• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

skoda diesel torque vs. Ferrari torque

actechy14

LAC
So someone said to me in coversation that the wee skoda turbo diesel hatchback (sorry name escapes me just now..) produces the same amount of torque as a model of ferrari. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
As soon as someone mentions 'Ferrari', most instantly think of 6.0l V12 monsters. Enzo first used a Fiat engine which didn't have all that large a displacement......back in the 1940's.

The Skoda your mate is on about is the VRS. Diesels generate their torque low down, usually having a low power band whilst typically a Ferrari will have a short stroke which is how they Rev so high, possessing a very large powerband meaning that torque is always on tap. Ferrari's being as light as they are don't need a huge thump of torque to shift their fat arse along.

Last edited:

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Bear in mind there`s a difference between torque and power.

(Basically...) Torque`s needed to set you moving, power`s needed to break through the air at 100mph.

If thats all clear, did you know the diesel engine was invented before diesel fuel ? :pDT_Xtremez_42:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
So someone said to me in coversation that the wee skoda turbo diesel hatchback (sorry name escapes me just now..) produces the same amount of torque as a model of ferrari. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Same amount?

Peak figure or area under the curve?

Peak numbers mean very little but are what people quote when they are in the pub deciding who has the biggest penis.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Same amount?

Peak figure or area under the curve?

Peak numbers mean very little but are what people quote when they are in the pub deciding who has the biggest penis.

Exactly, the VRS might make 280 lb/ft at somewhere in the 2500-3000rpm region. Meaning that peak grunt will be available for a minuscule amount of time. Whilst the Ferrari will have that grunt available across a much, much larger portion of its Rev range.

So has he purchased a VRS (Nothing wrong with them - quite partial to a Skoda) and now feels the need to justify it?

actechy14

LAC
Well its a diesel so it won't have it through the rev range. My astra diesel has 120 torque but you only notice it on the turbo and between 2-2500rpm at most. After that there's no point. And with reference to the power/torque comment, yeah it gets to 60 at a fair rate but stops accelerating quickly around 85mph, and is hard stretched to push 110.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
Also be aware that the torque produced by the engine (Quoted figure) has no relevance to the torque that makes it to the tarmac which is different for every gear. Especially when comparing diesel against petrol. And again cars versus bikes.

General rule is, the higher the engine revs, enables the vehicle to make better use of gearing to increase the torque that is generated at the wheels.

ScoobTech

Sergeant
Scoobtec are you RAF or a proffesional vehicle mechanic? You know everything! :)

I'm not even close to knowing everything. I certainly couldn't make a living out of fixing vehicles, But I understand enough about the top level basics for your basic pub argument.

And a lot of my other advice is from direct experience, If i don't I know i'll go and find out, then learn a little so that I can better understand it.