• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Single day visiting MoD Abbey Wood

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
So I've heard parking is nigh on impossible with viable alternatives such as walking 20mins from the train station or catching a bus to near the building but what about safe parking (ie car will be in one piece sans yellow boot on the offside front wheel) nearby?

I don't mind the walking aspect but I intend to hop into my car once my business for the day is complete so don't fancy buggering about with public transport too much.

Help as always is very much appreciated.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Alot of the time it depends which builing you are visiting. I worked at Building 1300 in Bradley Stoke and parking was pleniful, trips to the main buildings was hit and miss but as with most places the earlier the better.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Don't start sentences with so, and it's a railway station.

So, the 1800's called and asked for one of its grammatical pedants to come home. One of the functions of ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence is to initiate discourse. It means, ‘I’m about to tell you something' which I did. Additionally, there is nothing wrong with using 'train' in place of 'railway' as a descriptive for what sort of station it is.

Finally, if you live near Abbey Wood is your driveway available to park a car on for a hand job and a bag of chips?

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So, the 1800's called and asked for one of its grammatical pedants to come home. One of the functions of ‘so’ at the beginning of a sentence is to initiate discourse. It means, ‘I’m about to tell you something' which I did. Additionally, there is nothing wrong with using 'train' in place of 'railway' as a descriptive for what sort of station it is.

Finally, if you live near Abbey Wood is your driveway available to park a car on for a hand job and a bag of chips?
No, no, and yes.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Alot of the time it depends which builing you are visiting. I worked at Building 1300 in Bradley Stoke and parking was pleniful, trips to the main buildings was hit and miss but as with most places the earlier the better.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
There are a grand total of about 20 visitors' car parking spaces; if you aren't in the visitors' carpark by about 0700 then forget it (or so I am told....), I don't do arriving that early. There is parking available at Bristol Parkway and you could get a train from there to Abbey Wood (1 stop) or simply get a train from wherever you are starting from..... A lot depends on the time of your meeting, I rarely go on a day trip these days and tend to stop over, using the Holiday Inn Express whenever possible and some people stay in the city centre and get a train in/out.

Parking on surrounding roads is almost impossible as well.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Cheers all, looks like I'll use a local 'Train Station' and take it all the way to Abbey Wood station. It'll involve about 10hrs of pissing about so I'm in for a long day but hey ho. 👍

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Google map Conygre Grove and thank me later...

Cheers Vim!

So, the wheels were still attached when I got back to the car and it didn't cost me a hand job or a bag of chips after all!

I did however walk past the Train Station.