• Welcome to the E-Goat :: The Totally Unofficial RAF Rumour Network.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Questions about WSOp(EW)

Hi,

I've just finished a degree (BEng(Hons)) in Aerospace Engineering and I've submitted an application to become a WSOp.

I'm interested in the Electronic Warfare side and I've searched the forums for more info but I still have a few questions:

1) What kind of aircraft would I be flying in? Do WSOp(EW)s fly in helicopters?

2) Would I be involved in flight planning? I'm interested in technical things, so meteorology and navigation would interest me. Would these be things I would be involved in, or is that more the Crewman side?

3) Just because it's always good to have ambitions: are there any opportunities to fly in fast jets or be involved with the JSFAW?

And a more general question on WSOps:

4) If I decided that it was something I wanted to do, are there any opportunities to cross over and become a pilot? It's not my goal atm but I can see my self being interested in it.

I've searched the forums but all the questions (and answers) on this forum on WSOps deal with the Crewman side. I've got a presentation next Thursday at the recruiting office but I suspect that will mostly be recruiting shpeel.

Thanks in advance.

iainrm

Corporal
Pilots

Pilots

The recruitment process is geared to finding fast jet pilots. Those that fail to make the grade along the way get to fill all the more minor roles. Never forget they are always second best.
So yes go for pilot first.

FOGHORN LEGHORN

Sergeant
As an ex-WSOp I'd advise you go pilot. However; question 1: puma, chinook, C17, voyager, C130, RJ and sentry. Soon to add Atlas to the list. Question 2: yes. Sortie planning is part of the role of a WSOp and forms a large part of the generic WSOp training course. 3: generally speaking no. 4: just go pilot...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk