• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAFP v RMP

Minor

SAC
For all the RAFP on here. What made you choose the RAFP over the RMP. Having spoken to a chap in the RMP a few days ago, he seemed quite smug in the fact (in his opinion) that RMP have better prospects for promotion. Better kit, and a more hands on approach to military police work, better conditions etc.

Not being in either i couldnt really put an argument to him only really the reasons why i want to join the RAFP. For him to reply i'd be far better off joining the RMP with the skills i've picked up from civpol.

For all i know the bloke could have been talking out of his ass and the RMP be a pile of sh1te.

I have absolutley no desire to join the RMP, Do any of you have any experience of RMP and was this chap talking sence or sh1te.

K

k9138

For all the RAFP on here. What made you choose the RAFP over the RMP. Having spoken to a chap in the RMP a few days ago, he seemed quite smug in the fact (in his opinion) that RMP have better prospects for promotion. Better kit, and a more hands on approach to military police work, better conditions etc. On the first three counts I am afraid it's true. Better conditions - I disagree completely but that is the Army. The RAF do look after people better.

Not being in either i couldnt really put an argument to him only really the reasons why i want to join the RAFP. For him to reply i'd be far better off joining the RMP with the skills i've picked up from civpol. Depends if you want the Army BS alongside the better promotion/better kit and more police work?

For all i know the bloke could have been talking out of his ass and the RMP be a pile of sh1te. The RAFP and RMP are starting to do more things 'together' courses etc. Dont you love jointery - but I wouldn't say RMP was a pile of sh!te - just different.

I have absolutley no desire to join the RMP, Do any of you have any experience of RMP and was this chap talking sence or sh1te. Did you ask what he knew about the RAFP because unless you speak to someone who has seen both sides then you can't make a judgement. From my experience and from what you have stated I would say he was not talking sh!te.......If you have no desire to join the RMP it shouldn't matter anyway - If you get in and are posted to Cyprus you will see for yourself.

ps. you got your dates yet?

:pDT_Xtremez_15:

The Stig A.D.I.

Corporal
The promotion prospects aren't 'better' in the Army, Minor, just quicker; because irrespective of how far through the ranks you may progress in the Army, at your 22 year point, you'll be out on your arse! Whereas if you join the RAF and would rather check-in than dig-in, come on down... provided you make Sgt inside 22 years (and you certainly should, given your maturity and civpol background) then happy days, you'll be in 'til you're really old - like most of us on here...

Army? Nooooo! :pDT_Xtremez_42:

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
Promotion yes probably quicker as explained by my dear friend Stig.

Kit I disagree K9 we get much the same as them now.

If by more hands on you mean, can bawl and shout at someone yes then he is right, if you mean manage to engage brain before dealing with someone then no afraid not. They deal with squaddies, we can deal with squaddies and RAF techies :) we win :)

K

k9138

If by more hands on you mean, can bawl and shout at someone yes then he is right, if you mean manage to engage brain before dealing with someone then no afraid not. They deal with squaddies, we can deal with squaddies and RAF techies :) we win :)

I have obviously had a different experience of RMP to you then - yes there were some knobbers but I'm afraid I met just as many in the RAFP. Swings and roundabouts, in every job there are people who are good and bad and people who you like and don't. You just get a little less BS in the RAF.

As far as the kit you know more than me on that one if you also know what the RMP have as I have been out a bit :pDT_Xtremez_28:

chiprafp

Geek Scuffer
In my experience mate they all have a very different way of dealing with incidents, and that just the way they are.

M

MyShineyAr$e

I'm by no means an expert, but after spending 2 years as CJPU clk circa '02-'04 I feel I can contribute a non biased, relatively informed view on this topic.

I had not encountered any RMP before my posting and really didn't expect them to be any different than our friendly neighbourhood RAFP. However what immediatly struck me was how much more investigative knowledge and experience they had compared to the majority (not all) of our guys. It was only really the old and bold RAFP who could compare. I think this was down to the phase two training the RAFP recieved at the time..

I can recall several occasions where the gulf in knowledge was evident. Not least when I had to provide a witness statment for an incident in the RMP Cpls Mess. The statement was being taken by a A/Cpl and she didn't have a scooby what she was doing. In fact, and I don't mean to sound like a tw@t, but from having sight of hundreds of statements that came through my office, I was almost guiding her through the statement.

However, this perhaps wasn't her fault. During my tour there was plans for a complete overhaul of RAFP trg to try and emulate the trg that the RMPs did. I think this came as a result of muted attempts to form a tri-service police force. Not sure what came of it, but I know the RAFP I have met since have all seemed to be more focused on 'real' policing rather than security, car-parking and the such.

By the way, I was present for the trial of the white beret. I take it it's not going to happen in this lifetime?

Talk Wrench

E-Goat addict
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Promotion yes probably quicker as explained by my dear friend Stig.

Kit I disagree K9 we get much the same as them now.

Ha, caught you red handed Chip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You love techys really and you know it.

On a serious note, I only had dealings with RMP's once during my time in the mob and they just wanted to "do someone a fizzer". e.g punch up in the bop, arrest offending articles and various bystanders and lots of admin nightmares from that moment on.

The RAFP 9 times out of 10 generally diffused situations before they arose. e.g punch up in the bop, few curt words with the offending articles and on yer way sunshine.

The RAFP certainly have a better concept of the word "Discretion"

Minor, you'll have better opportunities in the RAFP. Don't be swayed by the "covered in green, covered in cr@p" brigade.

TW

TW

K

k9138

Ha, caught you red handed Chip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You love techys really and you know it.

On a serious note, I only had dealings with RMP's once during my time in the mob and they just wanted to "do someone a fizzer". e.g punch up in the bop, arrest offending articles and various bystanders and lots of admin nightmares from that moment on. You can't really judge them from one occasion! The RMP tend to wade in a lot of the time due to the people they are dealing with, that is, a generally rougher bunch of guys than the RAF employ and any RAFP who have attended a full blown regiment kick off in a confined space will know what I mean.

The RAFP 9 times out of 10 generally diffused situations before they arose. e.g punch up in the bop, few curt words with the offending articles and on yer way sunshine. Dependant on when you were in a lot of RAFP either didn't want to or didn't know how to do the paperwork that went with an arrest because the need hardly ever arose on UK bases and the 7 weeks police training was not sufficient enough. The training has changed a lot now though and I am told more in line with RMP as the RAFP is no longer a 'barrier up/barrier down' job.

The RAFP certainly have a better concept of the word "Discretion" Generally true but so do the majority of RMP dependant on the situation. Like I said, they are dealing with a very different bunch to the average RAF airman!

Minor, you'll have better opportunities in the RAFP. Don't be swayed by the "covered in green, covered in cr@p" brigade.

TW

TW

What opportunities are these and how long before you get a chance to do it?

Minor

SAC
I'm not swayed by RMP at all. Dont fancy it what so ever. I'll stick with RAFP as my application process is moving along at some speed now.

G

GmanJock

I'm not swayed by RMP at all. Dont fancy it what so ever. I'll stick with RAFP as my application process is moving along at some speed now.

i spent a lot of time down at Honington as a TG and found the RAFP to be a little more professional than the RMP on base, also, even though i was only a TG i could tell that the RAF look after its personell better as iv heard a few horror stories from friends in the army..

im just waiting for my date to go to Halton as my re-trade has been given the go-ahead.
Getting plenty of stick from my mates who all went to 1 and 51 squadron (who are now in afghan and Iraq), but in my view, its worth the wait and the banter::p: