• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Newsletter On Fitness Changes 1st July 2011 - What is changing?

• Thread starter DemDaysAreOvaNow
  • Start date
D

DemDaysAreOvaNow

From email:

"Welcome to the second 2011 edition of the RAF Careers newsletter. Whilst you are waiting for your preferred role to become available it is absolutely essential you keep working on your fitness levels to maximise your chance of getting through the selection process. This is especially important as the fitness requirement is changing from the 1st July 2011. To find out more check out our fitness pages where there are also lots of helpful tips on how to make sure you meet the grade!"

Does anybody know whats changing? I checked the link and the figures have not changed.

I'm struggling as it is to do the 1.5 miles in11.11 min and I haven't tried the bleep test just yet but for me its going to be level 9.10 because I am 24.

I'm worried that the standards will get tougher. I've been steadily going to the gym practicing and training for the past 2-3 months but its only in the last two weeks that I've learned about having the right diet, getting the right running shoes, building up endurance etc etc.
I feel like I'm only just starting to get closer to the target, I'd hate for a whole minute to get shaved off again like in January 2011.

Last edited:

metimmee

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Welcome to our pain :) the revision of levels has been happening since the test came in. It always seemed to coincide with me reaching the next age bracket.

On a positive note, I got past 9.10 as a 40 year old with a BMI that can't be explained away by big bones. The key to the msft is pushing on and having the bottle to really push yourself when you start hurting. When I finished my test I thought I was going to keel over. Of course you need a base fitness and strength in your lower body. Just make sure that when you go running, you always aim to push on a little more and improve.

I haven't heard about any revision, but by the sound of it, carry on as you are, keep working hard and push yourself and you will be fine.

D

DemDaysAreOvaNow

Many thanks for the tips. All this fitness training is a struggle for me but I'll keep trying. Your own story is very encouraging.

MattBombHead

Sergeant
The PRTC fitness levels are increasing. The MSFT isn't changing, but the press ups and sit ups will increase from 50% for your age/ gender to 70% from 1 Jul 11.

The new Levels required are as follows...

Males
Age MSFT Press Ups Sit Ups
15-16 9.03 14 25
17-29 9.10 14 25
30-34 9.04 13 22
35-39 8.09 13 20
40-44 8.03 12 18

Females
Age MSFT Press Ups Sit Ups
15-16 6.07 7 22
17-29 7.02 7 22
30-34 6.08 6 20
35-39 6.04 6 18
40-44 5.08 5 16

Needless to say, failure to complete the Fitness Test on Day 1 of PRTC will still result in your Application being suspended for a minimum of 6 months.

:pDT_Xtremez_14:

Edited to add...

The RAF Recruiting Fitness page has been updated to include the new PRTC Fitness levels.

Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Last edited:
D

DemDaysAreOvaNow

Thanks alot for that info. I'm not worried about the pushups and situps. Just the running part. I can do endurance runs for 40-45mins no problem at a speed of 11 on the treadmill but I struggle with higher speeds for a short time like 11 minutes. I don't know what to do. My test will be next wednesday.

L

lfcrik

I've got my prtc and bleep test on thursday,

You need to look to improve your Vo2 max if your struggling, still got time to work on this, best way is high intensity intervals if you google it theress some really good examples on how to do this, You need to find what works for you, personally My intervals are at 15km/h with a level 6 incline on the tread mill, its basically 1 min short sprints that kill you, and then 1 - 2 mins rest, you need to be pretty disciplined about it but this will help, I also think swimming does as well.

Good luck!

D

DemDaysAreOvaNow

Good luck on your bleep test tomorrow!
I tried the 2.4km run again today and for the first time I nailed it! Got 11.00 minutes so I had 11 seconds to spare. Needless to say I'm pretty happy and thats sure to give me a mental boost when I go for the real thing next week.
I've got some circuit training tomorrow morning. What should I do for the rest of the week before the big test? I've not tried doing treadmill intervals with incline. Maybe I should try that. Is it possible to set the jog/rest speed to have no incline though?

Last edited:

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Treadmills should always be set at 1.5 degrees incline to start in order to simulate level running outside (even that doesn't fully work - running outside will always be harder as you have to push yourself along). Less than 1.5 degrees inlcine though, and you are effectively running downhill.