• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

RAF 100 Haynes Manual

Gonterseed

Flight Sergeant
Subscriber
1000+ Posts
Mrs Seed furnished me with a copy of the RAF 100 Haynes manual which details innovations adopted by the RAF over the last 100 years. Amongst other enlightenments, it has a couple of things that made me chuckle a bit.

Miss Shillings Orifice. Any sooties out there handled this object? Apparently it improved the carburation of a Merlin engine.

The new Magnetron based Airborne Radar. Apparently got its name from when Winston asked one of his tech advisers his opinion on the "new airborne RADAR development. His tech guy said "It Stinks". This got back to the boffins and they named the RADAR H2S

(H[SUB]2[/SUB]S is the chemical formula for Hydrogen Sulphide which stinks of rotten eggs)

Johned

SAC
RAF 100 Haynes Manual Your Message

RAF 100 Haynes Manual Your Message

Many years ago I worked as a Tech Illustrator and one of the shop floor guys had a then well known make of Japanese motor with a Rotary engine. He loaned me a copy of the Haynes Manual for the sake of interest. Coincidentally a day or so later, My Haynes himself visited the firm touting for work and whilst passing through our office noticed "his" manual lying on my drawing board. "You haven't got one of those, have you?" he asked in passing "Not me!" I answered, his retort was "You don't want one either, that was a nightmare of a job!" 'Nuff said.