• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reserves Halton Course...

Entropy

Sergeant
I don't think that the course has changed much in the last 3 years but at Halton you basically do all the practical parts to your phase 1 basic training. Its assumed that before BRTC you are taught to march and look after yourself in block so make the most of your weekends with your Sqn beforehand.

This leaves 2 weeks to cover the 3 main topics of phase 1, weapons handling, First aid and CBRN (NBC to the more mature recruit). In addition you cover additional subjects in the class room such as basic map reading, recuperation, battle field first aid and a couple of others as well. The regular recruits are allocated 4 weeks for this phase of training so its quite intensive at times as this all has to be crammed into half the time.

I would like to add that you are treated as an adult especially on the weekends when there are no regular recruits around, you will really notice the difference when they are around. However if you prat about then you will be treated like the kids. Our course was on top of standards in block and believed that the rooms were initially checked while we were in the hangar and that there were no inspections during the length of my course as we were quite tight with standards. Colleagues from my Sqn who were on different courses have said that they were subject to inspections in block.

At times the course will test you, but its a good giggle and you will get to meet people from other Sqns. If you are prepared to put the effort in then you will have a great time.

Mag2grid

Corporal
I don't think that the course has changed much in the last 3 years but at Halton you basically do all the practical parts to your phase 1 basic training. Its assumed that before BRTC you are taught to march and look after yourself in block so make the most of your weekends with your Sqn beforehand.

This leaves 2 weeks to cover the 3 main topics of phase 1, weapons handling, First aid and CBRN (NBC to the more mature recruit). In addition you cover additional subjects in the class room such as basic map reading, recuperation, battle field first aid and a couple of others as well. The regular recruits are allocated 4 weeks for this phase of training so its quite intensive at times as this all has to be crammed into half the time.

I would like to add that you are treated as an adult especially on the weekends when there are no regular recruits around, you will really notice the difference when they are around. However if you prat about then you will be treated like the kids. Our course was on top of standards in block and believed that the rooms were initially checked while we were in the hangar and that there were no inspections during the length of my course as we were quite tight with standards. Colleagues from my Sqn who were on different courses have said that they were subject to inspections in block.

At times the course will test you, but its a good giggle and you will get to meet people from other Sqns. If you are prepared to put the effort in then you will have a great time.

whats the the down time like on the Reserves BRTC? Also is there programme in phys or is this done in your own time over the 2 weeks?

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
My current understanding is that what you want to do in down time is largely driven by how prepared your own squadron has made you for the course, specifically GSK - but also other more nuanced service areas. Some just dump their recruits in there without any prep, and that is is a very, very bad idea indeed.

You do a GSK examination on Day 1 - fluff it and you do it again at the end. Fluff that and....