• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Second chance

Hi all,

Back in 2016 I received a dishonourable discharged due to failing a drugs test towards the end of the 10 weeks basic. I failed for cannabis and trust me I did regret it a lot at the time.

Before I joined I smoked it a bit with friends, on the Christmas break I mistakenly had a smoke and was tested on my return.

4 years on I have a good career in insurance and haven't touched drugs since, I guess it really made me rethink my life at the time and hold myself accountable for my actions.

I always regret what happened back then and feel I have changed for the better in the 4-5 years its been. I still think about the life I could of had in the military and it makes me long for more, I loved my short time in the forces and always look back on the memories fondly.

I am asking now whether there is any point in applying again? I'm 27 now and my fitness is probably even better than when I left.

I understand what I did was wrong, I've had almost 5 years to reflect on it and trust me I look back at myself now and think "what an absolute moron", does anyone on here have any experience in recruitment and do you believe there's a chance for me?

Thanks all.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Probably take you back. Depends on trade I suppose as well.

stormwell

LAC
Best bet would be speaking to a RAF recruiter, though this will have to be either online or over the phone atm.

Currently in the process of trying to join, just need to get my fitness up before I can continue my application.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
5 years ago, trade they want to recruit, you can only try. You won't get a definitive answer here.

When I was in recruitment I wouldn't have busted a gut fighting your corner however.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Have you ever partaken?...etc is still a mandatory question. That doesn't mean they won't take you of course, but few on here are experts offering 100% assurance so you're going to have to ask. I'd start with a well written and contrite letter

Suck it and see. (not on it, obvs)

Have you ever partaken?...etc is still a mandatory question. That doesn't mean they won't take you of course, but few on here are experts offering 100% assurance so you're going to have to ask. I'd start with a well written and contrite letter

Suck it and see. (not on it, obvs)
Haha yeah that's a fair point, I'm going to draft a letter and see what happens. Thanks again.