• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF fitness advise

I am feeling its time to kick it up a gear on the fitness front (while I wait on Capita to sort out my medical). I can run the 1.5 miles in 10:30 and do press ups and sit ups required. However I just feel its not enough and I want to make sure I am in tip top condition ready for Halton (I'm keeping positive).

So I'm thinking I need to start running in the morning (easier said than done but I really need to just get up and get out) before work, then in the evening do something like Insanity as a overall body fitness work out.

Is there a rough distance I should aim for on longer jogs? Do they tend to time longer jogs at Halton?

If anybody has any tips or advise around fitness (or Halton in general) please share.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
You need aim for no more than 20m - and fast. The 1.5 mile is a piece of cake for most people - work on the beep test. You can download it form the RAF Recruitment website, as well as gauge your required level.

Out of all the recruit rejections, the vast, vast majority are for poor fitness, so well recognised - just make sure you can sprint.

You need aim for no more than 20m - and fast. The 1.5 mile is a piece of cake for most people - work on the beep test. You can download it form the RAF Recruitment website, as well as gauge your required level.

Out of all the recruit rejections, the vast, vast majority are for poor fitness, so well recognised - just make sure you can sprint.

Thanks Stevie, sorry should have mentioned I have been factoring the beep test in twice a week and managed to get to level 10 on the last go, but really want to aim for mid 10s or 11 (if I can). I have just been practising down at the local park on the foot pitch (while the little ones play in the park, 2 birds one stone ;) ).

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
How old are you? What's your target level?

Make sure you can comfortably exceed the threshhold - many people freak out in a collective test environment and end up racing everyone else, then burst and blow it.

How old are you? What's your target level?

Make sure you can comfortably exceed the threshhold - many people freak out in a collective test environment and end up racing everyone else, then burst and blow it.

I'm 28, target levels are 1.5 miles in 11:11, 20 press ups and 35 sit ups (1 minute each) and 9.10 in the beep test.

Press ups need some work if I'm honest (I can pass but its only between 5-10 more, but can do them in about 35 seconds) and sit ups about 41 in the minute so definitely some work needed there. I know where your coming from with the bleep test but I sure as hell wont be pacing ahead with the eager beavers, I'll making sure I keep with the pack but not a front runner (in fear of burn out). I'm past the stage where I think I'll be top of the fitness tree but I'm sure as hell not going to be bottom or I am training so I will not be anyway!

I wonder if the collective test environment is what catches most out then when it comes to fails at Halton, or do people go there not knowing what to expect, just seems strange people would go there and cant do press ups or sit ups (when you know this is a key part of the test).

Max Reheat

Resident Drunk
1000+ Posts
Circuits are good for the RAFFT I found. Gives you that explosive power for the turns which is where a few people struggle

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
I wonder if the collective test environment is what catches most out then when it comes to fails at Halton,

Nope. Kids cuff it and either assume that they're fit because they're not fat, or just reason that it isn't that important. Ppl dont run fast any more - or do much. We get a huge amount of failures in the Reserves (same expectations) from the 20 somethings because they've been idle for years and are just too dumb to realise they're unfit - girls especally.

The test environment affects everyone, even those who have been doing it for years IMHO

Nope. Kids cuff it and either assume that they're fit because they're not fat, or just reason that it isn't that important. Ppl dont run fast any more - or do much. We get a huge amount of failures in the Reserves (same expectations) from the 20 somethings because they've been idle for years and are just too dumb to realise they're unfit - girls especally.

The test environment affects everyone, even those who have been doing it for years IMHO

Ah OK fair point, I used to be one of those plus about 4 stone and serious lack of motivation. But I have a serious determination to join the RAF (and be able to run around after my kids without keeling over) so I shed the lbs and sorted it out, still room for improvement though.

I get the test environment bit whether its fitness or otherwise.

On my AST I was surprised that some of the people didn't know about the fitness or general steps of applying etc. I for one would have thought if you want it to be your career you do everything in your power to make it happen.

Circuits are good for the RAFFT I found. Gives you that explosive power for the turns which is where a few people struggle

Yeah it really helped when I used to play 5 a side footie that supplemented by some Insanity (HIIT/circuits) on off days. Just need to start it again and really crack on with it. cheers.

Spearmint

Ex-Harrier Mafia Member
1000+ Posts
Yeah it really helped when I used to play 5 a side footie that supplemented by some Insanity (HIIT/circuits) on off days. Just need to start it again and really crack on with it. cheers.

Same here. A good couple of circuit sessions a week, the odd run and all over weights sessions. You need a good set of quads on you for stopping on the beep test, and a good set of glutes for getting back up to speed.

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I think an important point to note is that fitness is not just for training anymore...there was a time in the not too distant past when people audiably sighed in relief when their trainng course/professional traninig completed as it meant you could hang up your daps for a couple of years and get on witht he serious business of ale and tabs.

No more is that the case...when you sign on you sign up to staying fit enough to pass the fitness test and annual medical until you are old and wrinkly...Year in year out the test must be taken. This means that pretty much day in day out your lifestyle must support that commitment and it will only get harder as the RAF move goalposts and your body starts to tire.

So I guess in summary ask yourself this question...'Am I dedicated enough to not only pass the entrance tests but to remain at a level of fitness that gets me through annual tests even if it means sacrificing time with the family/pub/local purveyor of kebabs for the rest of my natural?'

I think an important point to note is that fitness is not just for training anymore...there was a time in the not too distant past when people audiably sighed in relief when their trainng course/professional traninig completed as it meant you could hang up your daps for a couple of years and get on witht he serious business of ale and tabs.

No more is that the case...when you sign on you sign up to staying fit enough to pass the fitness test and annual medical until you are old and wrinkly...Year in year out the test must be taken. This means that pretty much day in day out your lifestyle must support that commitment and it will only get harder as the RAF move goalposts and your body starts to tire.

So I guess in summary ask yourself this question...'Am I dedicated enough to not only pass the entrance tests but to remain at a level of fitness that gets me through annual tests even if it means sacrificing time with the family/pub/local purveyor of kebabs for the rest of my natural?'

Yeah definitely, 30-mins to an hour (maybe more) a day of exercise is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Plus you then have the knock on of being fit and healthy which can only help in terms of being able to work harder and being more alert while at work. Then the added bonuses of being able to then spend more time with the family doing more active things and also should hopefully mean being able to spend more time with them in the long run, plus it means trips to the pub and local 'fine dinning' eateries will not reflect on the gut as they probably would have a few year back in my less active days.
I used to play football twice a week and also jog/circuits between (before applying), I actually quite enjoy a gym session or a jog round the local field so now that I'm fitter (as opposed to fatter) I don't plan on letting it slip any time soon.

Joe_90

Flight Sergeant
1000+ Posts
Interval training is good for the fitness test. If you're a member of the gym thirty minutes on the cross trainer, one minute balls out the next fairly relaxed to get your breath back. You could split it between the bike and rower as well if you want, ten minutes on each.

Alternatively just do it as part of your run, a minute running followed by a minute jogging.

The good and bad thing about this type of training is the fact it never feels any easier. You're always working to your max and it always feels like you're going to lose a lung. It works though and is a great way to increase cardio capacity.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Entropy

Sergeant
If you want to run then I would recommend fartleks or regular interval runs There is plenty of advice out there and some running apps have these type sessions available.

Interval training is good for the fitness test. If you're a member of the gym thirty minutes on the cross trainer, one minute balls out the next fairly relaxed to get your breath back. You could split it between the bike and rower as well if you want, ten minutes on each.

Alternatively just do it as part of your run, a minute running followed by a minute jogging.

The good and bad thing about this type of training is the fact it never feels any easier. You're always working to your max and it always feels like you're going to lose a lung. It works though and is a great way to increase cardio capacity.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Cheers Joe I'll give that a go, I did Insanity Max Strength last night and if you want a 30 minute ass kicking give it a go it wont disappoint! I plan to do that 2/3 times a week coupled with 3 mile jogs (1.5 miles as fast as I can 1.5 job back) as well as beep text practice and the Max Power Insanity which works on reflexes and gaining power through your legs so fingers crossed this should keep me in good stead for the fitness tests if/when they come.

If you want to run then I would recommend fartleks or regular interval runs There is plenty of advice out there and some running apps have these type sessions available.

thanks Entropy my father in law mentioned fartleks as he used to do them when he was younger to improve his pace etc might have a look out for one of those apps and give it a go while I'm out on a jog, cheers!