• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF or Royal Navy?

FlyerBike

LAC
Controversial, I know, but help me out here.

Which force do we reckon is best for an exciting and challenging engineering career? I'm torn between being an Aircraft Technician Mechanical with the RAF or either a Marine Engineering Technician or an Air Engineering Technician with the Royal Navy.

What I'm after is real engineering. Getting your hands dirty, machining parts, rebuilding engines and the like. The sort of work where you go off duty and feel like you've made a real difference and used your knowledge, not just changed some oil. (I know that is a big part of it however!) I work as a motorcycle mechanic at the minute and mostly bolt parts on and off all day, the jobs I get real satisfaction from are the ones where I have to use my head and work out the problem and actually repair something.

Which force also offers the best quality of life and opportunity for promotion? I get mixed reviews from different people. My other half is ex-navy and he loved every minute. I also want to travel the world, seems to me like the only traveling you might do in the RAF is getting deployed once in a while, where as on a ship you'd see more?

I'm going to visit my AFCO etc, but obviously I know it might be tricky to test the waters with both services without one knowing that I'm thinking about the other..

Any thoughts welcome!

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Controversial, I know, but help me out here.

Which force do we reckon is best for an exciting and challenging engineering career? I'm torn between being an Aircraft Technician Mechanical with the RAF or either a Marine Engineering Technician or an Air Engineering Technician with the Royal Navy.

What I'm after is real engineering. Getting your hands dirty, machining parts, rebuilding engines and the like. The sort of work where you go off duty and feel like you've made a real difference and used your knowledge, not just changed some oil. (I know that is a big part of it however!) I work as a motorcycle mechanic at the minute and mostly bolt parts on and off all day, the jobs I get real satisfaction from are the ones where I have to use my head and work out the problem and actually repair something.

Which force also offers the best quality of life and opportunity for promotion? I get mixed reviews from different people. My other half is ex-navy and he loved every minute. I also want to travel the world, seems to me like the only traveling you might do in the RAF is getting deployed once in a while, where as on a ship you'd see more?

I'm going to visit my AFCO etc, but obviously I know it might be tricky to test the waters with both services without one knowing that I'm thinking about the other..

Any thoughts welcome!

The RN do better adverts!

It pains me to say it but I I'm not sure why anyone would join to do aircraft work in the RAF now....I'll say no more as I'll be lynched!

DOnt forget to check-out REME. Also look at some trades in the RAF like Gen Tech Workshops / vehicle and mech equipment technician - very diverse trade with lots of hands-dirty engineering.

I'm not sure if the RN still have tiff's, the REME certainly do. There is decent promotion prospects for the switched-on in both.

I'll let you do your own research on the RN, but they do some good and marketable engineering (as a civvy). They are (were last time I looked) desperate for submariners...excellent pay.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
The RN do better adverts!

They are (were last time I looked) desperate for submariners...excellent pay.

They still are...but until you go on a submarine, as nice as the new ones are in comparison to anything the RN has had before, it takes a very particular breed of person to contemplate that life-choice....

Shop around before you walk into the AFCO...if you find yourself short of a qual for a job you really fancy take the time to get it...choose right the first time around and don't go for something that nearly fits the bill!

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
It won't be long before all aircraft engineering training is tri-service and in the case of Lightning II, joint RAF/Navy Squadrons just like Harrier was. Promotion prospects better in the Navy but terms of Service better in the RAF - these days, most "real" engineering is contracted out and for the first 2 years as an AMM, you'll be mainly doing flight servicings. The RAF have more and wide spread bases but if you love Norfolk or the West Country then the Navy would be the best choice.

FlyerBike

LAC
Thanks for the replies guys.

Billy Whizz: What do yo mean when you say the RAF have better terms of service?

There is also the travelling aspect; how likely are you to travel with the RAF? I've heard a lot of people refer to the RAF as being more "9 to 5" than the other forces.

Vim_Fuego: You're absolutely right about qualifications. In order to apply for ATM, last year I taught myself higher maths and resat my GCSE as I'd previously acquired a D at school which would have put me on the unqualified list. I would now be able to apply as qualified, which I'm very pleased about.

A new thing to consider: what with the RN getting two new aircraft carriers; HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales, there's been talks that RAF will also get to serve on these alongside the RN. Do we now how true this is, and to what extent?

gray

Sergeant
Thanks for the replies guys.

Billy Whizz: What do yo mean when you say the RAF have better terms of service?

There is also the travelling aspect; how likely are you to travel with the RAF? I've heard a lot of people refer to the RAF as being more "9 to 5" than the other forces.

Vim_Fuego: You're absolutely right about qualifications. In order to apply for ATM, last year I taught myself higher maths and resat my GCSE as I'd previously acquired a D at school which would have put me on the unqualified list. I would now be able to apply as qualified, which I'm very pleased about.

A new thing to consider: what with the RN getting two new aircraft carriers; HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales, there's been talks that RAF will also get to serve on these alongside the RN. Do we now how true this is, and to what extent?

I got the opportunity to do a part deployment with the Navy for 4+ months, and to tell the truth, if you want travel, the going to sea is the way to do it.... depending on trade. I saw more countries in 4 months than in all my RAF career..

Terms of Service for Navy are, at the moment a little bit worse as they don't have a guaranteed 22yrs engagement, but their speed of promotion makes up for that ! The CPO I work with got promoted years back, but is stuck (aww :) ) but has only been in about half the time I have.

FlyerBike

LAC
I got the opportunity to do a part deployment with the Navy for 4+ months, and to tell the truth, if you want travel, the going to sea is the way to do it.... depending on trade. I saw more countries in 4 months than in all my RAF career..

Terms of Service for Navy are, at the moment a little bit worse as they don't have a guaranteed 22yrs engagement, but their speed of promotion makes up for that ! The CPO I work with got promoted years back, but is stuck (aww :) ) but has only been in about half the time I have.
That sounds brilliant. How did you get on with the living condition in comparison to the RAF base accom? I hear they are put in the same sorts of single man accom like you guys when on shore.

Was there any difference to the type of work you got to do? (I'm assuming you're a techie)

I got the impression that when you sign up to any of the forces, you can opt for full service but there is always a chance you won't get to complete it due to redundancies etc. Does the RAF guarantee that then?

gray

Sergeant
On-Shore accommodation is similar... but only spent 1 night as a junior - Was in an 18 Man Mess on-board on the top bunk of 3... not much space - or privacy ;)

I was onboard to assist the Satcom Maintainer - Comms Tech, or ICT Tech as we are now known !

Billy Whizz

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Under the New Employment Model (when it comes out) you May be able to serve till aged 60 - but all terms of service are linked to promotion so if you don't progress through the ranks you won't be able to serve "full service". More and more, the Armed Forces are becoming Joint in what they do and where they serve, the only difference being which one you choose to join and what rank you are. Promotion in some ie Army, is quick where as the RAF much slower but at the moment, Army terms of service generally stop at 22 years where as the RAF is aged 55 but as I said earlier - under the NEM this will all change!

Keyser Söze

Corporal
Tbh I would nt recommend the RAF aircraft techie route, I would look to join either the RN or REME but only as a "tiff" equivalent, get the qualifications (HNC/D, then BSc) and leave after you've got any return of service sorted. And look for a proper job outside either as a LAE, or similar if you want to remain in aviation maintenance.

Alternatively apply to airlines now on their apprenticeship schemes

FlyerBike

LAC
Thanks guys,

All really helpful.

I've been posting on NavyNet and even they say that RAF's terms of service are better but that Navy could be the best route because they often get to serve on Army and RAF bases when along side anyway and apparently the training will probably be going tri-service eventually.

A lot to think about.. I reckon RAF will be playing a part on the new aircraft carriers coming into service in 2016 anyway..

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
Thanks guys,

All really helpful.

I've been posting on NavyNet and even they say that RAF's terms of service are better but that Navy could be the best route because they often get to serve on Army and RAF bases when along side anyway and apparently the training will probably be going tri-service eventually.

A lot to think about.. I reckon RAF will be playing a part on the new aircraft carriers coming into service in 2016 anyway..

A bit ambitious, don't you think?
:pDT_Xtremez_15:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Thanks guys,

All really helpful.

Isnt it interesting that we're recommending each other?

Ex-Splitter and Proud

Flight Sergeant
That's what the website says! I thought it was quite soon...

I guess that depends on which website you look at.....

UK Gov:
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/royal-navy-aircraft-carrier-ramping-up
"HMS Queen Elizabeth is due to be structurally complete next year. She will begin her sea trials in 2017 before flight trials with the Lightning II jets get underway in 2018."

Industry view:...
http://www.aircraftcarrieralliance.co.uk/en/the-ships/timeline.aspx
2017 - The first aircraft carrier will be handed over to the MoD on behalf of the Royal Navy and the UK Armed Forces
2018 - First fast jet (F-35B) flights from HMS Queen Elizabeth

But that doesn’t take into account any delays in system integration testing, sea trials, pre-delivery inspection issues, concessions, etc of the carrier and that’s before you really get started on the F-35.

Let’s face it, development trials of the F-35 have been dogged by delays already, let alone trying to integrate it with an as yet unused, untried and untested carrier…..