• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Resettlement Gratuity Payment

Hello all,

In a few months i will be out of the RAF and back into the real world. I have heard of people leaving prior to the 12 year mark by bringing their out date forward with a solid job offer and still qualifying for the 12 year gratuity lump sum.

I have asked all around station including chief clerk and no one can give me a solid answer. Has anyone had any such experience and if so how?

Thanks all

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
Hello all,

In a few months i will be out of the RAF and back into the real world. I have heard of people leaving prior to the 12 year mark by bringing their out date forward with a solid job offer and still qualifying for the 12 year gratuity lump sum.

I have asked all around station including chief clerk and no one can give me a solid answer. Has anyone had any such experience and if so how?

Thanks all

As far as I know the system will not allow this. You need to do the 12 yrs to get the RG.

Perhaps what you are think of is the arrangement whereby ORs can leave shortly before the 22 yr point and still get their Immediate Pension. Rule is:

(4) A member whose pension rank is not that of an officer who ceases to be in service before reaching the immediate pension point is treated for the purpose of paragraph (3) as ceasing to be in service at the immediate pension point if—
(a) the member on ceasing to be in service has a least 21 years’ and 274 days’ qualifying service from the age of 18; and
(b) the Scheme administrator is satisfied that the member intends immediately on ceasing to be in service to—

1. (i) enter civilian employment and that employment must start before the member reaches the immediate pension point (apart from this rule); or
  2. (ii) begin full-time education or a training course at an educational establishment which starts before the member reaches the immediate pension point (apart from this rule).

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
Vauxhall, where is that extract from? Is there a similar arrangement for the 20/40 point?

It comes from the AFPS 75 Statutory Instrument (SI) dated 25 Feb 2010. Rule D2(4) refers (pages 24-25).

The rule is about Immediate Pensions not to be confused with the EDP which is not a pension. I am pretty sure that no such rule exists but I will look at the SI to give you certainty.

Vauxhall

Sergeant
FORCES PENSION EXPERT
It comes from the AFPS 75 Statutory Instrument (SI) dated 25 Feb 2010. Rule D2(4) refers (pages 24-25).

The rule is about Immediate Pensions not to be confused with the EDP which is not a pension. I am pretty sure that no such rule exists but I will look at the SI to give you certainty.

I have looked at the SI (at link) and no such provision is included. The member has to meet all the conditions set out in the rule:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2014/2328/pdfs/uksi_20142328_en.pdf