• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Saxa Vord Reopening?

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
Yes there is! The SCIDA Rep at Lossie is heavy in the plans so by virtue of geography (his desk is in C4I) so is C4I at Lossie. Latest plan (Don't judge because it's really stupid) is to move the radar from Staxton and upgrade under the current upgrade contract. Buchan was asked about supporting it manpower wise, Buchan promptly told them to feck off.

norfolkred1

Sergeant
Saxa was sold off and became a visitor centre. Won't be the first time the MOD have fooked up and defo not the last.

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
Saxa was sold off and became a visitor centre. Won't be the first time the MOD have fooked up and defo not the last.

Mid-site & domestic site were sold off.

Top site + Tx/Rx sites are still MoD. Saxa is still a RRS supported by Buchan.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
So from those that know it...

Good or bad posting and why?

My first posting - 83/84. Loved it. New accommodation had just been built. No WRAF allowed then but it was pretty good because of that (200 guys in total IIRC). Lerwick had nurses which were bussed up now and then - which was nice, hehe. Lerwick itself wasn't great, but at least it represented some sort of civilisation; 3 buses and 2 ferries to get there from Unst. Often got stuck on the middle island (Yell) due to ferry cancellations.

Amazing scenery, terrible wind. Scary times on exercise I recall. They used to issue Arctic Parkers, but they just acted as wind breaks. Seen a lot of guys swept away in the wind, especially around the dome bases. Luckily no serious injuries that I saw. Radar was lost twice. The second time from inside a dome - that's how bad the wind was there. I also did Benbecula and Shetland was much nicer than the Outer Hebrides.

Only 2 pubs when I was there, can't remember there names now, but I believe that went down to one. Accommodation, NAFI, Mess all inside for Juniors so one cold spend the whole time indoors.

I have very fond memories of Saxa Vord, probably more than anywhere else I went afterwards.