• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Remote cmputer rying to access mine

N

Noodle

Hi, don't know who to take this to, but having soe problems with a remote computer trying to access this one.

It has an extensive firewall on it because I got trojan last year, so not too worried, just worried about anyone else who doesn't.

It only seems to be this site too.

Just to let you know

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Hi, don't know who to take this to, but having soe problems with a remote computer trying to access this one.

It has an extensive firewall on it because I got trojan last year, so not too worried, just worried about anyone else who doesn't.

Just to let you know

Switch the remore access facility off on XP. I think you are just getting normal traffic as opposed to full attack

sausage2

Decorated war hero
Administrator
1000+ Posts
Switch the remore access facility off on XP. I think you are just getting normal traffic as opposed to full attack

Right SSH. pretend I'm really sh1t with computers, and tell me exactly how to do that so a 7 year old child could understand

SirSaltyHelmet

Thoroughly Nice Chap
Start > Control Panel > System.

Click on the remote tab. Make sure the remote desktop is not selected.

Noodle, you are saying that this site is attacking you?

SORRY CJ

Flight Sergeant
Start > Control Panel > System.

Click on the remote tab. Make sure the remote desktop is not selected.

Just checked mine and mines allowing it (didn't know it was even there). This is the default setting and I have had no probs at all.
Noodle what’s actually happening?

SCJ

M

monobrow

Noodle, I doubt the remote computer trying to access you is actually e-goat.

However it may store certain info about you on your computer and it may be trying to access that data.

For instance, if you tick the "remember me" box on log-in, it has to store that password somewhere!!! (it is encrypted).

I'd recomend checking your cookie settings (Start -> Control Panel -> Internet Options -> Privacy). I've usually got that set to medium.

This is of course a complete stab in the dark, unless you can post exactly what the error message says.

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant

Just to let you know

If your firewall is picking it up and notifying you about it, it's not a problem.
The background traffic of the internet means that your computer will be 'probed' every now and then. This is normal. A sustained attack is possible though, just make sure your firewall is up to date and you should be ok.
Make you have disabled remote assistance though.
Are there any other problems associated with this problem though. Is your browser being redirected? Has your system started to slow down when doing normal tasks? Is your hard disc running like a steam train when the computer is idle?

N

Noodle

If your firewall is picking it up and notifying you about it, it's not a problem.
The background traffic of the internet means that your computer will be 'probed' every now and then. This is normal. A sustained attack is possible though, just make sure your firewall is up to date and you should be ok.
Make you have disabled remote assistance though.
Are there any other problems associated with this problem though. Is your browser being redirected? Has your system started to slow down when doing normal tasks? Is your hard disc running like a steam train when the computer is idle?

Thanks, it seems to be behaving now, was just concerned thats all

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant

OI!! NOODLE, YOU DRESS BADLY AND YOU SMELL!!!

It is now:pDT_Xtremez_42:

Just getting my coat.:pDT_Xtremez_40:

Disclaimer: This post is simply the vehicle for a purile, and not particularly funny joke, and should not in any way to be considered an actual personal attack on Noodle's dress sense or personal hygiene as the poster has never met her. If people still wish to interpret it as such then they may feel free to ram it up their hoops. Thank you for reading

Last edited:
N

Noodle

Ha ha ha, don't know what it is I have, just know its really powerful.

Like I said, it seems to have shut up now.

And as for you TLS, thanks that acyually cheered me up on a really dreary morning

TrenchardsLoveSock

Flight Sergeant
And as for you TLS, thanks that acyually cheered me up on a really dreary morning

Glad I could still help despite all the proper advice already handed out.

You could always cheer yourself up some more by treating yourself to some nice Marmite sandwiches.

Those Marmite crisps that Walkers used to do were nice too:pDT_Xtremez_30:

P

PLC1966

So does the Windows Firewall provide decent protection, or has that been stiffed by hackers ?

R_Squared

Flight Sergeant
So does the Windows Firewall provide decent protection, or has that been stiffed by hackers ?

It's ok, it was beefed up with SP2 but I wouldn't rely on it.
There are quite a few free Firewalls out there. I use and recommend Zonealarm.
Once installed it'll pop up every now and then asking if something can access the internet at first, if you tick the box and click accept it'll stop bothering you.
It can also be told to not bother you about every port scan that it detects, and will happily sit in your system tray quietly doing it's job.
Download it HERE
And click on 'I Only want basic Zonealarm protection'.
Hope this helps.

M

monobrow

I'll second that recommendation rojaws. I've used it for quite some time!