• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scirocco or Civic?

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I’m looking at getting a new car towards the end of the year and at the moment I’m looking at the Honda Civic Type R GT or the VW Scirocco GT 2.0 TSI. I’m swaying towards the Scirocco as opposed the Civic as there are quite a few of them about and I’ve read some bad reviews about the interior and rear suspension. Not heard any negative comments about the Scirocco, so I was wondering if any fellow goaters have any of these cars and what their experiences of them are.
As an outsider, the RX-8 is a possibility, but as my mate has just got one, it would be a bit gay to have the same car!!
Thanks

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
I take it you know what they both look like?

No contest, Scirrocco looks stunning. There is one here at the top secret airbase in Rutlandcestershire.

I nearly got caught licking it the other day:pDT_Xtremez_30:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
My brother in Law has an actic White Scirocco and it looks stunning he's well happy with it and it must be good cause he swapped his Audi TT for it.

Must say however the the rear of the car looks a tadge cramped to say the least, if you are planning to ferry people around make sure you get a good look at both

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Oh yeah, I’ve seen them both, sat in them but not driven them yet, like I say, not getting it till the end of the year, if I drive one of them just now, I’d end up buying it now!
I was at the VW dealer today, they had a standard Scirocco GT plus leather (£1,560) and I wanted it straight away, took a lot of will power to walk away.
It’s a lot of money and I’ve got 6 months to decide on which one, so playing safe and just checking for any potential problems. Not much of a 2nd hand market yet for the Scirocco’s, so maybe not enough time for problems to surface.
Passengers not really a concern, but there seems to be a decent ish amount of rear leg room, just as long as the pax are not that tall!

Sniffer

Super Moderator
I take it you know what they both look like?

No contest, Scirrocco looks stunning. There is one here at the top secret airbase in Rutlandcestershire.

I nearly got caught licking it the other day:pDT_Xtremez_30:

Yeah I parked behind it this morning and almost felt like ramming the sodding thing. Envy is so not an attractive trait.

G

grumpyoldb

Scirrocco ............what a horrible car???
I'd rather be seen in a Ford Ka.............and that's saying summat!:pDT_Xtremez_42:

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
Scirocco

Scirocco

Scirocco mk 1

if not Scirocco mk 2

Current Civic R trashed by journos

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Yeah the Civic has been rubbished by the journos, I think that the car has sold the numbers it has mainly due to its quirky looks, it’s heavier than the old Type R with a small increase in BHP, the interior is not that well designed and shows signs of wear quite quickly (according to the reviews that I’ve read). I was speaking to a lad at work tonight who has a Type S, after a few months he started to like it, but he still didn’t sound too convinced, he said a lot of squeaks had developed, it constantly bings and bongs when you open the door etc and the I-pod connection was a complete rip off, far too expensive at £200 and he had to take it back to the dealer as the adaptor had come loose under the dash and was moving around, they secured the adaptor and put sponge tape under it.
So, it’s looking like the Scirocco has taken an early lead!

I

it's-me-isn't-it

It's got to be the scirrocco, german is the only way forward. Honda's are crap inside, cheap and nasty to say the least!!

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
What draws you to these cars, would you be willing to look at anything else?

These are the cars that I am looking at for the moment, but I’m always open to more suggestions, but I’m not interested in BMW’s, Audi’s or Fiat’s, not a fan of them at all.

HK WESSEX

LAC
I've a new Civic Type R GT and am well pleased with it. Had it a year now, with no probs, it looks good, and the high rev engine is great.The VW looks a bit "hairdressers" car to me, can see it being a hit with the girls! But it's up to you mate, go with yer heart and not yer head, good luck!

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
HK, a hairdresser’s car, 1st time I’ve heard a Scirocco called that, a little defensive maybe?

Welshjpc, Alfa Mito, I’ll have to have a look at that one, not sure about reliability with the Alfa though.
Cheers

PTR Hoar

Sergeant
Had a little pop in a scirocco when i was test driving the new golf. I know what i'd rather have but the wages will only stretch to the new golf! have a look at the bright green colour, looks awesome on the car.

spanners

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Had a little pop in a scirocco when i was test driving the new golf. I know what i'd rather have but the wages will only stretch to the new golf! have a look at the bright green colour, looks awesome on the car.

I’ve seen a bright green Scirocco around Elgin, it does look good, not a colour I would go for though, I’m thinking black, dark green, along those lines.
I saw a black one in Nairn today, my god it looked good!

M

Military_Muscle

Personally, I'd go for a Scirocco in white, however a Civic is still a very nice car.

M

Military_Muscle

Alternatively, you could wait a little while, save some more money and get a new Focus RS!!!! (I think they're out later in the year)