• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF pensions....ok it's boring again....but one little question?

foxOneFive

Corporal
I like many on here are sitting well on our pensions.
I am fortunate not to have any children? (up for debate?)
Anyway.....My nephew n niece are doing well in their careers. Please can anyone out there convince me to convince them to join the RAF these days?
I like many, have had a monthly income since 40 years old..........What are the pension situations for a young pup joining tomorrow?

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
I like many on here are sitting well on our pensions.
I am fortunate not to have any children? (up for debate?)
Anyway.....My nephew n niece are doing well in their careers. Please can anyone out there convince me to convince them to join the RAF these days?
I like many, have had a monthly income since 40 years old..........What are the pension situations for a young pup joining tomorrow?
Nowhere near as generous as it once was. I wouldn't advise my kids to join up for a career, and thankfully they haven't.

busby1971

Super Moderator
Staff member
1000+ Posts
If they are doing well and happy with their lives then why advise them to join.

The main advantage of joining the RAF is the training and opportunities for those who have potential but might not be fully academic, the lifestyle can be fun, however, it also has some major restrictions and downsides that those on Civi street doesn’t really encounter.

There are easier routes to getting a Government pension these days, the NHS one is quite handy, and there are plenty of non clinical roles with some good career opportunities.