• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Registering my interest in applying with careers office. Calling very expensive.

I am a 30 year old British male interested in applying for the following roles:

Biomedical scientist
Pharmacy technician
Radiographer

My university training and skills can be transferred to any of them, registering my interest over the phone is way too expensive. (I am currently living in Austria).

If someone in the know can connect me to an appropriate email or two that would be great and go easy on the stretched wallet. I am aware of the residency waiver and all that so I just need an appropriate email to register my interest, get an application form ect ect.

Cheers

John

unruly1986

Sergeant
I am a 30 year old British male interested in applying for the following roles:

Biomedical scientist
Pharmacy technician
Radiographer

My university training and skills can be transferred to any of them, registering my interest over the phone is way too expensive. (I am currently living in Austria).

If someone in the know can connect me to an appropriate email or two that would be great and go easy on the stretched wallet. I am aware of the residency waiver and all that so I just need an appropriate email to register my interest, get an application form ect ect.

Cheers

John

Can you get on Skype and do it that way? Will cost you peanuts.

Called the official number on the RAF website.

Apparently the lady on the other end told me that the residency waiver conditions that apply to me are only applicable if you are under 22. I don't really get that.

Why should it only apply if you are under 22?

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
I rang the careers helpline and explained that a 'friend' was interested in joining and gave them a basic outline of your details.

The individual said that you should just apply as normal and you would be expected to undergo further checks.

Chose an AFCO and start the process but you will have to fly/drive/rail/cycle back for an interview early in the process so i would suggest you do this soonest and get the ball rolling. The onus is on you to get of your backside if you really want to do it the RAF will not chase you and demonstrate a level of commitment early on will definitely stand you in good stead.

The trade you want may not be available but they may offer you alternatives that you have not thought of, radiographer, environmental health, MSO or even non-medical trades. You may even consider the other Services but this requires commitment on your part.

Good luck

I rang the careers helpline and explained that a 'friend' was interested in joining and gave them a basic outline of your details.

The individual said that you should just apply as normal and you would be expected to undergo further checks.

Chose an AFCO and start the process but you will have to fly/drive/rail/cycle back for an interview early in the process so i would suggest you do this soonest and get the ball rolling. The onus is on you to get of your backside if you really want to do it the RAF will not chase you and demonstrate a level of commitment early on will definitely stand you in good stead.

The trade you want may not be available but they may offer you alternatives that you have not thought of, radiographer, environmental health, MSO or even non-medical trades. You may even consider the other Services but this requires commitment on your part.

Good luck

Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate it.

I am definitely willing to do all the necessary traveling, thats not such a big problem.

When i choose an AFCO, does that mean i should call one of the local offices directly? rather than their general contact number?

I could fill out the form online with one of my relatives addresses in the UK.

Cheers

MattBombHead

Sergeant
Thanks a lot mate, I really appreciate it.

I am definitely willing to do all the necessary traveling, thats not such a big problem.

When i choose an AFCO, does that mean i should call one of the local offices directly? rather than their general contact number?

I could fill out the form online with one of my relatives addresses in the UK.

Cheers

Work out which AFCO is closest to your relatives, and easiest to travel in to the country from and register using that address.

HOWEVER - make sure the AFCO know your circumstances as early as possible, that way, no one can claim that you're not being honest and open as you go through the vetting processes.

The first contact you'll have from the AFCO will be, depending on which route you want to go down, an invite for the Airman Selection Test or Officer and Senior Non Commisioned Officer Presentation (known as the P2 Presentation).

This point is your best opportunity of speaking face to face with the recruiter, and sorting out any issues.

Work out which AFCO is closest to your relatives, and easiest to travel in to the country from and register using that address.

HOWEVER - make sure the AFCO know your circumstances as early as possible, that way, no one can claim that you're not being honest and open as you go through the vetting processes.

The first contact you'll have from the AFCO will be, depending on which route you want to go down, an invite for the Airman Selection Test or Officer and Senior Non Commisioned Officer Presentation (known as the P2 Presentation).

This point is your best opportunity of speaking face to face with the recruiter, and sorting out any issues.

Thanks everyone for all the information and assistance. I called the AFCO this morning and asked again regarding my specific conditions, sadly i was told again that because i am over 22, the eligibility for a possible waiver no longer applies to me :(. It was a rather blunt answer.

Its a shame cause i think i could contribute positively to the service.

Maybe one of the other branches might be more willing to take me.

Thanks again for all the assistance.

Cheers

Luke