• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Shocking Fire

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Completed shocked by the fire in Bolton

Bolton’s got a university, unbelievable.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
From the BBC website ...

"University of Bolton student Shannon Parker, who lives in the building, said she was in her room when the fire started.
"I heard the fire alarm going off but it kept on going off so I just thought it was a drill at first until one of my flatmates shouted down the corridor that it was a real fire," the 22-year-old said."

If Shannon Parker is an example of uni students in the UK we are heading towards major problems.

Don't they realise that ALL fire alarms are REAL until told otherwise, not the other way round.

Tin basher

Knackered Old ****
Staff member
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Gents could we please keep this thread and its content about the fire and its aftermath and the totally surprising news that Bolton actually has a university.

It was, put simply, just a fire in a building. It didn't start because of something someone said, it's wasn't a political event or the result of anything Brexit related. We ,the goat, are bound together by our time in uniform, lets just play nice. Tis soon to be the season of goodwill to all men

justintime129

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Two years after Grenfell. Two years after all the warnings about cladding. Why has nobody listened and took action.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Was in Stratford the other week and there were a few buildings that were looking a little naked.

Someone is going to make a few bob from all this.

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Two years after Grenfell. Two years after all the warnings about cladding. Why has nobody listened and took action.

Sadly, until somewhere upmarket like Canary Wharf or some £2million flats in Mayfair, then politicians will continue to wring their hands and kick it into the long grass.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
Completed shocked by the fire in Bolton

Bolton’s got a university, unbelievable.
Are but, it's not a REAL university. Its a combination of the old Bolton Technical College, the old Bolton Art School and the old Bolton Institute of Technology, all of which were pretty good back in the day. Bolton uni is really one of these new uni's where you get degrees for bog all work in useless subjects.

Wobbly_Jon

Corporal
From the BBC website ...

"University of Bolton student Shannon Parker, who lives in the building, said she was in her room when the fire started.
"I heard the fire alarm going off but it kept on going off so I just thought it was a drill at first until one of my flatmates shouted down the corridor that it was a real fire," the 22-year-old said."

If Shannon Parker is an example of uni students in the UK we are heading towards major problems.

Don't they realise that ALL fire alarms are REAL until told otherwise, not the other way round.
Barch, you're guilty of applying grown up thinking and common sense. Don't forget its STUDENT accommodation and students are not blessed with either. Also when the smoke clears (pun intended) they'll probably find all sort of dodgy electrical gear, candles, multiple electrical things overloading sockets, hair straighteners, etc.

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
Barch, you're guilty of applying grown up thinking and common sense. Don't forget its STUDENT accommodation and students are not blessed with either. Also when the smoke clears (pun intended) they'll probably find all sort of dodgy electrical gear, candles, multiple electrical things overloading sockets, hair straighteners, etc.
Weren't the vast majority of us in a similar situation at the start of our military carees living in barrack accommodation?

If we got spurious alarms we reported them and they got fixed but we always responded to the alarms in a proper manner, unlike the 'educated' tennants of the Bolton block.