• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Rank Slides

T

Turtle

the reason some "people" wear the green slides is because the are ****scoffer wannabes, with exception to the rocks, they don't need to be wannabes, they are combat, the rest of us (you, I am on terminal leave) should wear blue, thats what you signed up for, be proud of it

Surely if your wearing green you should wear green rank slides. If you all have so much problem over rank slides just consider this, as most of the OOA support staff never leave the safety of the compound then maybe they should deploy in blues.

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
I have never bought my TCW rank slides. I got issued DPM SAC rank slides, Desert SAC rank slides all with TCW on them. So if i have been issued them why can't I wear them? I've been issued my floppy hat and i'll wear that in sandy places. If they don't want us to wear them then don't issue them...problem solved!!

I take it you went to supply and asked for them all??

So if they were issued, what was the NSN?

Please post your reply, it wont compromise national security.

chumpzilla

Sergeant
Yes I work in maint....and until they issue me with rank slides with 90SU on like they said they where going to do I will continue to wear the rank slides I have been issued with.

Fatty....? I'm 3 stone soaking wet, unlike some people on the comms squadrons I work for a living and can pass my fitness test.

Crack on sunshine!!

From your response, I can pretty much guess who you are now! Do the initials A.P ring true? Or will I have to come down with my super soaker 3000 and set of scales???

Ever thought of unpicking the stitching and scribbling 90SU on your rank slides?! Ha ha!

Those fatties on the comms sqn's are dead (albeit a lot of) weight and should be used to do desk jobs in maint! fishing for a biteboxer

techie_tubby

Warrant Officer
lol no i aint him but I do work with him......well.....i'm in the same flight as him. He's down at Cranwell at the mo doing his OASC

M

mons6

Does anyone know the rules and regs for rank slides?

I've seen TCW, TSW, 1ACC 'personalised' rank slides, but I'm pretty sure they're not issue.

I did hear that TCW were ordered to take off their personalised ones and wear the standard blue at 901 EAW last year, as only RAF Regt & RAFP were allowed to wear desert flavour.

So if they're not issue, should people be wearing them? Or are they like squadron cummerbands, and only to be worn on the station that the unit/squadron is based?

offers a bit of unit identity when all around is going to rat poo.

br9mp81

Corporal
Off Topicnot rank markings i know,but i recall a small fortune being spend on fleece's and jackets etc,for raf firefighters,whats the score with that are they wearing them, or just as work wear,and what did the "swo's" make of it.it's just i was chatting to a cpl fftr before christmas who hated any thing to do the idea of DFRMO.?

Kingpin

SAC
I take it you went to supply and asked for them all??

So if they were issued, what was the NSN?

Please post your reply, it wont compromise national security.

Just give the NSN, then everyone will know they're official.

As I am sure you are well aware MC there is no NSN available for TCW rank slides as they were purchased via 90SU HQ from an outside source. Their legitamacy is therefore questionable to say the least, particularly if the wearer is on FGW FFS!

I have been issued both green and sandy rank slides at my current Unit and see no reason not to wear them.

Why?, you ask.

A. Because, lets face it, blue slides make us all look like complete muppets!

and

B. Surely the great big, ROYAL AIR FORCE, badge above the right pocket is a big enough clue as to my chosen Service. Wouldn't you agree?

KP

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Why do blue slides make us look like muppets? If we all wear them we look uniformed, the whole idea of us being issued the same clothes to come to work. It's not a feckin fashion parade, you're paid to wear the stuff not model it!

snowball1

Sergeant
I wear blue slides, when in combats as i tend to find the pongo's leave you alone, as they can clearly see you are not one of them.

Plus they can't read the Royal Airforce label.

I

ICATQ

AP1358 is the small God of dress regs. from what I remember the only rank slides that are allowed are the RAF Regt and RAFP. Everything else is illegal but I don't think anyone really cares!

The only legal ones are the ones issued from Supply. The Regt and RAFP get green ones issued and dessie ones too.

Dilbert

SAC
I think I remember...

I think I remember...

The early answers I think are the correct ones...

I seem to remember a letter in the RAF News (when the letters page was worth a look) someone bleating on that he thought his blue rank slide on his dessie combats was a good target for a sniper. The reply from the Dress Policy bloke (a Wg Cdr, I think) was along the lines of - camo rank slides aren't issued so you can't wear them, unless you're rock apes or feds (or words to that effect).

As stated earlier in the thread, I don't think a lot of people take note and would try and fizz you for it - or MAA or whatever it is...

If your Unit issues them, wear them. If they don't, don't buy them FFS! If you want cammo ones, join the Army! They'll look nice with your buff jacket, leatherman and maglite combo...

Anyway, I like the blue ones, they match my eyes...:pDT_Xtremez_30:

LNMI20

LAC
Give it a couple of months and you can have all the DPM rank slides you want, supplied by the QM with the blessing of the RSM. I understand that the new No2 'barrack dress' has been agreed. Its blue trousers with CS95 shirt and blue wooley pullies complete with brown elbow patches. Beret colour yet to be decided but possibly 'gun powder pink' with a blue edging. Be careful what you wish for!!!!!

Its blue trousers with CS95 shirt and blue wooley pullies complete with brown elbow patches. Beret colour yet to be decided but possibly 'gun powder pink' with a blue edging. Be careful what you wish for!!!!!

Sounds nice, can I have it now

LNMI20

LAC
Sorry its by rank: Flight Captains, Squadron Majors, Wing Colonels, Group Generals and Air Vice Lance Corporals first, Air Sergeants, Chief Sergeants and Flight Squadron Majors will be next. ORs will have to fight amongst themselves for the rest.......

Climebear

Flight Sergeant
Sorry its by rank: Flight Captains, Squadron Majors, Wing Colonels, Group Generals and Air Vice Lance Corporals first, Air Sergeants, Chief Sergeants and Flight Squadron Majors will be next. ORs will have to fight amongst themselves for the rest.......

Surely is would be Flight Staff Sergeants or perhaps Flight Colour Serjeants