• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Smoking in cars... how very dare you!!!

• Thread starter Flt Lt Badminton-Squash
  • Start date

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
OK, speaking as a smoker, I don't see any difference at all between jabbering away on a mobile phone and lighting up a smoke whilst driving. Both have the potential to be distractions from the task of driving safely. So I don't have a problem with this rule at all, remember driving a car is like being in charge of a lethal weapon, treat it as such.

D

DrunkenMonki

Its OK as long as you smoke normally. When I have a crafty tab on the lash I'm a wreck, the buzz knocks me all over! So i'll not smoke whilst driving! I still maintain its crashing whilst smoking that is the real killer, not driving.

4mastacker

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Why don't they ban farting whilst driving. Come on, be honest, how many of you have let one go then had to waft your hands about to clear the air so that you could see where you're going and get some air. Also, such a ban would be environmentally beneficial cos it would stop the production of greenhouse gasses.

Realist78

Master of my destiny
If my other half smokes me in the car (she's the passenger by the way), does that count as a distraction?:pDT_Xtremez_42:

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
What about picking your nose?
I often find dragging out a thick sticky one that insists on yanking all the hair out at the same time whilst making me eyes water like a f@cked fridge a touch distracting.
Then, finding some where under your seat to stick the b@stard or flick at pedestrians. It fair takes my mind off the road.

A

Albert Park

Slightly Off Topic

I sometimes get a touch of Hay-fever and it can kick off the 'Mother of all Sneezing Bouts'. Sneezes, one after the other. Over a 5 second period I must have my eyes shut for at least a second, or more. It doesn't have worry our lass. It certainly puts the $hits up me, especially in high speed or heavy traffic.

B

Bluntend

Slightly Off Topic

I sometimes get a touch of Hay-fever and it can kick off the 'Mother of all Sneezing Bouts'. Sneezes, one after the other. Over a 5 second period I must have my eyes shut for at least a second, or more. It doesn't have worry our lass. It certainly puts the $hits up me, especially in high speed or heavy traffic.

If I remember correctly, it wasn't that long ago that a mother and her two children, who had pulled over to the hard shoulder, were killed when the driver of another car had a sneezing fit, lost control of the car and slammed into them. Not nice.

A

Albert Park

If I remember correctly, it wasn't that long ago that a mother and her two children, who had pulled over to the hard shoulder, were killed when the driver of another car had a sneezing fit, lost control of the car and slammed into them. Not nice.
It wasn't me. I was in bed sleeping off nights, your honour.

M

Mrs_Monobrow

I am a smoker and i always take my time when lighting up. I NEVER take 2 hands off the wheel to do it either, so where that came from i dont know. When mono was giving up, i didnt smoke in the car as it wasnt fair to him, but the craving/habit for a fag drove me nuts to the point of i was driving a little faster so i could hurry up and get out the car to smoke. I found i was a lot more angry with other road users ie, if someone didnt indicate to change lanes on the motorway, normally i would say in a normal voice ''oh yeah thats smart'' but with the craving i found myself swearing and wanting to cut the ****** up! I honestly believe i am a far safer and calmer driver if i can smoke and i fully intend to keep smoking behind the wheel. My kids distract me more than a smoking does!!!!!!

F

FairyGoodGuy

Personally I think smoking while driving is worse then chatting on your mobile; not because it means you need two hands to light up (never seen that before) but because of the amount of people I've seen swerving, driving like pilocks and generally paying no attention whatsoever to the road because they have managed to drop ash/the cigerette on themselves or are trying to avoid doing so.

Couln't agree with you more there m8.... I think driving while smoking is considerably more dangerous than using a mobile, just how it will be policed is another thing ???? They STILL can't get to grips with the mobile phone ban....

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Does this mean you only get prosecuted when lighting up or for smoking cause if they are focusing on the act of sparking up then you just say, 'Of course i was stationary when I lit this cigarette, anything else would be tantamount to dangerous driving and putting other road users at risk and act of total irresponsibility'

What does feck me off is the tw@ts who think its OK to empty the contents of the Ashtray anywhere they like, cnuts.

B

Bluntend

I am a smoker and i always take my time when lighting up. I NEVER take 2 hands off the wheel to do it either, so where that came from i dont know. When mono was giving up, i didnt smoke in the car as it wasnt fair to him, but the craving/habit for a fag drove me nuts to the point of i was driving a little faster so i could hurry up and get out the car to smoke. I found i was a lot more angry with other road users ie, if someone didnt indicate to change lanes on the motorway, normally i would say in a normal voice ''oh yeah thats smart'' but with the craving i found myself swearing and wanting to cut the ****** up! I honestly believe i am a far safer and calmer driver if i can smoke and i fully intend to keep smoking behind the wheel. My kids distract me more than a smoking does!!!!!!

Ok, this isn't aimed directly as Mrs M, especially if she hasn't had a tab yet, but what the fcuk is all this sh!te about having to have a tab to calm your nerves? Should the roads be a more dangerous place because there are a load of people out there struggling with an addiction problem? No. This whole 'I need special dispensation because I chose to smoke and now can't handle the side effects' really grips my sh!t. What next? Disabled badges? Non-smokers have to deal with stress in their day to day lives but don't need to put other people's health and safety at risk to do it - why should smokers get special treatment? If by your own admission you are a dangerous driver when you haven't had a tab, you shouldn't be on the roads. They're dangerous enough without having a psycho behiond the wheel because he/she forgot to stock up at B&H at the last service station.

M

Mrs_Monobrow

Ok, this isn't aimed directly as Mrs M, especially if she hasn't had a tab yet, but what the fcuk is all this sh!te about having to have a tab to calm your nerves? Should the roads be a more dangerous place because there are a load of people out there struggling with an addiction problem? No. This whole 'I need special dispensation because I chose to smoke and now can't handle the side effects' really grips my sh!t. What next? Disabled badges? Non-smokers have to deal with stress in their day to day lives but don't need to put other people's health and safety at risk to do it - why should smokers get special treatment? If by your own admission you are a dangerous driver when you haven't had a tab, you shouldn't be on the roads. They're dangerous enough without having a psycho behiond the wheel because he/she forgot to stock up at B&H at the last service station.

As you say, not directly aimed at me but as it was my post you quoted, i will reply.
I never said anything about smoking to calm my nerves. If i was nervous i would want something a bit stronger/better than a fag. I am not asking for special anything because im a smoker, i do want the right to do what i like in my own personal space though.
I dont smoke because i am stressed either. I smoke because i chose to all them years ago but as you say, its an addiction so i get stressed/tense/edgy/psychopathic (choose whatever term you wish) when i cant feed my addiction. Again, i dont want special treatment, i just want to do what i like in my own personal space. I have 2 young children and if i ever thought for even a split second that my driving, without or without a fag would ever put them in danger, trust me, i wouldnt be on the roads.

F

Flt Lt Badminton-Squash

I remember when I was a smoker; I used to use cigarettes to keep me awake- now I will elaborate a little on that before anyone has the chance… I feel most smokers will agree with this; when on a long journey and when I started to feel tired I used to reach for the fags, it takes your mind off the fact that you are tired and gives you another 30 mins or so of concentrated (yes, concentrated) driving. Now I am not for one minute saying this is right or wrong and, since I have stopped I have not had to do a ‘late at night’ drive so until then I am unable to offer an opinion for either side!

I do believe there are grounds for all side of this ‘discussion’, it is true that no matter how ‘deft’ you are at lighting your particular choice of cigarette, there is an element of risk as you do have to, at some point, take your eyes off the road, either during lighting or extinguishing the cigarette (except for those who have been mentioned earlier, who just throw the lit cigarette out the window without a care for the driver to the rear of them, there is absolutely no excuse for this, this in its self is very dangerous as they may actually burn the door rubber on their vehicle, tut tut, what ever next!) you need to look at the lighter or the ash tray! But by the same token, some children in the backs of cars can be equally distracting, as can pets that should be restrained but are not! What about sat nav, will this be next… some people take great comfort in their satnav to the point of paying too much attention to it… could this new revolution be doomed before its had time to be taxed to death by the government? The list could go on and on really…

The question is, can and will the police enforce this rule… how many people do you still see using mobile phones while driving, there are still a lot of people who just ignore this rule… someone mentioned answering text messages, this happens all the time… you can see the car in front swaying from side to side as the driver tries hard to concentrate on his/her text message with only half an eye on the road. It’s a crazy society in which we live now, I for one hope that I don’t meet these people coming the other way…

Anyway, just a thought…

Boomerang

LAC
Buffoons the lot of 'em. Everyone knows that it only takes one hand to get the fag and light it, might drop me can of stella which is in the left.

B

Bluntend

...i dont want special treatment, i just want to do what i like in my own personal space.

And there in lies the problem. The more people think that inside their car is 'personal space', the more detached they become from what's going on around them. What about all the other 'personal spaces' travelling at different speeds and in different directions? Everybody has a right to be safe on the road, I just feel its unfair that drivers who smoke feel their need is greater than anyone elses.

M

monobrow

To be honest, if they want to completely outlaw smoking, then they should just up and chuffing do it instead of all these new laws to "restrict" smoking. It was today that they raised the legal age to buy smokes 18. Not a bad idea, but then again whats to actually stop youngsters getting their hands on them? All it is is a "restriction"

So, what next then? they going to stop manufacturers putting radios in cars because the inescent ramblings of Chris Moyles. I can see their aim to promote safe driving, but outlawing it is simply un-policable

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
It was today that they raised the legal age to buy smokes 18. Not a bad idea, but then again whats to actually stop youngsters getting their hands on them? All it is is a "restriction"

The legal age to buy smokes went up, the legal age to actually smoke is still 16 as they didn't want to "criminalise" those 16 and 17 year olds that do smoke....crazy !

Crack on..............:pDT_Xtremez_09:

Plumber

Flight Sergeant
either during lighting or extinguishing the cigarette (except for those who have been mentioned earlier, who just throw the lit cigarette out the window without a care for the driver to the rear of them, there is absolutely no excuse for this, this in its self is very dangerous as they may actually burn the door rubber on their vehicle, tut tut, what ever next!)

If the door was all people had to worry about that would be great; What about people on bikes, maybe with the visor up, or people in convertables. Just what you need is someone else's fag butt burning a hole in the leather seats of your new car or even worse copping it in the face.