• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should MT pick you up from home for DWR purposes?

Seanious

LAC
I had a slight run in with Cranwell MT ran by Babcock who refused to pick me up from my home because it wasn’t on-route. In the 22 years I’ve been in this is the first time I’ve been refused. Am I expecting too much?

Forestfan

SAC
Babcock have the entire MT contract now. Welcome to the new way of doing business that our Lords and Masters have put upon us. (BTW in 2017 my unit MT came 20 miles to get me then went back past the Unit to get to Brize so it did happen before.)

4everAD

Sergeant
Simple fact is you cant be expected to drive your car up to 50 miles to your unit then have to leave it there for up to 6 months. I'm sure it's written in regs that they have to pick you up from your registered jpa weekday address and return you there when you get back. They may just need reminding of that fact.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Why not request a one-way hire car from your home address to Brize? Probably works out cheaper than a return trip for a car plus 5 hours' wages for a driver.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I've noticed a bit more empire building going on by MT recently as well. I'm fairly sure I read something the other day about having to return the MT Wagon (if your section is graced with one) every day to sign it out rather than just sign it out at the start of the month and have someone do a daily inspection (signed for of course). I can't help but wonder if it's an attempt to make things just difficult enough to discourage folk, bringing down operating costs so someone gets an OBE. :unsure:

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I've noticed a bit more empire building going on by MT recently as well. I'm fairly sure I read something the other day about having to return the MT Wagon (if your section is graced with one) every day to sign it out rather than just sign it out at the start of the month and have someone do a daily inspection (signed for of course). I can't help but wonder if it's an attempt to make things just difficult enough to discourage folk, bringing down operating costs so someone gets an OBE. :unsure:

This sort of approach is usually when a section(s) has overstepped the mark and abused either the vehicle or the MT procedures. I dare say that there is some MT regulation that states a vehicle is to be signed out and DI'd every day (DI = DAILY inspection). No MTO in their right mind would want to create extra work for their section, so it is historically devolved down to Wg/Sqn Mt Reps to ensure the vehicle paperwork and checks are complete. Sadly, some sections (usually the flying squadrons) think that they are above this simple rule and flout it. Sounds like this MT section are going by the book to make examples of those who think they are exempt from said rules.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

Part of the clarity contract. That way unused vehicles can be used to reduce hire cars. Plus many sections didn't really need thier own wagon to drive to stores once a week....

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
When I deployed from Waddo, MT wouldn't even stop on the main road outside my house - despite the fact that they had to pass it in orderto leave the Station! I had to drag all my kit to the main car park, just so I could sit on the bus and watch my house go by as we left...