• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Royal Visits

Entropy

Sergeant
Betty is visiting my workplace tomorrow, luckily it is invite only so I will be in the garden pretending to work from home.

However how are royal visits organised? Is it Buckingham palace telling people/organisations that she would like to visit or is it the people/organisations inviting her to visit.

I am a little unsure as I cannot see the housewife from south Wales writing in to HM asking her to come round to her terraced house to see her new dining table, but you do see HM doing just this.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If you have a big event you ask for the right one to pitch up through their outer office well in advance. I Projoffed one a couple of years ago pretty much on my own. Took 6 months to organise and involved 2 x Admin Orders. One for the gig and another for the Royal Party. You'd be amazed how many previously invisible people appear from the woodwork when the hard work is done to get their fat arse on the list.

If you get the right one though, it's hilarious. The Cambridges just pitch up and do whatever the hell they like... there's bar codes going spastic everywhere.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I pretty much hosted Charles about a month ago on my own. Got a call from the Lord Lieutenant stating that he needed to use our rugby club to meet a D-Day veteran for tea and biccies then go somewhere else for a couple of hours then return to pick up his helo and go home. He razzed up, I met him at the door and showed him to the room then hung around until he'd completed the chat then he used the bog and went off in a car. We are convenient as we have an expanse of grass to land on.

Nice little note afterwards saying thanks. All in all about an hours effort in total.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I met him at the door and showed him to the room then hung around until he'd completed the chat then he used the bog and went off in a car. We are convenient as we have an expanse of grass to land on.

In the old days there was a rumour that if a royal was visiting and there was any chance of them using the lavatory, an experiment would be conducted by dropping a potato down the pan and when the splash could no longer be heard that's where they would rope off an exclusion zone around the bog.

Entropy

Sergeant
I was quite disappointed as I didn't see anyone painting the grass in the run up to her visit. I always thought this was a requirement.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
In the old days there was a rumour that if a royal was visiting and there was any chance of them using the lavatory, an experiment would be conducted by dropping a potato down the pan and when the splash could no longer be heard that's where they would rope off an exclusion zone around the bog.

It got a bit awkward...I was standing around the corner from the room he was in with my club manager just chatting. We happened to be outside the gents toilet. One of the plain clothes coppers popped around and said he was minutes from finishing his chat and he wished to 'retire'. Me and CM stare at each other then back at the Copper and say 'OK'. Then there was a few moments of silence until the copper explained that meant 'go to the bog' and that we didn't want to be stood outside the door when he walked out after laying a deuce and getting a lung full (his words). We further retired into the next room until we got the all clear.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
When he of SAR fame visited, we dramatically failed the khazi quality pre-audit as this place hasn't seen the traps renovated since his dad was here doing Toom training in the 70s. My suggestion of swapping the men's sign for the ladies was equally poo poo'd as it was in the same overall condition.

Disappointingly, and possibly on purpose, he survived on a few sips of water.

Tedlooney

Sergeant
When he of SAR fame visited, we dramatically failed the khazi quality pre-audit as this place hasn't seen the traps renovated since his dad was here doing Toom training in the 70s. My suggestion of swapping the men's sign for the ladies was equally poo poo'd as it was in the same overall condition.

You know, if there's one thing I've learnt from being in the RAF, it's never ignore a poo poo.

GOV1

LAC
I remember Princess Margaret visiting a now defunct base in Weston S Mare in the 90's. My job was to LPO a few hundred Regal King size and lighters with posh ashtrays and install them in all the loos she could and might visit on her trip around the base.

And yes I did manage to recover the said items just after she left.

Also Prince Andrew on his working tour whilst a pilot in the Navy at that far flung base in the Outer Hebridies, at the time he was splitting up with Fergie and VIZ the comic did a cartoon with the quote " as Fergie got a fat arse, answers on a postcard to Buster Gonards"

We plastered the VIZ ad tactifully around the base, much to the amusement of the hierarchy!!

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
A few years ago I found myself drafted off to Valley to perform 2 weeks of Guard Duty, whilst our future King indulged in a bit of work experience prior to joining the RAF.

The day of his arrival began and we were briefed on how it would all play out including present terrorist threats. Shortly after we realised it was all a ruse due to the dickhead Paparazzi swarming around the camp perimeter and trying their best to gain information, as how it did play out was nothing like the brief.

So, there I was stood on the checkpoint to the Zobs mess on the evening shift as it was getting dusky with my armed colleague swapping war dits, when we heard an old diesel engined vehicle (complete with whiny gearbox, erratic idle and the odd light backfire from the exhaust) approaching.

The brakes gave a high pitched squeal as the driver engaged them in response to my command for him to stop so that I could check his and his potential passengers ID's, I noted the lack of any vehicle pass. Obviously everyone's head was on a swivel given the situation and tensions were a notch or two above the norm.

The window wound down half way of the mini bus which had seen better days and looked like something I had travelled to school in as a kid.

"Can I see your ID please?" I say.

The driver flicks the dim light on and his face is partially illuminated along with his instantly recognisable aircrew onesie with Flt Lt rank tabs.

He smiles at me gripping his steering wheel and I repeat my question. He utters 'oh' and starts to pat himself down to locate his wallet, fumbling in the dark for his ID Card. He presents it to me and I note that his ID card is legitimate, just as I snap my heels together to commence my salute I hear a muffled giggle from the interior of the minibus's rear.

"Sir, who else is back there? I need to check all ID's before I let you proceed."

"Oh you don't need to check their ID's, I can vouch for them"

"Sorry Sir, but I can not allow that. ID's please."

"You really don't need to che....."

"Then I'm afraid I cannot allow......."

"Fine, guys ID's! Pass then forwards for this young man to check please!"

I receive only 2 more ID's, certain that there is at least one more passenger whose validity remains unchecked.

"Those are fine Sir, but I did say all ID's. Please pass the last passenger's ID forwards"

"You really don't want to check his ID Airman....."

"Just following orders Sir, ID please!" Putting on a slightly deeper less patient tone.

"Fine! I did warn you!" states the driver....as I start to peer through the timted windows, trying to identify what I'm dealing with.

And as if it was a well rehearsed windup designed to provide the minibus occupants with a jolly good giggle, all the lights in the minibus light up at once and in the window peering right back at me was the gurning face of our future King.

I wryly smile, realising it was a wind up and I snap another salute up as the entire bus erupts in laughter whilst the bus lurches on through my checkpoint to the Mess.