• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

ROV Pilot / Tech's

kawoloki

Sergeant
I am thinking about going for the big redundancy carrot that is being dangled in front of me at the mo and the potential career path that I am looking at is ROV pilot / tech.

Do any goaters who are employed in the offshore world have any advice about what the job prospects are like? I'm a JNCO A tech AV (core Avionics) with 13 years under my belt.

would it be worth forking out the 7 - 8 K for training or are there companies recruiting that would put me through the course at their expense?

Any information about the ROV world (or any other offshore careers and training) would be most appreciated.

R

rumblefish

I am looking at doing an ROV/tech course though the one i was looking at is £2200. I need to have a rethink and redirection on my future.
I have already left the service and will be looking at using an ELC to fund the course though i will still need to find the 20% contribution and accomodation fees.
My main concerns are probably the same, wondering what the job market is like and if anyone is recruiting etc.
Have you found out anything new?

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I was expecting the ROV bubble to burst. Are there still plenty of opportunities in this field?

kawoloki

Sergeant
At the moment I'm still in limbo until I know if the redundancy app has been successful. I know a few more places to look now and some of the other kinds of jobs out there (seismic survey ships etc) but not trying to go too deep at the mo, after all they're only chopping 30 this tranche!!

Get Tae

Flight Sergeant
i did the course at MTCS in 08 and never got a job off shore as the market went south the exact time I was getting out. It did however get me a foot in the door with Schilling Robotics in Aberdeen who manufacture ROV's and have the market cornered with manipulators.

The ROV market is picking up but it is very hard to break into unless you have an insider to push your CV.

If you still want to go off shore there are several companies recruiting at the moment e.g PSN, Aker, Expro, Hydrafit just look at any of the oil and gas job search places.

The oil and gas market is buoyant and good pay so if you cant get an ROV slot don't be too despondent.

kawoloki

Sergeant
After being OOA when my Wing Commander received the tranche 1 redundancy letter for me it's time to start thinking offshore again after the fields were announced today.

At the mo I'm fine-tweaking my CV ready to send out to a few companies prior to the announcement of tranche 2 in June. Anyone got more advice as to which ones are recruiting now?

Pikey735

LAC
Id say to get speaking to Subsea7, Fugro, Oceaneering, Hallin marine, Reef subsea and DOF subsea, off the top of my head if your dead set on ROV pilot tech. Theyve all got websites, plus get yourself on linkedin to get in touch direct with people in those companies.

Good Luck.