• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Raf avioincs & ict tech

D

Daya1

AVIONICS TECH AND ICT TECH RAF

Hi,

I was wondering if somebody could give me some useful advice on the following.

I am currently looking at the ICT tech and AVIONICS tech. Both these jobs are appealing to me and i will be successful in both trades. My concern is i do not no which one to go for as there is a lack of info on the topics.

Could you please give me advice on the avionics side. Is this role worth getting into in terms of experience and promotion. (does ICT promote faster). ?

Which job role offers more satisfaction, travel and a wider choice within the trade.?

Please give me your honest answer if you have any experience or knowledge into both this tech roles.

I WOULD LIKE VIEWS FROM PEOPLE IN SERVICE, OVERALL I KNOW ITS MY CHOICE BUT TO HAVE SOME FEED BACK ON PROS AND CONS WOULD BE MUCH HELP.

Thanks

T

The Masked Geek

I joined in 1992 as an L Tech TC (DE). This was the 90s version of an ICT Tech, back in the days when the only difference between ICT and AV was the equipments courses tagged on to the end of the 18 month training course.

Having gone through retrading and multiskilling in the mid 90s I became an Eng Tech EL but I was still a techie.

Then the RAF did something very stupid: It amalgamated the ground technical trade with the trade that operated the kit we fixed. This would be like making pilots fix their own aircraft and making the aircraft techs fly them.....

Because of the dilution in technical skills, ICT Tech is not a trade that I would choose to join and, given that I had the scores to join the aircraft world, I would probably go AV given my time again. To be fair, I don't even think the ICT trade deserves the "tech" badge.

Having said all that, you should consider the admin trade. No responsibility, faster promotion and the same level of pay.

Soon To Leave

Proud To Serve
Having said all that, you should consider the admin trade. No responsibility, faster promotion and the same level of pay.

Pace of promotion is linked to the throughput of manpower and I think this will slow down for the adminers who will now find it more difficult to match their undeserved techie pay on the outside.

Technical trades are finding it easier to match and surpass what they earn now on civvy street and are leaving in droves therefore expect promotions to start picking up by the time you've gone through training.

As an ICT Tech, I couldn't sell the trade as a career. The dumbing down of training has resulted in a technician being multiskilled but at a very low level. Account administration,Box changing, pc imaging and jammed printers are the IT levels required. On the electronics side, again box changing and repetitive servicing. Afghanistan is a regular deployment for most.
Promotions have picked up in the last 5 yrs but we are still "sticky" at middlemanagement as the old dinosaurs refuse to move on....and I'm one..
Travelling the world is much more varied as an aircraft Tech - where the planes go, the groundcrew may follow.??

Barch

Grim Reaper 2016
1000+ Posts
As an ICT Tech, I couldn't sell the trade as a career. The dumbing down of training has resulted in a technician being multiskilled but at a very low level. Account administration,Box changing, pc imaging and jammed printers are the IT levels required. On the electronics side, again box changing and repetitive servicing. Afghanistan is a regular deployment for most.
Promotions have picked up in the last 5 yrs but we are still "sticky" at middlemanagement as the old dinosaurs refuse to move on....and I'm one..
Travelling the world is much more varied as an aircraft Tech - where the planes go, the groundcrew may follow.??
Unless it is a fast jet jolly to the continent for the weekend.

Thommo

LAC
Its up to you , Im An AV Just remembering the Training is alot longer for An AV but what do you want being sat around infront of a computer or fixing multimillion pound aircraft , Its a no brainer if you ask me .