• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Raf Regiment Training Increased?

W

waddokid

Hey Guys......i've heard that raf regiment training has increased from 22 weeks to 29 weeks, is this true?

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
No and yes

No and yes

No: The basic TG cse is still 21/22 weeks long.

Yes: You then do the Field Gnr Cse after some leave 7/8 weeks.

Hope this clarifies things.

W

waddokid

No: The basic TG cse is still 21/22 weeks long.

Yes: You then do the Field Gnr Cse after some leave 7/8 weeks.

Hope this clarifies things.

What Is The Field Gunners Course? I have heard about it but always thought it was for the special forces support group gunners.

Red-Rock

Sergeant
What Is The Field Gunners Course? I have heard about it but always thought it was for the special forces support group gunners.

The Field Gunners course is basically Phase 3 training. Further weapons and tactics. The course is now integrated into the TG course using the same training team and is completed by all Gunners serving on Field Sqns.

The course comprises GPMG training and ranges and then a 3 week feild firing package that goes from individual CQB ranges up to Sqn minus level tactics.

The changes to the 22 week course have seen the addition of training on the UGL and LMG as well as the Laser Aimer and HMNVS.

I personally think that this was a big mistake. Integrating the course seems in principle like a good idea but having seen how the old course ran, as I was on the last of the old style 9 week courses, and how the new one runs I really don't think that they are passing out the same calibre of Gunner. Less training (by 4 weeks) and the fact that they still generally get treated like basic recruits has lead to the training being massively diluted. This won't show up immediately but will definately show up over the next few years when this new crop of LACs starts filtering onto the Sqns about to go on Ops. We are due 58 of the little darlings on 34 Sqn in january. God help us when we go sunny side next year. I am so glad I will have my mortar..............::p: