• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

SAR Force knowhow

Dave-exfairy

Warrant Officer
I've watched a few episodes of Highland Emergency and both the RAF and RN dopes on ropes seem to pull something out of the winch hook as they're winched out of the door, what is it and why do they do it?
Yes, I know i'm sad.

MrMasher

Somewhere else now!
Subscriber
It's for when they lift or lower anything other than the crewman.
You wouldn't want johnny tourist unhooking himself!

R

royalmarines1664

As someone has already eluded to its called the pip pin.

Its main use is to stop the equipment becoming detached from the winch hook, commonly called winch topple.

Basically when the winchman's weight is fully taken by hoist i.e... when leaving the door of the aircraft, the winch hook will no longer be able to turn upside down (topple) which is possible when the wire is not under tension.

Another reason its removed is for the ease of the winchman detaching him/herself from the hook when in contact with a vessel. You dont want to phaff with the pin if the a/c has an emergency!!

As a rule you only ever remove the pip pin when working with a vessel for safety reason. Otherwise it remains in the winch hook at all time.

Hope this helps