• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Driver - what to expect

daws

LAC
Afternoon everyone,

Just wondering if theres anyone here who's a driver for the RAF, and if you could answer some questions for me.

I have been looking at the role of RAF driver. However, I can't find much information about what it's actually like to be a driver in the RAF

• What is involved in being a driver? I imagine its driving equipment from base to bases, but is there more to it? what else would you do as a driver?
  • what sort of vehicles do you drive? i know they will train you to get all your licences.
  • is it a lot of overseas work, or is it mainly in the UK? - How much of your time so far has been overseas, and where overseas have you been?

thanks in advance

Last edited:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Not a driver but I've been a recipient of their services on many occaissions so here's what I've seen them do...

Drive a fuel bowser to refuel an aircraft...a techie does the refuel but generally he's not licensed to drive the tanker.

Drive me from the base to a civvy airport to catch a flight..normally in a civvy hire car.

Drive a bus with a crew on it from ops out to the aircraft and back to,ops after the mission.

Drive de-icing tankers out to aircraft. Again techies do the de-icing bit.

Drive runway clearance vehicles when it snows.

Drive the station commanders car.

Drive 4 tonners around picking up and dropping off either around camp or between camps...I think most regular delivery stuff is done by civvy s but I wait to be corrected.

Drive scissor trucks out to aircraft to get cargo off/put it on.

Drive aircraft tugs to tow aircraft around or put them in hangars.

Drive the med centre ambulance when it's needed.

Sit behind MT control signing vehicle keys in and out to people and phoning sections who have forgotten to DI their section vehicles.

Can't think of anymore!

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
You could also end up being on 2MT Sqn, who are responsible for transporting bulk items across Europe - they drive HGVs.

The trade is diverse - in a week you could go from taxi driver to chauffer to coach driver to lorry driver. Of course, should you decide after a few years that it isn't for you, you will have a bucket-load of driving qualifications that will give you access to as much driving work as you want.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
You will pick up a lot of qualifications, that is for sure. To become an SAC you MUST have qualified Cat C+E and Cat D, so Artic and Coaches. It is 2MT who primarily do the more exotic work, though neither they nor anyone else will drive nearly as much as a civilian driver. You will also need to do more courses though as for every license, there is a military modification course stipulated by the lowest intellectual common denominator - the Army. So to drive a Landrover, there is a 30 minute GS Mod 1 course which is crammed into 5 days, but should include off road driving for instance.

It's moving more and more away from the usual crew taxi service and more into refuelling, long haul, spec vehicles - though in the early days it tends to be a lot of minibus and car work (technically, you cannot work unsupervised until you are an SAC so it's kept simple).

daws

LAC
thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like the role of "driver" is VERY varied then.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]muttywhitedog, you mentioned that if i decide its not for me i will have a load of driving qualifications for other jobs... are you referring to leaving the RAF and doing driving jobs as a civilian, or do you mean going to a different role within the RAF?
[/FONT]
which brings me on to my next question; Once you learn a trade in the RAF, can you learn a new trade further down the line if you wanted a change, or if you feel like the trade you are doing isn't for you?

For example, if I join the RAF and do the driving training, and 2 years down the line i feel like I want to be a RAF Photographer, or RAF Police Dog Handler, will i be allowed to re-train and go into that trade instead? (I'm asking this as Photographer and Police are 2 other roles i am interested in, but do not currently have the right qualifications to go for those role now)

Thanks again everyone.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
generally, no. There's no re-trading because you don't like it as an advertised option after training has been completed. Not unless it's an upwards shift - like NCO Aircrew, NCO Air Traffic or Commissioned. They anecdotally used to promise this in the careers office but the AFCO's are not allowed to do this any more. If you biff it in phase 2 training it can be an option depending on your AST scores.

If you don't know what you might like to do, I could suggest you try the Reserves as a driver and see how you get on. Transfer into the regulars in the same or into a different trade is not unusual. I have seen both achieved.

daws

LAC
generally, no. There's no re-trading because you don't like it as an advertised option after training has been completed. Not unless it's an upwards shift - like NCO Aircrew, NCO Air Traffic or Commissioned. They anecdotally used to promise this in the careers office but the AFCO's are not allowed to do this any more. If you biff it in phase 2 training it can be an option depending on your AST scores.

If you don't know what you might like to do, I could suggest you try the Reserves as a driver and see how you get on. Transfer into the regulars in the same or into a different trade is not unusual. I have seen both achieved.

thanks for the reply Stevie, very useful information.

daws

LAC
Upon the advise given above, I have checked out the reserves section of the Recruitment website and found that the RAF base nearest to my house is recruiting for drivers. This is a very tempting option, before I join as a full regular.

Unfortunately this brings up some more questions (hope you all don't mind all these questions!)

• Do reserves get to partake in the adventurous activities such as skiing/ mountain biking/ mountain climbing etc. just like the regulars do?
  • Can reserves join the RAF sports clubs too?
  • Can the reserves earn qualifications
  • Does anyone know what the process is if you want to convert from reserves to regular? Do you go through all the application process and training at RAF Halton as if you was a fresh recruit, or do you skip some of this as your already done training as a reserve?

Thanks for all the advice, Much appreciated.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
  • Do reserves get to partake in the adventurous activities such as skiing/ mountain biking/ mountain climbing etc. just like the regulars do?
Yes, proving you are up to date on fitness and CCS and after Phase 1 basic has been completed.

• Can reserves join the RAF sports clubs too?
Yes

• Can the reserves earn qualifications
Exactly the same as Regulars - its stipulated

• Does anyone know what the process is if you want to convert from reserves to regular? Do you go through all the application process and training at RAF Halton as if you was a fresh recruit, or do you skip some of this as your already done training as a reserve?
This is going to sound odd, because I've seen it done, but you can carry over your Phase 2 (Driver) training, but the Phase 1 people are little more....difficult about the whole process. Essentially, you have to do 10 weeks Basic over again, but not the lengthier Phase 2. If you're an SAC in the Reserves, you'll end up going in as an LAC as well - I don't know why either but I think it's because they just don't like the idea.

This may change should common sense ever prevail, but they are not the most forward looking at Halton.

Last edited:

daws

LAC
Thanks again Stevie, very useful information. I think the Reserves might be the best option for me initially.

That does sound odd yes, but I guess it's understandable for them to want every regular to do 10 weeks basic training.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Give it a shot. If you need any details of personalities to talk to in Reserves Recruitment, DM me and I'll point you in the right direction

muttywhitedog

Retired Rock Star 5.5.14
1000+ Posts
thanks for the replies everyone. Seems like the role of "driver" is VERY varied then.

[FONT=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]muttywhitedog, you mentioned that if i decide its not for me i will have a load of driving qualifications for other jobs... are you referring to leaving the RAF and doing driving jobs as a civilian, or do you mean going to a different role within the RAF?
[/FONT]

My last job in the RAF was the HR Manager for 2MT Sqn. During the 2012 tanker driver dispute, the military drivers were trained up to deliver fuel to petrol stations across the UK. At the end of their training, a good few were offered permanent jobs with the fuel companies on £35,000 a year basic.

In fact, I was so impressed by the amount of work being offered to HGV drivers that I used my resettlement to gain all my licences, and was in a driving job two days after I left the RAF. I regularly decline driving jobs because I'm too busy!

Mag2grid

Corporal
This is going to sound odd, because I've seen it done, but you can carry over your Phase 2 (Driver) training, but the Phase 1 people are little more....difficult about the whole process. Essentially, you have to do 10 weeks Basic over again, but not the lengthier Phase 2. If you're an SAC in the Reserves, you'll end up going in as an LAC as well - I don't know why either but I think it's because they just don't like the idea.

This may change should common sense ever prevail, but they are not the most forward looking at Halton.

from recent experience they are now asking for full phase 1 and also phase 2, nothing carries over (from a Flt Ops role). Might be different for Logs types trades, but as Op's can't go in the tower as a reservist it makes sense why they won't take the Auggies phase 2 as training....even though it's covered in the syllabus.

daws

LAC
Hello all,

just adding another question to my thread.

Does anyone know how long the application process takes for the Reserves?
More specifically, once I apply to join the RAF reserves, how long will it take before i do the fitness tests, and how long till i actually join the RAF reserves?

Reason for these questions is I want to make sure I am 100% ready fitness wise, so if my fitness is 2 weeks after applying then i wont apply yet. But if the fitness test is a few months down the line then I could apply now.

I need/want to improve on everything to be honest, but press up's isn't really an issue and sit-ups I'm not far off. The main thing is getting my 2.5km time down. And potentially getting my BMI down a little bit (my BMI is within the requirements but its at the high end of the pass mark so would like to bring it down a bit to be safe).

Thanks again for all the advice, much appreciated.

Stevienics

Warrant Officer
1000+ Posts
Hi

It can take a few weeks to a few months. reason is that Phase 1 training comes in start and finish time which are timed to coincide with an entry date to the 16 days continuous training at Halton, at the end of the 3 month induction. the initial 3 month induction on unit is commenced after a group has been assembled following attestation - you'll stay with them throughout your phase 1.

Attestation can only be achieved after all the education, administrative and medical criteria have been fulfilled and you do this at an individual level. However, on day one on your first weekend after that, you'll be required to start the fitness testing. You'll get other go's if you fail on the subsequent 2 weekends, but you CANNOT go to Halton and complete your phase 1 without having passed it. There are no exceptions.

It's the beep test by the way. The distance test dropped out a while ago.

daws

LAC
thank you for the swift reply.

I guess it would be best to get my fitness to the required level before applying then. I like to be 100% certain before i do something, so I will make sure I am more than capable of passing the fitness tests.

Ah, I didn't realise the 2.5k run had been dropped, thanks, I will do some bleep test practice then.

Many thanks for the advice yet again.