• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ROV Tech / Pilot

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
There of course comes a time when the average blue suiter takes a long look at being in the mob and decides, 'Bollocks! I've had enough!' so to that end I've started looking around the bazaars at something which has piqued my interest before: Remote Operated Vehicle Tech / Pilot. I am due to attend an Oil & Gas Careers Transition Fair in Aberdeen at the end of this month in order to get a better feel for it but so far my research has turned up nothing but positives. So, have any Goaters on here taken the plunge (No pun intended) and moved across into this line of work?

rest have risen above me

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
If you're going to the Job fair in Aberdeen I suspect you're at ISL. Just ask round the T bar I've lost at least 4 guys down that route this last year.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
If you're going to the Job fair in Aberdeen I suspect you're at ISL. Just ask round the T bar I've lost at least 4 guys down that route this last year.
You suspect right, I'm aware that a good number (mainly from Lossie) have chosen this new professional path. Currently in an area though where I have no T-bar to go down to and 'chew the fat' so to speak.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Subsea7 were looking for trainees in this field, asking particularly for ex forces people
It looks like the main starting point for many, at least until you've racked up enough hours in your book to be considered 'experienced'. Some then transfer across to jobs (Mainly agency work or hired as a contractor thanks to reputation) with a high daily rate (£450+) rather than a basic salary (£20,500) + daily rate (£145).

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
I did the course in Windermere as part of my resettlement last year, but had no end of problems getting a job. At the time, companies were only taking people on if they had experience (4/5 weeks minimum) with X, Y or Z ROV's etc. So it became a bit of a Catch 22 situation, with just trying to get your foot in the door. Hence why I'm now working at Airbus.

So make sure you check around and see exactly who's recruiting, and what they class as trainees. Also try getting your Off-Shore medical sorted and also try get a Survival Course if you have some resettlement grant left over.

Max

Sergeant
As far as I can gather it's also down to who you know and them beign able to get your CV to the right people as a fair number of people I worked with in the past are now offshore or in related industries and they were at ISK. Also might be worth getting yourself on Linkedin if you're not already.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I did the course in Windermere as part of my resettlement last year, but had no end of problems getting a job. At the time, companies were only taking people on if they had experience (4/5 weeks minimum) with X, Y or Z ROV's etc. So it became a bit of a Catch 22 situation, with just trying to get your foot in the door. Hence why I'm now working at Airbus.So make sure you check around and see exactly who's recruiting, and what they class as trainees. Also try getting your Off-Shore medical sorted and also try get a Survival Course if you have some resettlement grant left over.
And yet, checking the ROVworld forum, it appears that they are crying out for Techs. The line that seems to be taken is that they want Techs who can be trained on ROV's not folk who first need to be trained as a 'Tech'. That suggests to me that if you are competent (Measuring signals, holding a spanner etc), possess a decent level of written / oral / interpersonnel skills and have it all laid out in a succinct but hard hitting CV then you should be ok. Like I said though, I'm just dipping my toe in the water for now.

Max

Sergeant
And yet, checking the ROVworld forum, it appears that they are crying out for Techs. The line that seems to be taken is that they want Techs who can be trained on ROV's not folk who first need to be trained as a 'Tech'. That suggests to me that if you are competent (Measuring signals, holding a spanner etc), possess a decent level of written / oral / interpersonnel skills and have it all laid out in a succinct but hard hitting CV then you should be ok. Like I said though, I'm just dipping my toe in the water for now.

I can't remember what trade you are but Rigger/Sooty or even Fairy Leckies don't have too much to do to prove their ability and a fair number are already out there.

Malesu

Corporal
Subscriber
(12 yrs as RAF Techie (Prop/Mech) & 3.5 yrs RN Marine Eng Tiff & Mech Eng Degree.... Is that Techie enough???)

Well I am talking about 12 months ago,and that's what I experienced. I just haven't looked since I've been working at Airbus.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
(12 yrs as RAF Techie (Prop/Mech) & 3.5 yrs RN Marine Eng Tiff & Mech Eng Degree.... Is that Techie enough???)

I would have thought so, maybe it just wasn't the right time. They are crying out for Techies at the moment. The trend seems to be towards Vocational Qualifications (NVQ etc) as opposed to a degree or Masters. (They might be able to tell you the atomic mass of a banana but they can't bloody well peel one!)

Max

Sergeant

Well I am talking about 12 months ago,and that's what I experienced. I just haven't looked since I've been working at Airbus.

I did also mention that it seemed to be who you know as much if not more so than what but with that experience it wouldn't be an issue if you could get your CV to the right person..

Only what I've been told by various people who have done it as I'm still in myself.

Life-Is-Good

SAC
Subscriber
I'd be interested to know how the event in Aberdeen goes.

There are three guys at our place talking about this: one who is approaching time-ex and two others who are talking about PVR-ing.

The guy who is near to time-ex knows guys on the inside and is adamant there are "loads" of jobs out there for techies. (I guess this follows the line that it's easier to train an operator than a technician.)

I still have a few years to go before I hit 22 but with the new pension approaching and the possibility of EDP at 20 years rather than 22, this is something I am considering.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Anyone wanting to attend may be disappointed.

I applied a few weeks ago and was told that it was already oversubscribed.

Luckily, the people organising it (Career Transition Partnership) decided to split it to half day attendance, so they could give twice the amount of people the opportunity to visit.

I managed to get a place... but then gave it up when I was offered a job. So someone got my place... I hope you make the most of it!

I'm sure if it's THAT popular, they'll organise another one soon enough! If they do, I hope they organise the next one a bit further south... as it was going to take me over 12 hours travel by Train to get there from the West Midlands! :raf:

HTB

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Anyone wanting to attend may be disappointed.I applied a few weeks ago and was told that it was already oversubscribed.
I'm one of the guys who can't go in before 1300 on the day. It's an Ex-forces (or soon to be) only event as well which means plenty of competition from high calibre individuals. So the old CV will get a good rewrite in the next couple of days prior to attending.

Harry B'Stard

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I'm one of the guys who can't go in before 1300 on the day. It's an Ex-forces (or soon to be) only event as well which means plenty of competition from high calibre individuals. So the old CV will get a good rewrite in the next couple of days prior to attending.

Best of luck Spearmint!

and all the rest of you attending!

HTB

Tashy_Man

Tashied Goatee
I went to the same fair about 6 years ago and was heart set on going down the ROV tech route. Eventually got offered a trainee position but had already been offered a job as a trainee seismic observer. 5 years down the line still doing it....so don't limit yourself, take a look at all that's on offer.
Best of luck !

Sent from my iPad 2 ....yes I doooo

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
I went to the same fair about 6 years ago and was heart set on going down the ROV tech route. Eventually got offered a trainee position but had already been offered a job as a trainee seismic observer. 5 years down the line still doing it....so don't limit yourself, take a look at all that's on offer.Best of luck !Sent from my iPad 2 ....yes I doooo
Cheers Tashy Man, I'll approach this in my usual stance of 'eyes wide open', hand my CV over to as many as possible and take whatever available feedback on board.