• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rebuilt Engine

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Has anyone got any hints/tips for starting a rebuilt engine for the first time? I've thought about the obvious things like make sure there's oil and coolant etc, but I didn't know if there's anything else I should be doing.

It's an 1800 "b" series with a single carb.

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Has anyone got any hints/tips for starting a rebuilt engine for the first time? I've thought about the obvious things like make sure there's oil and coolant etc, but I didn't know if there's anything else I should be doing.

It's an 1800 "b" series with a single carb.

I'm no expert, but I think you might want to try putting some fuel into it to mate :pDT_Xtremez_28:

Lamptramp

An ex-DF - in dog rescue!
tappits and timing?

crank by hand with plugs out to get the crank and bearings wet with oil.

Last edited:

Weebl

Flight Sergeant
As said, crank it by hand first.

Then take the plugs out and crank it over on the starter to let the oil pump get the whole system primed, plugs back in then fire it up.

I take it you know about running it in? Are they new cams?

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Hence the line "I've thought about the obvious things like make sure there's oil and coolant etc" you funny f@cker!!:pDT_Xtremez_31:
Well that's just bloody charming !! :pDT_Xtremez_17:

crank by hand with your plugs out to get your crank and bearings wet...
I offer good solid engineering advice while lamptramp and weebl are trying to get you arrested and I'M the funny f@cker !

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
As said, crank it by hand first.

Then take the plugs out and crank it over on the starter to let the oil pump get the whole system primed, plugs back in then fire it up.

I take it you know about running it in? Are they new cams?

Well when I say "rebuilt", I stripped and cleaned it, reground the valve seats and checked everything for wear, as it's supposed to have only done around 50,000 miles. The only things I actually replaced are gaskets and ancilliaries such as alternator, distributor, but nothing internally. I've adjusted the valve clearances as well.

Sorry SB - you know I appreciate anything you say!!

R

Rich_P

Oh, so you just refurbished the top end...

When I did the head gasket on my Land Rover engine I also cleaned up the valves, checked the seats, replaced the valve stem oil seals etc. Then when it came to starting I just turned it over on the starter for a few seconds before then putting the plugs back in and connecting the HT leads. After that I fired it up and Let it idle up to temperature at which point the job should be a good'un.

Two thousand miles on from when I did the head work on my engine and it's still running sweetly.

K

Kernow

Well when I say "rebuilt", I stripped and cleaned it, reground the valve seats and checked everything for wear, as it's supposed to have only done around 50,000 miles. The only things I actually replaced are gaskets and ancilliaries such as alternator, distributor, but nothing internally. I've adjusted the valve clearances as well.

Sorry SB - you know I appreciate anything you say!!

Get a fecking room you two FFS.

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Well I was going to put this in "What I learnt today......", but there's more to it than just a one liner.

I spent Tuesday night trying to get my engine started without much luck. I made sure everything was connected properly (leads, hoses etc) and coolant, oil and fuel were all present. Starter motor turned fine and engine cranks smoothly without any fuss but there's no sign of life. I check for sparks at the plugs and there aren't any, and I track this down to the fact that my points aren't open and closing correctly. Half an hour later and having set up my timing by following the haynes manual, I've got sparks at all 4 cylinders.

At this point, the engine seems as if it wants to start, as it's coffing and spluttering, but it just won't kick into life. I take the Carburretor apart to make sure it's clean etc. and start to play around with the mixture setting. The signs are all good until I get a huge pop and almost a flame blowing back through the exhaust. I decide it's time to have rest and call it an evening.

Wednesday night was spent refitting and checking what I already had done the previous night but the engine still won't start.

Everyone I talked to at work yesterday said that it sounds as if the timing is out and I explain that I've set it up to the letter, but I'm told that it's possible to have the timing 180 degrees out without realising it. I'm fairly convinced that this isn't the case because I labelled all the leads when I took them off the spark leads in the first place. I also noted that it's not physically possible to fit my dizzy 180 degrees out.

Whilst sitting having my tea in the old folks home last night, it dawns on me that when I fitted the brand new distributor, I just swapped the leads one for one from the old cap the new one and just assumed that they were correct. Well I bet most of you can see what's coming next. I swapped leads 1 & 4, 2 & 3 so that in effect they were now 180 degrees out and hey presto, the engine bursts into life instantly. At this point, I don't know wether to congratulate myself or be angry that I missed something so fundemental!!

All I've got to now is get fit the front brakes, clutch cylinders, the rest of the electrics, the interior, the trim...................:S :pDT_Xtremez_35:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Well I was going to put this in "What I learnt today......", but there's more to it than just a one liner.

I spent Tuesday night trying to get my engine started by doing stuff !

Until I decide it's time to have rest and call it an evening.

Wednesday night ....... the engine still won't start.

Everyone I talked to at work yesterday said that I'm dizzy.

Whilst sitting having my tea in the old folks home last night, it dawns on me that when I fitted the brand new distributor, I just swapped the leads and assumed that they were correct.

If you look carefully, I only REMOVED words :pDT_Xtremez_31:

The last line should be:
From now on I am going to stay indoors and let mumof4 fix my car as she will make a quicker job of it !!
Leckies should stick to wires 'n' plugs 'n' stuff !! :pDT_Xtremez_29:

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
If you look carefully, I only REMOVED words :pDT_Xtremez_31:

The last line should be:
From now on I am going to stay indoors and let mumof4 fix my car as she will make a quicker job of it !!
Leckies should stick to wires 'n' plugs 'n' stuff !! :pDT_Xtremez_29:

Well I had to do it myself, cos all the sooties were sat on their arses saying "nothing to do with us" - as usual :pDT_Xtremez_30:

To be fair mate, the engine hasn't been run for god knows how many years ::p:

R

Rich_P

roverboy, that story reminds me of when I was helping a relative's mate get their Indian fired up. Had a few nice big backfires through the carb air intake that frizzled a few hairs. :pDT_Xtremez_17:

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
roverboy, that story reminds me of when I was helping a relative's mate get their Indian fired up. Had a few nice big backfires through the carb air intake that frizzled a few hairs. :pDT_Xtremez_17:

It was quite scarey at first, but then after a couple of times it was rather impressive!! Reminded me off a Tornado after it's had a few failed APU starts and fuel collects in the exhaust duct!!