• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Germany Band

S

Swinepipe

It is a long time since 1985 and the tragic coach crash in Germany. I remember so many friends lost that day. I recall the adventures of being a young musician at Rheindahlen in 1970 and making friends, some of who joined me later in the Central Band at Uxbridge. I still see the faces, frozen in their 30's, although I look in the mirror now and see only an old man. I hate that they have missed so much that I have been lucky enough to do. Their nicknames, so much a part of their characters. "Quackers, Wink, Treacle and Jonpeti......we had so many laughs. Still Resting.

Oldstacker

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Although I was a stacker I also remember it well. I was at Locking at the time and the Western Band were based there - the numb, blank faces were everywhere around the camp as the names of the dead were almost all well known to somebody. Several of the families came back to Locking to be housed temporarily in quarters.... that was when the RAF looked after its own properly. My wife befriended a couple of the widows and we still get a Christmas card from one of them to this day.

RIP guys, still not forgotten.

dkh51250

Sergeant
R.I.P. Gordon Harrison one of my neighbours at Catterick who had already suffered tragedy in his life.

Irritant.

LAC
Being based in Germany at the time, the incident was a big shock to us all.
May all of the bandsmen involved RIP along with Cpl George Crawford RAFP, who also died on that dark day.

Bren

LAC
George was a great rugby player. Front row of the RAF rugby team were all RAFP in 1983. He also played for Newark when at Newton.

RIP mate.

Bob_E

LAC
George Crawford

George Crawford

George took my place on that job. I still have nightmares sometimes. I had one last week which is how I ended up here.

RIP George.