• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scary numbers

Sammy

SAC
Off Topic I know a lot of people that didnt sign up for ELC, either because thay didnt know about it or didnt think they would want to claim it, and they are kicking themselves now. Its a shame everyone wasnt made to sign up for it. I did years ago and the only reason was because my Cpl at the time told me about it and made me fill in the forms... Im so glad she did!

Is there another chance to do it, at your 8 year point or something?

M

monobrow

Off Topic I know a lot of people that didnt sign up for ELC, either because thay didnt know about it or didnt think they would want to claim it, and they are kicking themselves now. Its a shame everyone wasnt made to sign up for it. I did years ago and the only reason was because my Cpl at the time told me about it and made me fill in the forms... Im so glad she did!

Is there another chance to do it, at your 8 year point or something?

I certainly hope so, because that means I'm the right side of it! But me thinks I'll have to haul me a$$ round to the Learning Centre and get what I can from 'em!!

Realist78

Master of my destiny
scary numbers

scary numbers

Numbers of people PVRing or numbers of people unsure of education allowances? Confused of ISL!:pDT_Xtremez_34:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Just be aware any course you do and claim for on SLC HAS to be

1. Of 'benefit' to the service

2. Above level 3 in the national qualifications framework (this means no GCSEs unfortunately)

Ive posted on here before on how great it used to be, the pros for me far outweighed cons but its slowly going the other way..going are all the overseas postings, top detachments, UK camps that ARENT in the middle of nowhere etc and im just not into Penny-pinching, LEAN and spending half my life in a tent (sorry, didnt join the Army for a damn good reason) and the other half doing sh*it jobs civvies wont do and justifying every little thing on JPA if you can get it to work...But.. Im stuck in for now, couldnt afford to pay my mortgage and have any sort of life on the wages in and around lincoln with the meagre qualifications Ive got. However im using my SLC every year and gonna use ELC up to and after I leave so once ive got my pension in 6 years and I can pay my mortgage from that its see ya im off!

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
All this talk of ELC & SLC (take it their learning credits.......)

Think I need to get meself down the early learning centre sharpish because I haven't got the foggiest on what they are or how to use them!?!

Monobrow...wake and smell the coffee!

Sadly these days each OU module costs between £275 for a 30 pointer and £650 for a 60 pointer a year...The RAF give you £175 towards it a year so the bulk of the financial responsability is loaded onto the servicemen BUT it's better than a kick in the slats as they say...Plus you can claim travel to tutorials should you wish to go and travel/subsistence for any summer camps (*booze-ups*)...

This means that at present rates a BA/Bsc would cost you approx £3375 and £4050 for the added 'honours (extra year). Of this the Raf would pay you £875 and £1000 respectively making the cost to you £2500 and £3050...

Now...how much for a degree from a residential university where you won't be getting paid whilst you're doing it and no petrol/food money where applicable?
£20-40,000 is an approximate guess (anyone feel free to input here with better gen)...

The OU is now fully recognised by the National Union of Students and you can, for a small admin fee, get one of their cards and begin enjoying the discounts it brings...Many young people these days are being put off by the increasing debts incurred by 'standard' university costs are are opting for staying at home and blitzing an OU degree...Employees recognise the worth of an OU degree as they realise the effort it takes for an adult to work a job during the day and still come home and study at night...

I didn't intend to write that much...phew!

Last edited:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
As you can see from this post, the days of ''thick'' servicemen & women is long gone. Thats why it really grips my sh1t when these tree-hugging hippy types try to make out we haven't got a mind of our own and thats why we joined the military.

I know at least 4 techies on the Sqn who are all as qualified as the JEngO.

Once I have my degree and apply for IEng I'll technically be more qualified than the SEngO!

I've always said the air force should be run by those below the rank of Warrant Officer! :pDT_Xtremez_30:

rhino

LAC
Dont be so concerned

Dont be so concerned

I PVR'd at the 11 year point of a 22 yr stretch. Was married with three kids under 5. I got £3400 as a resettlement grant and was lucky that at the time it took a year to PVR so I managed 12 years and have a deferred pension.

Quite frankly it was a nightmare for us both in the first three years. got a job that sounded good but was crap..lecturer at Solihull College. Thought Civvies were idiots, got made redundant and out of work for a while, with debt and all the **** that goes with it.

However now its good, kids are gone, work from home when I want to, earn a good living and got a few letters after my name.

Those first five years are hard but after that it gets better. It was ten years before employers stopped asking what rank I was and If I had a pension (so they could cap my salary) which really ****es you off

Best advice I had was forget the military, forget ranks, get qualified and learn about money and how its made or you'll awlays be a corporal. Sage advice and I ignored it till I learned that colleagues were paid as much for their quals and not wholly for the job we did.

On the whole I miss the mates but not the mob

Sermon over

R

Rectifier

Yes yes yes, it's all very interesting hearing you all sound off as to how qualified you are thanks to HM but isn't this all a little off thread???

I've PVR'd & for no other reason than I don't agree with what we are doing within the big scheme of things. It's not money or dental care or the fact I can get a new pair of shiney shoes every month. After 24 years I've got to question what the RAF is currently doing and it's no longer defending the country or our rights to free speech etc etc etc it's trying to police the world ensuring they conform to the western ways at the expense of the good health and lives of British Servicemen.

I'd like to ask you all this. Why are you in the Air Force?? If it's for the money then fair enough, we all have our reasons for doing things but don't try and disguise it by the fact you can get a free crown and polish every 18 months or more Brufen than is needed to cure a Burn's night hangover.

How many others feel this way but find the prospect of Civvy street too scary to take the plunge?

Sorry if this hits a nerve with a few of you out there in blue suit land, my feelings and is why I'm one of those 27,000

Intheknow

LAC
Got to agree with Rectifier. Just done my 22, PVR is now in. They have gone too far this time and will take years to recover. I know three SNECs who have just PVR'd and not one has has done enough time to get there full pensions. Sad day when they feel they would rather give that up than stay in another 2 or 3 years to do their 22!!

And when you've finished cleaning my office my car needs a wash

:pDT_Xtremez_25:

Ever played top trumps??

catergory .............................Prefered hairdressers car................V...............Blue van

Engine .................................2.5....................................................................2.556

depreciation.........................17.5 percent pa................................................10 pa appreciation

Load capacity........................toothbrush.......................................................whole house

Style.....................................Not much...........................................................You crazy fool

I WIN!!!!.............KEYS PLEASE...YOU KNOW THE RULES OF THE GAME!

Last edited:

TrickyTree

Sergeant
....I know at least 4 techies on the Sqn who are all as qualified as the JEngO.

Once I have my degree and apply for IEng I'll technically be more qualified than the SEngO!...
The look on my SEngO's face when one of the erks showed him in the Telegraph that the RAeS had given me IEng as a chevron deux was absolutely priceless. For the next six months till he was posted he treated me completely differently (ie not as a flippin' monkey just 'cos I spent nearly all my time supervising HAS ops).

Hu Jardon

GEM is a cheeky young fek
Ever played top trumps??

catergory .............................Prefered hairdressers car................V...............Blue van

Engine .................................2.5....................................................................2.556

depreciation.........................17.5 percent pa................................................10 pa appreciation

Load capacity........................toothbrush.......................................................whole house

Style.....................................Not much...........................................................You crazy fool

I WIN!!!!.............KEYS PLEASE...YOU KNOW THE RULES OF THE GAME!

Dear BVM

When you do decide to grace us with your presence again you will see that I have had an Anti Pikey Bar installed at the outer gate

So you'll now have a 2 mile walk at the start and end of the day - so thats your 3 periods of PT sorted - and don't t ry and thumb a lift I warned the rest of the lazy fekkers its a weeks extra guard for anyone who shows you mercy

Dear BVM

When you do decide to grace us with your presence again you will see that I have had an Anti Pikey Bar installed at the outer gate

So you'll now have a 2 mile walk at the start and end of the day - so thats your 3 periods of PT sorted - and don't t ry and thumb a lift I warned the rest of the lazy fekkers its a weeks extra guard for anyone who shows you mercy

That's it ,pick on the new boy!! I'll use the new open top 2 seater I just won from you to get to work in!:pDT_Xtremez_15:

Guard is when??:pDT_Xtremez_09:

C

Captain Gatso

Yes yes yes, it's all very interesting hearing you all sound off as to how qualified you are thanks to HM but isn't this all a little off thread???

I've PVR'd & for no other reason than I don't agree with what we are doing within the big scheme of things. It's not money or dental care or the fact I can get a new pair of shiney shoes every month. After 24 years I've got to question what the RAF is currently doing and it's no longer defending the country or our rights to free speech etc etc etc it's trying to police the world ensuring they conform to the western ways at the expense of the good health and lives of British Servicemen.

I'd like to ask you all this. Why are you in the Air Force?? If it's for the money then fair enough, we all have our reasons for doing things but don't try and disguise it by the fact you can get a free crown and polish every 18 months or more Brufen than is needed to cure a Burn's night hangover.

How many others feel this way but find the prospect of Civvy street too scary to take the plunge?

Sorry if this hits a nerve with a few of you out there in blue suit land, my feelings and is why I'm one of those 27,000

Top post. I think everyone has to question why there are in the Airforce, if it's not just the money. I for one joined up for Queen and country. Not for Blair and Spin. I have a mortgage, bills. Etc Etc. So i have started to study using my ELC's for my, aircraft maintenance licences. So when i leave I've got a good chance of getting a good job. Rectifier is right on this one. Weigh up the pros and cons. What do you get? If like me, a whole load of cons to very few pros. My descion was made. Civvy street is tough. However i am willing to put the hard work in, to make the transistion work. The RAF is just not worth it any more.:pDT_Xtremez_26: