• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Reject

D

dogboy

I'm killing two birds with one stone in the hope I don't upset the mods and not post in the introduce yourself section.

I'm an ex RAFP cop whose been out for nearly 20 years in civvie land.
I served for 6 years mainly on dogs @ St Athan and Cyprus and as a Stn Fed @ Credenhill (Hereford)
On leaving the mob I joined the Met Police and have had a full and varied career thus far.
With a change in circumstances I have found I've got a little bit more flexability in my life, so my thoughts focussed on not what I could get, but on what I perhaps could offer.(Very noble I know!)

Today, I telephoned the RAFP TPW Reserves and asked for an application to join. So far so good. I asked a few pertinent questions, gave all my personal details and the conversation was finished with a promise to send me the relevant application pack.
Still so far so good with the caveat I hadn't yet discussed the matter with my significant other not that it would be a great problem .

My phone rang some time later and I was informed the initial application had been rejected, apparently by the Sqd Ldr. on the basis I did not possess the minimum maths qualification. "But I left school 32 years ago, have done 6 very succesfull years in the Royal Air Force Police and have been a cop for 20 years" I protested. "Sorry, but you don't fulfill the criteria" was the reply.

I could go on about how experienced I am, what I have achieved in the last 26 years, what I've got to offer etc, but I'm almost speechless. Not because I'm so good and well it's your loss, but because I've been rejected on the basis that when I left school 32 years ago, I didn't get a suitable maths grade.

Your thoughts?

Dogboy

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Slightly harsh methinks mate as I didnt need maths to join the regs I just did the aptitude test, but then I cant pretend to know what 3 TPW decide for themselves. Is there an appeal process of any kind? or maybe put your thoughts in writing to the PM at Henlow?

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Sounds like you've been well and truly seen off. I know for a fact that a lack of A-levels can be offset for folk who decide to remuster to the dark side with time under their belts. If it means so much then I would say an appeal can't hurt.

G

gemarriott

You need good maths to count the rockstar wages coppers get these days:pDT_Xtremez_42:

sounds rough to me though.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Too true Gem!!

Dogboy I have a friend asking questions about the policy and will let you know if he gets back to me with anything.

D

dogboy

You need good maths to count the rockstar wages coppers get these days:pDT_Xtremez_42:

sounds rough to me though.

Gemarriott.
Not a Daily Mail reader are you? Believe only half you see and nothing you read, although as the advert says "I'm worth it."

On a serious note, thanks for your replies. I'm going to wait and see how the land lies before going through any appeals processes. I'll speak to a few still serving and recently retired mates and court their opinions etc.
It sits quite nicely with a recent thread on here regarding how things have changed. And there was me thinking I had a lot to offer.
Deluded I must be!!!

Sospan.
diolch am y cyngor. Although I'm not up to the speed of Carol Vordermen I've managed ok without the O level.

Last edited:

Entropy

Sergeant
I also left school with no O level in maths. It bugged me for the best part of 25 years. I decided to sort it out and mailed Edexcel as they still do Maths (linear), 2 set exams with no course work.

They sent me a list of exam centres that except 'private candidates' I contacted one near me. All they do is facilitate the sitting of the exam without any tution, small fee obviously.

I bought a revision pack off amazon, after 8 weeks of lots of work I sat the exam and passed, well happy.

I would appeal given your previous service and civvie job but if they still say no you can follow my route get the exam and prove them wrong.

All the best and go for it.

D

dogboy

Alternatively, if one day you find yourself pinching a particularly long one off, you might just choose to do a maths O level before you wipe..........

http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/sm/ocr_44123_sm_gcse_2010_maths.pdf

I've printed it off and will wait for the weekend vindaloo before I put it to good use.
I'm not so pompous to think I should be able to circumvent any process, but the point of me taking steps to apply was that having had 26 years in the industry, both in a military and civil capacity, I thought In had an awful lot to offer. As I said previously, I'm not going to sit here and blah all day about how good I am (Or not) but an O level in maths isn't going make me a better Police officer. Unless that is I have aspirations to go into financial investigation.
My skills lie elsewhere, which is one of the reasons I tried to apply.
As I said, must be deluded|!

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
I've printed it off and will wait for the weekend vindaloo before I put it to good use.
I'm not so pompous to think I should be able to circumvent any process, but the point of me taking steps to apply was that having had 26 years in the industry, both in a military and civil capacity, I thought In had an awful lot to offer. As I said previously, I'm not going to sit here and blah all day about how good I am (Or not) but an O level in maths isn't going make me a better Police officer. Unless that is I have aspirations to go into financial investigation.
My skills lie elsewhere, which is one of the reasons I tried to apply.
As I said, must be deluded|!

Nobody will think that of you, but if you want 'in' and you have to play the system, sit the 2 hour exam, get the tick in the box and collect £200 when passing go.

Rocket_Ronster

You ain`t seen me.
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
You should have told `em thats why you had the dog, to do the maths problems. :pDT_Xtremez_42:

(I used to work with one of North Yorks finest police dog handlers, his tales were top quality. His standard response was he was only there to drive the intellectual one around.)

Good luck.

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
My mate spoke to his friend whos in reserves and apparently she had a D in maths and it wasnt that important.

dogman

LAC
Hard luck with your app,If you want to get in touch with ex RAFP and RAFP(d) go on to the RAF Police association on the web,you may find old mates in a similar situation.Cheers Dogman 1956 to 1968