• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sideburns

Why is it that having sideburns in the RAF a little lower than Queens Regulations classed as bad discipline and frowned upon? How does having half an inch longer sideburn make me any less effective as an airman. It cannot be anything to do with 'wearing the Queens uniform so you need to look smart at all times' bull**** because our counterparts in the navy 'wear the Queens uniform' and are allowed to grow their hair and sideburns as long as they want and massive scruffy beards. Surely the same standard of dress should be effective across all 3 services because if a guy in the navy can wear the Queens uniform and grow Bradley Wiggins style sideburns then an airman in the RAF wearing the Queens uniform should bloody well have the right to also (QR's on sideburns must be different for Aircrew, Pilots and RAF Reg as they are always sporting long sideburns)

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Why is it that having sideburns in the RAF a little lower than Queens Regulations classed as bad discipline and frowned upon? How does having half an inch longer sideburn make me any less effective as an airman. It cannot be anything to do with 'wearing the Queens uniform so you need to look smart at all times' bull**** because our counterparts in the navy 'wear the Queens uniform' and are allowed to grow their hair and sideburns as long as they want and massive scruffy beards. Surely the same standard of dress should be effective across all 3 services because if a guy in the navy can wear the Queens uniform and grow Bradley Wiggins style sideburns then an airman in the RAF wearing the Queens uniform should bloody well have the right to also (QR's on sideburns must be different for Aircrew, Pilots and RAF Reg as they are always sporting long sideburns)

Is there nothing you're happy with. Anyway who wears long sideburns at 35 years old ffs.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
It cannot be anything to do with 'wearing the Queens uniform so you need to look smart at all times' bull**** because our counterparts in the navy 'wear the Queens uniform' and are allowed to grow their hair and sideburns as long as they want and massive scruffy beards.

No longer than 1" long now for our Senior Service cousins, still has to be neat and well kept. It's a recent change though and it really hacked off those WAFU's (Even the females) that I have to work with.......:pDT_Xtremez_28:

needsabiggerfuse

Flight Sergeant
Every SWO should have one of these, a 'Sideburn Measuring Gauge' Just hook it over an airman's lug and read off the scale. It even has a handy hole for hanging off a pace stick. S'easy. :pDT_Xtremez_30:

side burn 2.JPG

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Does the OP not realise that if Sideburns are allowed to grow unchecked the Western Democracy will fall. It's a well known fact that a longer sideburns diminishes the will to fight/defend in people allowing nefarious culture to attack and take over at the root level of our society.

I am just highlighting how pathetic some of the rules and regs within our armed forces are in the 21st century. A guy in the navy wearing Queens uniform can grow beards and long sideburns and not be subject to disciplinary action yet an airman forgets to shave for one day and has sideburns longer than the middle of the year and he is charged. Where is the equality. It is not about naval tradition anymore. Modern day naval ships have access to water and most naval personnel spend a lot of their time on land. Also, how do naval personnel get away with their NBC drills wearing a respirator when they may possibly have an ISIS style beard on their face? Can someone please explain because it seems to me as though the hierarchy within the military need to start making rules that are equally fit for all 3 services!

foxOneFive

Corporal
I am just highlighting how pathetic some of the rules and regs within our armed forces are in the 21st century. A guy in the navy wearing Queens uniform can grow beards and long sideburns and not be subject to disciplinary action yet an airman forgets to shave for one day and has sideburns longer than the middle of the year and he is charged. Where is the equality. It is not about naval tradition anymore. Modern day naval ships have access to water and most naval personnel spend a lot of their time on land. Also, how do naval personnel get away with their NBC drills wearing a respirator when they may possibly have an ISIS style beard on their face? Can someone please explain because it seems to me as though the hierarchy within the military need to start making rules that are equally fit for all 3 services!

If you work for ICI I believe burners are just bellow the ear lobe. Tesco and Asda varey I Think they allow to the neck?
"women have difo criteria I believe?" The Army Navy and AF are all all diffo companies so can dictate their own rules.
Suggest you get off ya smart phone and get your hoover out old boy

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've never known anybody (outside of training) to turn up unshaven and face a charge. A polite, 'Get it sorted and see me at 1200hrs' has always been enough.

Digzster

Sergeant

Before you start your tirades, you should check your facts. 1. For the Falklands, all our fishhead brothers (not sisters at that time) had to shave off their beards for fire/flash protection. 2. During Gulf 1, a fishead in our team also had to shave off the whiskers for NBC.

Good post for a troll though.

ady eflog

Harrier Mafia
1000+ Posts
Can someone order this guy an industrial strength extra large pack of minge wipes as his mangina is dripping everywhere. no wonder you still live in the block, i bet your mam still irons your superman pants for you.

UlsterExile

Sergeant

In the words of Full Metal jacket " what is your Major malfunction". You seem to very dissatisfied with your current employment and are venting on Egoat (which is what it is designed for) a lot. Each service has it's own set or rules and regs, if you wish to grow disco burners then transfer to the Navy. We in the RAF don't allow them, simple.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
I always had long sidies and shaved them on demand, strangely they keep growing back. I even got told off for wearing sunglasses once, SWOs personal pet hate (he'd chased me round camp) so I got a sick chit for them.

Rules are for fools

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

FOMz

Warrant Officer
I always had long sidies and shaved them on demand, strangely they keep growing back. I even got told off for wearing sunglasses once, SWOs personal pet hate (he'd chased me round camp) so I got a sick chit for them.

Rules are for fools

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

This says it all.....

Cooheed

Unicus
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
In the words of Full Metal jacket " what is your Major malfunction". You seem to very dissatisfied with your current employment and are venting on Egoat (which is what it is designed for) a lot. Each service has it's own set or rules and regs, if you wish to grow disco burners then transfer to the Navy. We in the RAF don't allow them, simple.

And for good reason. They are scruffy. OP could always join one of these Mancunian rock bands who all have muttons down to their chin (and walk about like a monkey wearing a nappy full of porridge) :)

SAXAVORDIAN

Sergeant
And for good reason. They are scruffy. OP could always join one of these Mancunian rock bands who all have muttons down to their chin (and walk about like a monkey wearing a nappy full of porridge) :)

Ere! I resemble that remark about us Mancs. It not porridge it swag from the shoplifting I do.::D:. Wanna fight boxersortid.