• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Tailors

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
My mum was a time served tailoress who made uniforms for the Army years ago when bases existed around Barnard Castle...so after the RAF tailor handed over my no.1 I took it home and she finished it off...I was never picked up for anything to do with it over my 25 years...

Entropy

Sergeant
It's definitely a Brize thing, my mate is only 5' 3" and when being fitted for his No2's they could only find trousers with his waist size for a 6' Adonis. The result was 11" taken off the bottom of his trousers and a cut that could only be described as lounge fit!

Don't know why those trousers are so long though must have been a Friday afternoon photoshoot.

Ronsuddes

SAC
It's definitely a Brize thing, my mate is only 5' 3" and when being fitted for his No2's they could only find trousers with his waist size for a 6' Adonis. The result was 11" taken off the bottom of his trousers and a cut that could only be described as lounge fit!

Don't know why those trousers are so long though must have been a Friday afternoon photoshoot.

An RAF Tailoring Contractor sized me for a T63 and tailored it to fit although the tunic seemed too tight.. When it arrived back the tunic was still too tight which the tailor agreed to alter. Next time it came back it was fine as a fit, but the tailor had added patches between the back of the tunic and the arms. I complained to the Witnessing Officer who told me it was acceptable. I then complained to my Flt Lt who hit the roof and immediately contacted Sqn Ldr Supply who went with me back to the tailor. He told the tailor the original tunic was obviously the wrong size which he should revert to original, at his expense, and give me a larger tunic.
He stayed with me whilst the tailor fitted the tunic and noticed the neck didn't seem a good fit and should be reduced. The tailor refused as neck adjustments were not on his contract. The Sqn Ldr was getting annoyed and told the tailor to measure me for a special size which was made by Burtons and fitted me like glove. Suppliers couldn't believe I qualified for a special aize as I was 5' 8" 12 stone with a 34" waist.

stereolab

Station Cashier

Witty_Banter

Flight Sergeant
Any horror stories out there? I have just seen one on the RAF website with an airwoman whose trousers are a ridiculous length..

Nah, they're probably just 'new'. They have to be issued at a rediculous length, because of how much they shrink (tailored trews would soon be shorts otherwise). One quick spin through the barrack block washer and they'll be fine...

Either that, or they tried that photo with a her wearing a skirt and the angle was a bit too 'upskirt'...