• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS) Operators Manuals

As I'm about to get into the full swing of resettlement before leaving the RAF late next year, I'm looking into several potential employment opportunities that would benefit from my skills. One possible venture that I'm considering is operating rotary wing quad/hexa/octocopters commercially in the UK, which are commonly known within the sector as Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (SUAS).

Prior to operating SUASs on a commercial basis, one has to undertake mandatory and CAA-approved licensing courses, namely the Basic National UAV Certificate – Small Unmanned Aircraft (BNUC-S™) which was introduced in April 2010. It's specifically aimed at the operation of small unmanned aircraft of 20Kg or less and is now the standard qualification accepted by the CAA for Small Unmanned Aircraft (SUA) usage and is recognised by the Insurance Industry.

Aside from attending the relevant courses that I've since identified and where instructed, I'm required to write a SUAS Operations Manual which provides information and instructions necessary to enable operators to use quad/hexa/octocopters commercially in a safe and effective manner. It is also a document that, from my understanding, is required to be written for legal purposes which accompanies the CAA BNUC-S™ certification and records the airworthiness of the platforms operated which go together with pilot log books.

There is a template (in tabular format) which is available from the CAA that can be used to put an Operators Manual together. However, I've reviewed its content and found it to be a bit vague in direction on what manner this document ought to be written. Therefore, I was wondering if any fellow Goaters, or are acquaintances of, those who work in this sector/industry and would have an appropriate and robust Operators Manual document that I could perhaps use as a reference/template when composing mine? I've considered approaching colleagues on 13 & 39 Sqns; however, operation manuals (SOPs in our speak) are pertinent to their fixed wing platforms and, understandably, release of such documentation may be not possible for reasons that are probably obvious.

Last edited: