• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Recruiting Booklet 1976 Part1

GD on Wheels

Sergeant
I also got one in 1984. It makes me wonder how long they were still being given out for?

Last edited:

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
They wanted me to apply for ATechE but that sounded too much like bulb-changing while stood on a wing in a freezing hangar or flight-line.

I don't remember the brochure but it obviously obviously influenced me to want to be with the A -team.

Out of interest, I wonder what LTechAF (TG3) would look like on today's brochure?

Digzster

Sergeant
They wanted me to apply for ATechE but that sounded too much like bulb-changing while stood on a wing in a freezing hangar or flight-line.

I don't remember the brochure but it obviously obviously influenced me to want to be with the A -team.

Out of interest, I wonder what LTechAF (TG3) would look like on today's brochure?

Probably an empty page with the line - "Apply at your local Job Centre"

Old John

LAC
That bloke with his top off marshalling the herc in "prob Cyprus" done it for me

That was me -aged 21 at TASF Akrotiri in 1975.
It says 'flight line mechanic', but I was a J/T A Tech E (or was I still A Fitt E in those days?)

'Tashyman' posted the picture of me on here 3 years ago.

Known as 'JD' then, and still now.

Last edited:

Tedlooney

Sergeant
I don't remember the booklet but I joined up in '76 so can relate to some of the photos, especially turning up at the station with long hair, platform shoes and massively flared trousers. The first items of uniform we were issued with was a woolly pully and a pair of shoes which we had to wear immediately. Everyone's trousers were now far too long because they were meant to be worn with platforms so we had to tuck them in our socks, we looked a right bunch of be11ends.

Brilliant post by the way J Y!

Last edited:

fourteen2two

Corporal
Not too different to 71 when I joined.
The long hair was gone pretty soon after arriving at Swinderby.
Civviescreplaced with denims grey, Raf shirt and tie,beret and dms boots!
The lovely hairy battledress arrived soon after.
Piccys of the then new Jaguar plus good old Harrier and RAFG.
Brochure did not show 18 man rooms still the norm,even in RAFG at that time,LOA was great though.
My old trade air photog, then air camera fitter, later absorbed into Air Radar with resultant pay rise!
Finished as Eng tech AV .
Still pension is nice.

Phantom93

LAC
Remember going into the RAF Careers Office, and being given that exact brochure different era then!

Last edited: