• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scampton closing

As it looks pretty certain that Scampton will be closing soon, what's to be done with ******'s grave, should he be left where he is, or moved to a dedicated memorial for the Dambusters raid?

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

Yes. I hear that the Red Arrows will be moving to Leeming maybe. But dont worry because Honington is staying open as the RAF Regiment haven't finished messing it up yet................

C

Cat of Shadows

Scampton/Dam Raids Memorial

Scampton/Dam Raids Memorial

Captain Pugwash said:
As it looks pretty certain that Scampton will be closing soon, what's to be done with ******'s grave, should he be left where he is, or moved to a dedicated memorial for the Dambusters raid?

I've re-posted my thoughts from the Dead Sparrows thread fella,

Ah, a sticky subject the relocation of ******'s grave.

In truth we are going to have to move the old boy at some point in the future, particularly as Scampton will probably be sold of v quickly. Only question is where?

My suggestion would be to actually leave him at Scampton, but we should relocate the grave as part of a dedicated memorial to one of the finest moments in RAF history, the Dam Raids. I think it only right that with the final demise of Scampton now very much on the cards, there should be a lasting tribute left at the Unit. It will, as suggested, also safeguard ******'s remains in the only location he should be left.

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I wouldn't write Scampton off just yetThey've just spent a figure with lots of noughts in it installing an ATC place there. As to Niggers grave move him to Hendon where he'll hopefully rest in peace. (and keep his name as I'm sure some PC freak will object).

Who? Me?

SAC
Why don't they relocate ******'s grave to be next to Gibson's? (Unless he was not buried in this country, wasn't he KIA over the Netherlands?)

C

Cat of Shadows

rest have risen above me said:
I wouldn't write Scampton off just yetThey've just spent a figure with lots of noughts in it ..............................

Since when has spending bucket loads of money on somewhere stopped the MoD from closing it!! (eg. Finningley and so many others that I'm just too tired to remember) Regardless of the cash to date invested, if there is no use it will be a case of mag to grid in the current environment............prime real estate I feel.

As to Niggers grave move him to Hendon...............................

I disagree.

Scampton, regardless of what lies in store for its future, retains itself as a name synonymous with RAF legend. It is up there with Biggin Hill, Tangmere, Hawkinge and many more long departed operational bases. I would argue that with the potential demise of Scampton we are finally reaching the end of an era and I think we have a perfect opportunity to celebrate something very rare and unique in our particular service.

Scampton should be remembered for its place in the ethos and psyche of the service as a whole and there is no better way, I feel, than finally laying ****** to rest as part of a dedicated memorial at the Unit. If he goes to Hendon, or Duxford, he will become nothing more than a museum piece, sooner than a testiment to a very special part of our history.

A

A CLING NERD SHRON

MOD Press Release today:

Leeming home to new RAF communications hub
Published Tuesday 17th January 2006

RAF Leeming badgeThe teams that provide communications for the RAF when they deploy on operations will move to RAF Leeming under new plans announced by Adam Ingram, Minister for the Armed Forces, on 17 January 2006.

The move will see the RAF's Air Combat Service Support Units (ACSSUs) communications units, currently located in a range of bases across the UK, relocating to form a centre of excellence for RAF communications at RAF Leeming in North Yorkshire. Subject to Trades Union consultation more than 120 RAF Communications staff will move to RAF Leeming in 2006 with more joining them in 2007.

It was originally planned that RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire would become home to the communications hub. However, following substantial increases in estimated costs at Scampton, a review concluded that RAF Leeming will be a significantly more cost-effective option.

Adam Ingram, said:

"This is great news for RAF Leeming, which will continue to have an exciting future once the current Tornado F3 force leaves in 2008. This is the right decision for Defence, the RAF and for taxpayers. These deployable communications assets are excellent examples of the flexible, expeditionary capability that our Armed Forces need to meet modern defence challenges.

"I realise this is disappointing news for RAF Scampton and for Lincolnshire but I have to take the right decisions for defence as a whole and the taxpayer."

Group Captain Ian Morrison, RAF Leeming Station Commander, added:

"We are delighted by this news. The disbandment of XI(Fighter) Squadron in October last year, and the announcement that RAF Leeming was not an option for the Joint Combat Aircraft led to a huge amount of speculation about the future of the Station.

"However, we have always reported that further options were still being considered, and this news is good for both Defence and the Royal Air Force, who will maintain a significant presence in North Yorkshire. RAF Leeming does have a long-term future after the disbandment of our remaining Tornado Fighter Squadron in 2008, and we look forward to welcoming our new colleagues in April."

The MoD keeps the cost of all projects under review to ensure best value for money. The decision to review plans to relocate the ACSSUs to RAF Scampton was announced in December 2005 following considerable estimated cost increases. RAF Leeming offers best value for money by a margin of £55M over RAF Scampton.

The decision is subject to Trades Union consultation. It is expected that over the course of the next two years communications personnel from RAF Sealand, RAF Brize Norton and RAF High Wycombe will relocate to RAF Leeming.

Who? Me?

SAC
Look out Leeming, here comes Two Cnuts and a Wireless.

God help North Yorkshire, but not too much they still lost the War Of The Roses.

:pDT_Xtremez_28:

C

Cat of Shadows

Who? Me? said:
Look out Leeming, here comes Two Cnuts and a Wireless.......

When did it get that technically advanced??
Last brief I had it was a couple of baked bean tins and a length of string!!

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Cat of Shadows said:
Scampton should be remembered for its place in the ethos and psyche of the service as a whole and there is no better way, I feel, than finally laying ****** to rest as part of a dedicated memorial at the Unit. If he goes to Hendon, or Duxford, he will become nothing more than a museum piece, sooner than a testiment to a very special part of our history.

I would agree but as you say it's the end of an era. The new echelons of PC sycophants are upon us who would rather have something new shiney and easy to maintain (or the cash in their pocket from selling it) than put a bit of effort, money and will into keeping something or somewhere that has meaning but no monetary value. Therefore I'd rather see ****** at least remembered by people who want to know about him rather than he be an out of place memorial in an industrial or housing estate.
But hey maybe a new Bomber Harris is just waiting in the wings.:pDT_Xtremez_15:

J

Jag Fag

I would agree but as you say it's the end of an era. The new echelons of PC sycophants are upon us who would rather have something new shiney and easy to maintain (or the cash in their pocket from selling it) than put a bit of effort, money and will into keeping something or somewhere that has meaning but no monetary value. Therefore I'd rather see ****** at least remembered by people who want to know about him rather than he be an out of place memorial in an industrial or housing estate.
But hey maybe a new Bomber Harris is just waiting in the wings.:pDT_Xtremez_15:

They could move him up to 617 Sqn, at least he would be looked after in true RAF tradition.:pDT_Xtremez_26:

T

The Green Scopie

Apparently the civi police have said that the Reds cannot practice in the airspace above Leeming - too high risk of people crashing on the A1. So I would not expect a move too soon. Not a great deal of free airspace in that area for practice as it is. The move to Cranwell a while ago fell apart as none of the students could take off or land while they were practicing. Would not rule out leaving them at Scampton, parented by Waddington.

O

oldhamboy1967

I wouldn't write Scampton off just yetThey've just spent a figure with lots of noughts in it installing an ATC place there.

It's not ATC mate! It's my trade and TG3 with a scopie CRC that's gone in there. :pDT_Xtremez_25:

There's no news yet on how long that will stay there, plus 1ACC have moved in just up the road so Scampton's not dead just yet.

Stax

Flight Sergeant
Just as an aside. Niggers grave is situated just outside the main entrance to the old MEAS hangar (on the left if my failing memory serves me), opposite Echo dispersal. I worked on Echo from 78 to 80 as the OCU stacker and many a late finish we walked past the grave (made your hair stand on end sometimes). Why not dig him up and re-inter him at the 617 memorial in Woodhall Spa (well worth a visit if you are in the area, along with a visit to "Kinema-in-the-Woods" The last remaining back projection cinema in the UK, complete with the mighty Wurlitzer rising majestically from the floor on a Friday and Saturday night!)

L

loafing

There are no plans to move the Reds to Leeming, Waddo or anywhere else. The rumour about CIVPOL stopping the team from practicing over the A1 is exactly that, a rumour! The airspace is totally unsuitable for RAFAT to play in, far too much civil traffic, not to mention the odd pair of F3s, Hawks a plenty, Tucanos and I dare say a few rotary monkeys too. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

The CRC at Scampton is NATO funded and as a result it can't be closed anytime soon, I dare say that Scampton as a few years left in her yet.

Who Me?

Wg Cdr Guy Gibson DFC VC is buried in Holland after being KIA in a Mosquito raid.

Loafing...

F

FiledIntuitively

Leeming/Scampton Ministerial Announcement

Leeming/Scampton Ministerial Announcement

The government has decided to switch the location of a communications hub for the Royal Air Force, it was announced by the armed forces minister, Adam Ingram. Originally, ministers said the base would be located at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire but have now designated RAF Leeming in North Yorkshire instead. It is expected that the change of plan will save £55m.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/commons/story/0,9061,1689083,00.html

But yesterday it was revealed that Leeming is to be upgraded into a key base which will guide RAF missions all over the world as its theatre expands from its former Iron Curtain role over Europe to providing a rapid response anywhere.
Personnel who provide communications support for the RAF when they go on operations – currently dispersed around different air fields – are to be accommodated in a "centre of excellence" at Leeming.
Armed Forces Minister Adam Ingram announced 800 service and civilian personnel – from the Air Combat Support Units – will transfer to RAF Leeming over the next two years, assuring the long-term future of the station.

Over the course of the next two years, communications personnel from RAF Sealand, RAF Brize Norton, and RAF High Wycombe will relocate to Leeming. Units already based at Scampton, including the Red Arrows, will not be affected.

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=55&ArticleID=1316800

So, there we have it. Ish.

T

The Green Scopie

loafing said:
.The rumour about CIVPOL stopping the team from practicing over the A1 is exactly that, a rumour!

Well this is a rumour network! :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Who? Me?

SAC
loafing said:

Who Me?

Wg Cdr Guy Gibson DFC VC is buried in Holland after being KIA in a Mosquito raid.

Loafing...

Well if we decide to bury his beloved dog with him, I'd like to volunteer to be part of the (re) burial party. Think we could have a humdinger of a wake in Holland.

******!!!

******!!!

Captain Pugwash, I will ensure that the Thought Police from Whitehall and Scotland Yard contact you within the next 24 hours for your disgraceful use of the term above....I cannot bring myself to repeat it, it is so offensive. Person Gibson would be equally astounded that his doggie hadn't been dug up and had his collar tag changed in keeping with politically correct trends.
P.S. If anybody is interested, I have the complete 60's collection of Golliwogs for sale.

Rambling Sid

Sergeant
Have they edited the movie Dam Busters yet, wasn't the name of Gibsons dog one of the code words to indicate the dam had been breached........