• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Race For Life, Help the Missus!!!

M

monobrow

Right, a bit of background. The wife's sister, Belinda, died 11 years ago of Neuroblastoma, a rare cancer that struck early and after a 3 year battle against it, she finally lost it at the age of 7. Last year marked Belinda's "would be" 18th Birthday, and being part of the family now, i went. I did also produce the musical melody for the remembrance service, print 100 invites and the same number of order of services. I guess because I knew this was a big thing for the family, i tried to take some pressure off the family.

Since then, the wife has seen the ads for the Race for Life, and quickly signed up. She's racing for Belinda, but would like to raise money so that more can go to research into the killer disease.

It's a 5k race, run by tescos. She's really determined to do this aswell. She can't get up the stairs usually without getting out of breath, so a 5k race will be quite a challenge she wants to take head on.

So, if you can spare a fiver, please go to the website below and sponsor her. It's something she feels strongly about.

Heres a link -> http://www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/niomit

M

monobrow

Many thanks Plumber and to gemarriot. The wife asked me to post a big thank you for your kind words and for the sponsorship.

G

gemarriott

It's a pleasure:pDT_Xtremez_30:

come on lads and lasses this is a really good cause! Who hasn't been affected by cancer at sometime or other?

Have whip round in the tea bar and make a donation, :pDT_Xtremez_30:

B

Bluntend

My Story, for what its worth...

My Story, for what its worth...

Just to add a bit of weight to Monobrow’s fund raising campaign, I, like Plumber and I am sure many other e-goaters have either lost friends and family to this disease or have friends and family affected by it. My mother, a non-smoker and light drinker developed Breast cancer about 15 years, she beat it but it was a real struggle. My father, again a non-smoker and light (ish) drinker was not so lucky. He developed a tumour and was rushed into hospital on the Thursday, by Monday night he had died. I also have a very good friend and colleague as well as a neighbour who are both fighting the disease. I guess what I am trying to say, probably badly, is that Cancer is an evil disease, one that strikes completely indiscriminately, often without warning. In the case of my parents, neither was considered 'high risk', but they got the ‘Big C’ anyway. Through supporting charities like Cancer Research UK we can contribute a bit towards the fight for a cure – a lot of advances have been made over the years but there is still a long way to go. So to back up the point made by Monobrow, Plumber and Gemarriott, please give as generously as you can afford.

Bluntend out. :pDT_Xtremez_19:

P

POB

Done.

I am not going to go on about it, but have survived 2 bouts of cancer, (some of you may have read the thread I started). Please give generously.

M

monobrow

it's true, an indescriminent killer. My grandad got the big C when i was a kid. Must have been when i was about 6 or 7. At the time i just knew grandad went into hospital. after a while, i was told he wasn't coming back and cried (well i was just a wee nipper). It was only later on in life that I found the true details of how hard it was on my mum. A year later, she had a nervous breakdown, partially attributed to the stress of it all. My grandad at the last stages was in my mums words "a skeleton with skin on" he had no muscles left as it ate them away and his body couldn't cope.

I have donated (albeit i filled in the form and gave her 20 quid) as I want to help the charity. There is no personal gain in this, it's money to help people fight this massive killer.

Thanks to all who have donated. I'll let my wife do the next post though as she wants to write a personal note here.

M

monobrow

Thank you

Thank you

Well hello all.

My name is Niomi, im monobrow's missus. I just wanted to thank everyone personally for the messages of support and your donations. As my husband explained i lost my sister 11 years ago to this horrible killer, i was only 7 when she was diagnosed and never knew what was really wrong. I just knew she was ill. By the time i was 9 my parents had explained to me exactly what was happening. I knew that this disease was very bad but they never told me it could kill her. At 9 years old, that was all i needed to know.

My sister was the bravest person i have every had the pleasure of knowing. The picture i have of her on my web page is of a time when it looked like she might get better. But just 6 months later ( i know the following may sound funny to read but trust me it wasnt) her head had doubled in size, her wrist was no bigger than the card board tubes you have inside toilet rolls, and she looked like she had gone 15 rounds with mike tyson. She had bruised eyes and at 1 point she had 7 ulcers in her mouth. Even then she still smiled. She never gave up hope.

I was just 11 when she died. My sister was 7 years old. She didnt have a long life but from what my parents have told since, her cancer was a very rare, aggresive form back then. But thanks to charities like cancer research, she was able to fight this for so long. She may not have had a long life but she had a very happy one. I miss my sister everyday, even after 11 years, and thats why i want to do this race. I am determined to run it (as hubby said i couldnt even climb the stairs) and do my bit to save more lives.

Thank you again for everyones donations and kind words. Even though none of you know me, it just goes to show that there are good people in this world.

I will have hubby post a pic when i have completed the race.

G

gemarriott

enjoy the run:pDT_Xtremez_34:

Come on people let's help get Mrs Monobrow past her target, i't only a couple of pints and 2 minutes to fill the form in. :pDT_Xtremez_28:

G

gemarriott

Just wanted to add my reason for supporting this appeal. about 14 years ago around Christmas I lost my mother to Adrenal cancer. It affects only about one in every 2 milion people. It took less than 3 weeks from diagnosis to her dying of heart failure brought on by the cancer. she was only 61 years old.

2 years ago all but for a few weeks I lost my only sister to the same dreadful cancer. she was brave but unable to beat the disease, it took 5 weeks to kill her from being diagnosed. she was just 51 years old.

Cancer took 2 of my grandparents as well. Without money the scientists cannot beat this killer so please give what you can.

E

enginesuck

Great cause my missus ran her race for life a couple of weeks ago, gave me a good excuse to get off my arse and go an a few training runs with her, of course im 50 quid worse off for sponsoring her but it is all worthwhile, good luck with your forthcoming race...

fat lazy techie

Flight Sergeant
Mono

Sponsoring someone I work with to help such a good cause. The more raised the better.

Good luck to all those taking part.:pDT_Xtremez_28:

R

ROTORHEAD

Monobrow/Naomi.
Hope the race went well and lots of shekels collected.
My daughter was diagnosed with neuroblastoma at the age 12 months, this only after a lot of nagging at the local so called expert, who eventually got her MRI scanned (not a priority) Once diagnosed she was moved to Jimmys in Leeds and better care could not have been forthcoming. The team there were and remain superb. At the age of 14 Months, in October 2002, she had a potato sized tumor removed, our 9/11. She still has part of the tumor inside her that could not be safely removed, which is to date behaving, long may that continue.
I'm only sorry that your sister could not still be with you, but your efforts to help others is wonderfull. Good luck!
The childrens side at Jimmys runs a charity called lamplighters, another worthy cause.

M

monobrow

Hello again!

Hello again!

Well hi all, its Mrs Monobrow again just wanted to give you all an update.

Last sunday i completed the race for life! I walked most of it but ran a little and i done it in just under 50 minutes! (which from what i have heard from friends is about the average)

Walking round the course and reading everyones back signs was very emotional and made you realise just how many people are struck down with this terrible disease, young and old alike. When i finished Monobrow was there to meet me and he was very proud of me, i was very proud of myself. I looked up and and said there you go darling, i done it for you!! Then the tears flowed. I had so much fun on the day but the emotion was very over-whelming but im glad i did my part to help. So far i have raised £130 but my target is £180, im just £50 short. My web page is still taking donations until the 18th june, so please please please if you havent already, log on and sponsor me. It doesnt matter if its £1 or £10, it all goes to help saving lives, just remember to gift aid it, it doesnt cost you anything, it comes from the taxman!!!!!!

Well, thank you again for all of your support and sponsorship it has made a lot of difference!

Mrs Monobrow xx

Rotorhead, im so sorry to hear about your daughter. It seems so much worse when children are affected. Give her my best and good luck for what i hope will be a long and happy future. xx

:pDT_Xtremez_28: www.raceforlifesponsorme.org/Niomit

Last edited:

wobbly

E-goat Head *****
Administrator
Monobrow mate, if you have a Paypal account E-goat will be able to donate some of its donations to your cause. Please PM me.

I have also put info regarding this thread on the front portal page of e-goat. I hope your still collecting for this even though youv'e done the race already.

M

monobrow

Thank you so much!!!

Thank you so much!!!

Hi Wobbly, thank you so so much for the donation! It now means i have reached my target!!!!

I cant beleive how generous and supportive complete strangers can be! Thank you to everyone who donated and wished me well, i am very grateful for all the help, and of course, cancer research will be thankful as well!

Thanks so much......again!

Mrs Monobrow :pDT_Xtremez_30:

T

The Masked Geek

The wife did her run on Sunday. Then the silly moo desided it would be a good idea to do a skydive for sports relief......