• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF Currency

roverboy

Trekkie Nerd
Remember the days when you could get jobs done for beer? Well the spirit is still alive. I've just been to GEF who are making me up a 6 foot long battery cable for my Marina, I mean Kit Car. The cost? A packet of chocolate hobnobs. A couple of weekends ago, someone from Warton (who I didn't know) couriered a radiator for the same project from Blackpool to Coningsby. The cost? A slab of Boddingtons. The Structures Bay managed to repair my clutch release fork and the lovely lads at MT are constantly supplying me with nuts and bolts, cost yet to be decided.

What favours have Goaters had in the past and what did it cost them?

Last edited:

penfold93

Rex Craymer Man of Danger
Staff member
Subscriber
Wifey and friend were out in car when it got a flat. Rather that break a nail they drove to my work to get me to change it. However some young Rock leapt to their aid and changed the tyre no probs.

I managed to track him down to his parent unit (in Bonnie Scotland) and bought him a load a beer. The look on his face was funny especially when i told him I had travelled all the way just to give him the beer.

(Gullible Rock)

Still use food and drink as currency unfortunately in these penny pinching times seems like less and less places are accepting it.

tourettes

Corporal
When I moved into my own gaff I "borrowed" a panel van for two days to move my goods & chattels, the cost was a slab of boddies. Never mind what every one else says the MT lads are a good bunch.

T

The Masked Geek

Barrels of beer shipped out on the back of a 3* to the RAF bar in the Florio Park Hotel. Cost: I'd assume beer.

wolfy

Warrant Officer
When I was in the Falklands many moons ago, the currency was AA batteries, Decent Tea or Coffee especially when the supply ships were late. At one point a large amount of batteries went missing the place nearly came to a standstill.

Leapoffaith

smokin the c0ck
The 'Slab' is a recognised unit of currency throughout the UK armed forces world and long should it remain. New blood coming through should be educated to that fact

Y

Yossarian

I was stood on the gate at Wyton many years ago and saw a Civvy lady pull in to the car park by the water tower (300 metres or so from the gate car park) then walk on to the unit.
When I asked her why she'd parked there of all places, she said she had a flat tyre and didn't want to drive it any further. She was going to call out a local garage to change it as she didn't know how.

I told her to give me the keys and I changed her tyre in my tea break.

Next morning I had 8 cans of boddies and a bottle of vino for the wife dropped at the gate for me.

Alcohol. It is the forces default currency. As LoF says, bigger jobs require a slab or multiples thereof by default.
How many times have you heard the phrase "How many slabs you want for helping me out?"

I suppose biscuits suffice for tiny favours. :pDT_Xtremez_40:

3Chordwonder

A set of MX-3 headlights, purchased for me by my friend at Akrotiri, then sent via the supply system to the UK.

Cost of headlights £120 (Mazda UK dealer quoted me £600 !!!!!!)
Cost of "shipping" 1x slab of Keo.

K

Kernow

When I was out in FI, it cost me 2 slabs and a night of babysitting when I got back for the missus to be able to send large parcels out via the movers rather than BFPO.

The currency when I was out there was tickets to the various bars. Every man and his whippet was after tickets to Timmys, The Lott, Queen Vic etc.

tommo9999

Higher Pay Band Shiney
Barrels of beer shipped out on the back of a 3* to the RAF bar in the Florio Park Hotel. Cost: I'd assume beer.

Yeah, used to arrive every tuesday on the herc!! Wadworth 6X, IPA and another one I can't remember. It was great having a Lyneham mover based at Palermo with us.

mad_collie

The Other Mods Made Me Do It
I fix peoples pooters for them, but never ask for payment in beer or vino.

It's better to have a 'favour owed' in the back pocket.

rhino

LAC
slabs of beer

slabs of beer

In the mid 80's in the Falklands...Kellys Garden to be exact. Cases of beer were used to swap for food (cheese etc) from the ships passing by the bay and escpecially for payment for cockups, mainly burying (in peat) or breaking/sinking losing or even stealing vehicles from Stanley. It cost me many many cases of beer to recover my vehicular disasters

MattBombHead

Sergeant
When on Squadrons, the Squippers have always been only too happy yo sew badges and patches on for the princley sum of a pack of hob nobs/ jaffa cakes or borbon creams!!

Slightly larger jobs (gloves/ socks etc) inevitably required some cans to be added to the equation

As has been said before, LONG MAY IT CONTINUE!!!

FOMz

Warrant Officer
Got to admit, my usual wheeling and dealing all involves slabs, in one shape or form. It amazing what you can get off the spams for an illicit british beer or 24.

S

scaleywife

Almost all my babysitters are paid in pizza, wine and as many DVDs as you can watch before we roll through the door!! Either that or favours in the bank...

The only problem with this system is that I really don't know what a 'real' babysitter costs anymore!

Last edited: