?? .......:pDT_Xtremez_17:

Ok... maybe not.:pDT_Xtremez_42:

This is Fomz remember! it would probably look very smart with his pink cummerbund:pDT_Xtremez_15:

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
While we're on the subject, I've been putting off getting mine until now. What exactly does the entire ensemble consist of and where is the best place in Lincs to get it all? I've got a few years left, so I'm considering going new.

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Check with your clothing stores (as I've just found out) as one of the Military Tailors is doing a deal at the minute and advertising solely in Clothing stores.