• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Currency

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Off Topic 'nother hardship tour then Tommo?

Off Topic
I only go where I'm sent, you know that. And that's 2 pops you've had this evening!! Fair play, 4 months in Palermo, earning a medal, was fantastic. I am off to the Falklands in 2 weeks if it makes you feel better. Off Topic

Boarderlyne

Sergeant
On marriage and moving out of effing expensive rental to SFA, I blagged a Luton for a few days. Expected cost was 'don't break it!'. The look on the faces of the MT wannabes when 2 slabs of beer rocked up was worth saving me £400 for a rental Luton. That also saved me loads of grief when the Boss was given lastminute.com jobs and I had to get him a wagon. People always marvelled at the fact that I could blag almost anything with minimal notice. Slabs are the official currency of the Forces and long may it continue.

A loadie noticed my bike on his way to 27sqn came in and asked if he could borrow it for a triathlon he was doing that day but had no bike, when he brought it back he had some beers for me for the loan. Never did understand how he was going to race without a bike though.

Mustang

Corporal
RAF Currency

MPA late eighties, for my sins I had to slum it with the Stacker and the Movers, (only joking theyre actually OK) but I did get a large supply of the AA batteries which came in handy when bartering for other goodies. Also a mate of mine worked in ration stores. I thought I died and gone to heaven.:pDT_Xtremez_30: Apart from that the slab has always worked wonders.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

Bribery and curruption work!:pDT_Xtremez_15:

vim_fuego

Hung Like a Baboon.
Staff member
Administrator
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
I've just had a whole bunch of machining done by flying clothing (I would have said sewing but machining sounds more manly) which saved me going via the tailors and the associated nause...cost was a contribution to their biscuit fund...good to see it still works after my break in the RAF wilderness...:pDT_Xtremez_14:

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

similar to Vim this:

- us Zobs have to get a metre of rank braid made up into rank slides. When first promoted to Flt Lt, I was an OC GEF so my painters sorted the sewing to turn 1m of rank braid into several rank slides. Costs waived as I was the boss ;-)

Later on at Brize, I needed some more rank slides to replace tired and tatty ones. Acquired 1m of braid from stores, walked it 5 steps next door to the squippers, and for the princely sum of 2 packets of the NAAFIs finest Jaffa Cakes, I had some superb quality rank slides.

I think this currency continues to this day - even in civillian-run sections.

C

Comms_Lad

Yep lovely lady in graphics earnt herself a nice box of roses the other week for doing a load of Nick Lock appeal posters on short notice just in time for AOC's. She was surprised when I walked in the next morning with the choccys.

S

scaleywife

I asked CL to fix my boys computer.... he could have had beer in payment but the big girls blouse demanded cold hard cash....lol!!

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
I asked CL to fix my boys computer.... he could have had beer in payment but the big girls blouse demanded cold hard cash....lol!!

Of course I don't know how much he charged but I bet he'll spend it on booze and will actually get less for his dosh than if you'd have supplied it. Am I right? :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Scaley brat

Trekkie Nerd
1000+ Posts
Battery bay here did a "get me home" to my bikes battery a couple of years ago, 1 packet of Jaffa cakes for the tea bar. I offered cash, they said they couldn't take it.

Mid 80's at Saints, we used to do puncture repairs for 50p a throw, all monies into the Christmas pi$$ up fund.

S

scaleywife

Of course I don't know how much he charged but I bet he'll spend it on booze and will actually get less for his dosh than if you'd have supplied it. Am I right? :pDT_Xtremez_15:

Off Topic Probably correct as I still buy as if I am in BFG..... Many a BBQ host has looked at me in wonderment as I pitch up with a case and drinks for the ladies!!

C

Comms_Lad

I shall set the record straight, it was £20 for a systems test followed by a motherboard swap out (only charged if it worked which it did of course) and all i did was walk from scaleywifes house to my car with the nice new shiney £20 note and the missus took it out of my hands before I could spend it on beer.

p.s. I asked for cold hard cash cos I have enough booze at the moment and need the money for my own pc upgrades

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
I shall set the record straight, it was £20 for a systems test followed by a motherboard swap out (only charged if it worked which it did of course) and all i did was walk from scaleywifes house to my car with the nice new shiney £20 note and the missus took it out of my hands before I could spend it on beer.

p.s. I asked for cold hard cash cos I have enough booze at the moment and need the money for my own pc upgrades

Impossible I'm afraid me old, you need to drink faster and for longer!!:pDT_Xtremez_34:

T

TheHogwartsBEngO

When I was OC GEF I sometimes got aircrew bouncing into my office with a small crate of beer saying "Hi BEngO, this is for the lads" and accompanied by a very nice letter saying thanks to the airmen on call for the RHAG and barrier who sorted out their car battery after hours.

It was because of things like this that the flight were always happy to go out of their way to help people.