• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Ski Champs 2015

I have never been to the ski champs and would like any info anyone has ie money I can claim back.It doesn't have much info on the application form and would like to know if you just book your own flights then submit the detail on the application.Thanks

jti

LAC
Speak to your OIC Winter Sports, or log into Airspace where the Admin Order is downloadable. All of the gen is in there.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
I used to go every year but prices have steadily crept up to a point it's now cheaper to go on a ski holiday. Flights and lift passes were subsidised but the accommodation and in resort prices were quite hefty last time I was there. Also the snow conditions were pretty poor at that time of year.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
I used to go every year but prices have steadily crept up to a point it's now cheaper to go on a ski holiday. Flights and lift passes were subsidised but the accommodation and in resort prices were quite hefty last time I was there. Also the snow conditions were pretty poor at that time of year.

IMO it's still probably about £500 - £600 cheaper per person to do champs than a holiday.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
I have never been to the ski champs and would like any info anyone has ie money I can claim back.It doesn't have much info on the application form and would like to know if you just book your own flights then submit the detail on the application.Thanks

If you can get on the champs do - it's great, you wont regret it.

Firstly it's RAF Sport so you dont have to put leave in to go. Win Win.

You can claim back the costs of your flights up to £125 (if you're booking now you shouldn't have a problem getting the price under that). You're entitled to MT to get you to the airport. You will get CILOR which if there is a couple of you all chucking money in for food you wont have a problem making that cover your food costs with enough left for a couple of nights in a restaurant rather than cooking. Get yourself 5 tickets on the sports lottery and you'll get yourself the full amount back from them (it was £150 last year if I remember correctly). Also if you are below the rank of Sgt you will be able to apply to your station SIF for another wedge of cash back towards it.

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Depends where you go on holiday. I chose Bulgaria over the Ski Champs for over all price and cost of living in resort. I can be known to drink rather a lot so Hinterglemm prices don't agree with my wallet. That said skiing in Austria is far superior if the snow is good.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
Depends where you go on holiday. I chose Bulgaria over the Ski Champs for over all price and cost of living in resort. I can be known to drink rather a lot so Hinterglemm prices don't agree with my wallet. That said skiing in Austria is far superior if the snow is good.

This is very true. I've not skied in Bulgaria (nor had a summer holiday there) so I cant comment on prices. My ski holidays have been to the likes of Meribel so bound to be cheaper for the champs. Just pricing up my new years ski holiday now (with 2 ski expeds already next year I cant justify champs this year sadly). Any recommendations? Needs to have a good ski school for my las - though he will soon be a much better skier than me!

G

Gord

I guess Whistler, home of the last winter Olympics is out of the question then, even at 1.81 dollars to the pound. :wink:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
We discovered Livigno last year...took the family inc. 7 and 11 year olds. Its tax free so great value and has 115km of piste. plenty of ski schools for the other 3 whilst I headed off with the rest of our extended party to some of the widest red pistes I have ever experienced allowing great fun skiing. I've been on more challenging blacks I must admit but at 45 I need to admit that I'm starting to get too old to really kick ass anymore anyway (they again were too wide to rate black imo but fun all the same). eating out at night time was enhanced not oly by great Italian food but the fact that whatever we ate or drank it always seemed to come to 10 euros a head. beers were 2 euros for a grande.

sorry to hijack the thread a bit but its a place I'd go again in a heartbeat with kids...the locals are real friendly with the kids as well.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
We discovered Livigno last year...took the family inc. 7 and 11 year olds. Its tax free so great value and has 115km of piste. plenty of ski schools for the other 3 whilst I headed off with the rest of our extended party to some of the widest red pistes I have ever experienced allowing great fun skiing. I've been on more challenging blacks I must admit but at 45 I need to admit that I'm starting to get too old to really kick ass anymore anyway (they again were too wide to rate black imo but fun all the same). eating out at night time was enhanced not oly by great Italian food but the fact that whatever we ate or drank it always seemed to come to 10 euros a head. beers were 2 euros for a grande.

sorry to hijack the thread a bit but its a place I'd go again in a heartbeat with kids...the locals are real friendly with the kids as well.

Thanks Vim - good gen.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts

Livigno is outstanding. Highly recommended.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
This is very true. I've not skied in Bulgaria (nor had a summer holiday there) so I cant comment on prices. My ski holidays have been to the likes of Meribel so bound to be cheaper for the champs. Just pricing up my new years ski holiday now (with 2 ski expeds already next year I cant justify champs this year sadly). Any recommendations? Needs to have a good ski school for my las - though he will soon be a much better skier than me!

I'm lucky in that I've been able to ski all over the world. But for a cheap decent ski holiday with the kids with excellent ski schools, you can do no better than Andorra. Pas De La Casa is great for the singlies with an outstanding apres-ski (think Club 18-30 in the moutains) but Soldeu is great. The apres-ski isn't as intense as Pas but the ski-ing is far better and the ski schools mostly have British and Aussie instructors. Plus it's Duty Free so it's dirt cheap. Recommended.

RAF Bird

Stacker *********
I'm lucky in that I've been able to ski all over the world. But for a cheap decent ski holiday with the kids with excellent ski schools, you can do no better than Andorra. Pas De La Casa is great for the singlies with an outstanding apres-ski (think Club 18-30 in the moutains) but Soldeu is great. The apres-ski isn't as intense as Pas but the ski-ing is far better and the ski schools mostly have British and Aussie instructors. Plus it's Duty Free so it's dirt cheap. Recommended.

Thank you - that's brilliant. I've only been skiing for a few years myself but the whole family absolutely love it, especially my son. Wish I'd of had these opportunities as a kid. :)

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts

25 of us did Bulgaria in 1997 back when Borovets was like a corrugated shanty town and you paid for the coke but the vodka was free...I slipped over in a public bog on the slopes and got covered in human sh1t and p1ss...the night terrors have reduced now but not the p1ss taking from my friends who were there to witness it.

I sh1t myself in a very busy bar in Soldeu...luckily for me my fellow ski buddies ensured no one else in the bar missed this incident leading to the longest and most eye watering walk of shame I've ever had to endure...tw@ts.

Warwick Hunt

Persona Non-Grata
1000+ Posts
25 of us did Bulgaria in 1997 back when Borovets was like a corrugated shanty town and you paid for the coke but the vodka was free...I slipped over in a public bog on the slopes and got covered in human sh1t and p1ss...the night terrors have reduced now but not the p1ss taking from my friends who were there to witness it.

I sh1t myself in a very busy bar in Soldeu...luckily for me my fellow ski buddies ensured no one else in the bar missed this incident leading to the longest and most eye watering walk of shame I've ever had to endure...tw@ts.

You don't have much luck with toilets and other lavatorial-based activities do you? I am beginning to sense a theme......