• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Raf ma

Brackens

SAC
Hi, i have just passed out of Halton and am interested in getting some mountaineering experience under my belt. my question is am i now eligible to join RAFMA and is it worth doing before i have finished the first part of my course at Cosford which i start in April? i was going to email the membership secretary but being a newby i found it too intimidating emailing a Squadron Leader at this early stage in my career!!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Just do it. You'll be fine - he won't bite. You can still attend the odd weekend meet and it won't hurt you to have a pre-declared interest.

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Hi, i have just passed out of Halton and am interested in getting some mountaineering experience under my belt. my question is am i now eligible to join RAFMA and is it worth doing before i have finished the first part of my course at Cosford which i start in April? i was going to email the membership secretary but being a newby i found it too intimidating emailing a Squadron Leader at this early stage in my career!!!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

You'll find you get treated a bit differently 'outside' work mate, even as an AC/LAC.

Just e-mail the Squadron Leader, be polite and you'll be fine! I was a member of the RAF Small Arms Association whilst undergoing trade training at Cosford and it wasn't a problem. You might find difficulty if it interferes with the training programme though.

He's only a person...not some sort of uber-god!

Sospan

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
The people that are running these organisations are only to happy to get new members, like Monty said just be polite and make contact with him. If you are still unsure ask you course mentor or other NCO to browse over your email.

Brackens

SAC
Ok will do thanks guys, i'm off at the moment so will draft an email and get one of the cpl's to check it when i get back. Thanks for the help.

Brackens

SAC
Ok i sent an email off, anyone else on here that can give me any info (apart from whats on the website) about what opportunities are available for similar adventure training clubs? really want to take advantage of everything going!!

G

gemarriott

It used to be quite an adventure to stand naked inside the entrance hall of the WRAF block and yell that you were a cherry boy:pDT_Xtremez_42:

MontyPlumbs

Squadron Cock
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Ok i sent an email off, anyone else on here that can give me any info (apart from whats on the website) about what opportunities are available for similar adventure training clubs? really want to take advantage of everything going!!

Have you been down the PeD section and spoken to the PTIs? Anyone who shows interest in such things is usually welcomed. Don't expect to get lots of time off for it though......

hubfail

LAC
Brackens,

I've been a member of RAFMA since I was an LAC, although I've not been able to attend many of the weekend meets (other secondary duties!) I try to attend the Summer Week every year (only missed one in 6 years due to OOA and probably going to miss this year for the same reason!!)

You are more than welcome as an AC/LAC, the more the merrier seems to be RAFMA's policy! You'll rub shoulders with Air Commodores and not even realise it, so no need to be rank shy!

The next New Members' Meet is 16/17 April at Blakedean Scout Hostel in Lancashire - You might not be in a position to attend much whilst you go through Phase 2 trg, however you might get the weekend free! What trade are you going for?

If you still feel a little intimidated by contacting a Sqn Ldr, we have an airmans' rep; currently a Cpl on same unit as me, I can put you in touch if you like?! Feel free to PM me.

Also, have a look at http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafmountaineering/ for more info.

Regards, and hope to bump into you on the rock :pDT_Xtremez_30:

hubfail

Brackens

SAC
Thanks very much for all the info. had an email off both the squadron leader and the airmen's rep today and am sending my application this week if i can get it printed off,

Thanks again for all the help guys :pDT_Xtremez_30: