• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scotland to be Best Place for Veterans to Live

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Becuase porridge is cheap? What about increased fuel bills? (it is colder up there)

"VETERANS minister and former Royal Marine Keith Brown announced Scotland will refocus their efforts to serve as an attractive place to live for soldiers, veterans and their families.

The former Royal Marine makes the announcement at charity Veterans First Point and backed it up with an open letter to the Daily Record.

In it he “refocused” a promise “to the armed forces, veterans and their families in order to make Scotland the most attractive place to be for those both during and leaving service life – offering supportive communities, good jobs, affordable homes and excellent public services”.

Isn;t there more airmen living up there now with the Lossie superbase? Why just pongo's?

Read more at http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/s...ne-minister-wants-7421060#LViF4fkm4lejhPUK.99

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
Mr Brown is also a member of the SNP, so it's a given that he will hold that opinion. I note in the story that he doesn't really explain how The Party of Grievance and Victimhood intend to provide the best possible support to veterans. I also note that he fails to explain that his former boss opened the SNP election campaign in the Old Govan Pub....which is probably Glasgow's most renowned pro-Irish Republican watering hole....

http://www.thenational.scot/news/snps-campaign-team-pull-pints-in-glasgows-old-govan-bar.13837

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
I have friends / aquaintances who want to settle in Scotland when they deMob, and have said so for years.

Quite a clever move for Scotland really - advertise the country as somewhere nice for MOD personnel to settle with their '75 / '05 pension payouts... nice little cash injection on the side courtesy of the Military, who possibly won't be looking for a full time job but will possibly have a nice cash pot to play with. Plus there's cheaper housing, education etc. And it's a very pretty place (so I'm told, I've not been).

Plus if you're going to take on an uplift in your population, might as well try and get the well qualified, well disciplined bunch. On the downside, they'll probably get a lot of pongos and matelots, too...

Rigga

Licensed Aircraft Engineer
1000+ Posts
Licensed A/C Eng
Being quite cynical - I thinks it's because all ex-service personnel have their own pensions and are, in the main, make do and mend types with strong work ethics (and views).
So: Self-funded hard workers who aren't shy about getting things done...Who else would you want in your country?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Being quite cynical - I thinks it's because all ex-service personnel have their own pensions and are, in the main, make do and mend types with strong work ethics (and views).
So: Self-funded hard workers who aren't shy about getting things done...Who else would you want in your country?
Therefore needed to counter balance the large public sector and benefits claimants found north of the border.

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
*controvertial*

Controversial? Probably. Accurate? Also probably!

However, that's not to say that there aren't just as many (actually, probably more considering landmass) south of the border than there are north of the border!

Personally I'll be taking my pension pot back to Wales, where it will get me a deposit on twice as much house for half as much cash...

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
Who else would you want in your country?

They could start with sending the 20,000 Syrian Refugees north of the border. Over the years, England has taken a very disproportionate share of refugees & migrant workers.