• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rum & Baccy

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The station I am just about to leave is to be smoke free from Jan '21.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Good.

Back of fag packet maths at my last place worked out that someone spending 15mins trudging to the smoke pit and back six times a day would cost about 90mins of productive time 'IF' they didn't get distracted along the way or decided to double up on the tabs. On the other hand if you asked to take 90mins to get to the gym and back to you know, improve your chances of passing the mandated fitness test and your health as opposed to destroy it you were made out to be a trouble maker...

Rugby-Jock-Lad

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Unfortunately Spearmint the number of people actually doing any work in the RAF is actually quite small. Since the "We're all good at our jobs" mantra has been pushed out by the Blue-Line brigade we now have a large number of aspiring Leaders/Managers/Supervisors (seems everybody now sets themselves up as Leaders) who do sweet FA while the few are pounced upon to work harder without a "Thank-you for your efforts". It seems you are marked out as a WORKER!!! I was noticing this at all rank levels.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I used to smoke. Back when I could rely on duty frees pretty much most of the time it made smoking an affordable hobby. In the late 80's 200 Silk Cut (the athletes smoke) was just £5 in the Gibraltar NAAFI so I used to stock up as I was out there most every month...even in the Falklands a packet of Marlboro Lights (flavour country) were only £1.20 a pack in th elate 90's.

Anyway eventually peer pressure worked and I dropped the habit. Fast forward to sometime last year and bearing in mind I hadn't thought about tabbing for over a decade by then. I was queueing in the garage to pay and bloke in front of me asked for 20 Marlboro...£11.50 the lady said! Fcuk me readers! over £11 for a pack of twenty. Apparently its over £12 now! I think I actually said out loud 'fcuk me' at the time!

That means if you get through 20 in about 2 days (my old pace of smoking) that's 3.5 packs a week x 52 = £41 a week or £2184 a year. That's a small to medium size car (in monthly payment terms). If you did a pack a day that equates to £4380!

You have to really covet that smooth smooth flavour to want to blow that much on something you set fire to!

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
My Dad used to smoke Golden Virginia roll up tobacco and that would set you back now £25 for 50 grams. Mind you he used roll them so tight it would last at least a week.

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
B&H were my poison. Forty a day was the usual. Earache caused by OC Domestic Things was my reason for packing up which was not a bad thing, one favour in 30 odd years of marriage. I can't remember exactly how much I was paying back in the day but I think they are now around a tenner for a pack of 20 at todays prices. I am so glad I don't smoke now but sometimes after a "hot, brown and plenty-of" plate of nosh or with a pint of decent bitter, a bennie would really go down a stormer...

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
B&H were my poison. Forty a day was the usual. Earache caused by OC Domestic Things was my reason for packing up which was not a bad thing, one favour in 30 odd years of marriage. I can't remember exactly how much I was paying back in the day but I think they are now around a tenner for a pack of 20 at todays prices. I am so glad I don't smoke now but sometimes after a "hot, brown and plenty-of" plate of nosh or with a pint of decent bitter, a bennie would really go down a stormer...
There really wasn't anything like it was there? After a hug fat boys in the mess then, back in the days when you had a lounge down the end of the airman's mess (the one at Kinloss springs to mind), you'd retire to the [un]comfy chairs and create a smog of smoke as you sucked that bad boy down...or a couple of pints into a sesh and that 'I must smoke or kill' feeling came on and twenty snout later you were wobbling outside the kebab shop, chest/throat taking a battering.

Great days.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Somehow the gold box of B&H made them classier....

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Somehow the gold box of B&H made them classier....
Never got on with them...If I'd been forced onto them by having no other choice my chest the day after felt like a gravel track. I was on Silk Cut for years then I discovered Marlboro Lights...the smoke of the Gods.

Downsizer

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I migrated from B&H to Marlboro llights over time. even typing this now makes me want a smoky treat.